Friday 15 March 2019

War of 1812 - 3rd Foot "The Buffs"




This battalion is not quite completed as it is missing a command element - which I will have to purchase separately - but I felt there was enough here to post.

The 3rd Foot arrived in N America in 1814 and remained until the war ended in 1815 - the only major engagement they participated in was the Battle of Plattsburg. As a regiment with buff coloured facings, their "small clothes" and cross belts etc were also buff coloured rather than the usual white. Another unusual distinction was that drummers are NOT dressed in reversed colours - one of those anomalies one finds with uniform regulations in the British army!

One slight complaint I would make about the Perry plastic Brits is the absence of uncovered Belgic shakos, showing the cords and front plate - it would be nice to have that option too - but its only a minor complaint as I say.

Next up I have three elements - 9 figures - in the older Stovepipe shakos - not sure if I will paint them up as a regular British battalion or a Canadian militia unit....

Here are the images  of the Buffs:






8 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, love your bases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil - I like to try and add some variety to the bases....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work again Keith. I notice you didn't overdo the buff colour on the straps, which I think can be a little exaggerated on some renditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I did notice in the images that you can hardly see a difference between the buff of the cross belts etc and the white straps on the back packs - in truth, they are quite distinct, but I did use a paler colour than what is shown in the image at the head of the post, for example.

      Delete
  4. Lovely animated unit,n nic painting and fine basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - that is one of the advantages of the Plastics - you can make five figures almost the same but not completely identical!

      Delete