Saturday 23 February 2019

28mm Frigate Update - Almost There! 




I have omitted to take pictures through the week as I gradually progressed the 28mm frigate project, but I have done quite a bit of work on it today, so I remembered to take some progress shots at various points.

I think I am more or less finished now, apart from buying ten naval cannon for the top deck (in the end, I have just represented the lower deck guns with dowel)

I am pretty pleased with how the ship looks at this stage but the biggest challenge is yet to come - painting the bloody thing! And doubtless, after all this time and effort, it will only ever appear in two or three games - oh well, c'est la vie!
Where I started the day - very fiddly work drilling small holes to hold toothpicks...
Work I did earlier in the week - added guns, open gun port covers, bracing inside the upper hull and a strip of balsa along the top on each side


I also made three sets of steps so the crew can gain access to the upper deck areas


Another angle on the same view but several hours later when all the railings have been added!

This is what I spent several hours doing today - adding railings around the fore and after decks.

Whilst in between, I cut and glued the cross beams onto the three masts

I am pretty happy with the end result - and yes, I do have the forward spar, I just forgot to put it in place for the photo session!

I have a few little touches to add - round decorations at all the corners of the railing, a flag pole on the stern etc - but fundamentally, I think this vessel is now completed

8 comments:

  1. Your certainly sailing through this....;-/

    I know... I just couldn’t help myself.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I wish it had been all plain sailing but a couple of times I have been down in the Doldrums and had to batten down the hatches! I have taken all your comments on board however...

      Delete
  2. Terrific work. Some great details on this model, and I’m looking forward to seeing it painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so am I Lawrence - maybe I should sub contract that part out!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff Keith. Are you going to make a sunken version? BTW have you been adding to the Middle Eastern buildings...that looks like three big plastic storage containers of them in the background, which seems to be more than the collection you took down to Tarawera a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way Mark - that ship will never sink because it is never going to meet anything that can sink it - all it is, is a mobile gun platform! No, no new middle east buildings recently - I probably just did not bring them all to Tarawera - I made a heap about four or five yaers ago!

      Delete
  4. What a great result! Black and yellow or something more exotic?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Iain and apologies for the late response - and obviously, the passage of time has answered your question :)

      Delete