Sunday 21 April 2019

15mm WW2 Tachanka

As I mentioned in a previous post, Julian purchased a couple of "end of line" Tachankas from some online retailor, that were listed as 28mm at a price that seemed too good to be true - and it was, because when they turned up, they were actually FoW WW2 in 15mm! No use to Julian - but as I have a 15mm WW2 Russian collection, he kindly donated them to me.

It comes in about ten parts - four horses, separate shafts for the rear two horses, the spar that the shafts attach onto, two axles, four wheels, the HMG and three crewmen - quite fiddly to put together in this scale as you may imagine!

I put it off for a couple of weeks and then the assembled model sat on the painting table for another week or so till I undercoated it a couple of days ago. I then completed the whole thing from start to finish in about two hours yesterday - its always a revelation how quick and easy it is to pant modern 15mm figures - Napoleonics etc would be a bit different I imagine!

I searched through the multitude of box files in the garage to find the 20 bases of mounted Peter Pig Cossacks I painted 15 or 20 years ago, just to make sure the uniforms matched - and as I went to the trouble of finding them, I touched up some of the paintwork and put some of the bases into the final shot below....






8 comments:

  1. Great job! You wait forever to see tachankas and then several in multiple scales appear in rapid succession!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan - first to comment AGAIN - I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful units rross, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Phil - don't know if I will ever get to use them in a game but they were fun to paint up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More tachankas? Looks great as do your Cossacks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Iain - unfortunately, looking at them again, I have realized the horse team should be 1 x 4 not 2 x 2 - but I might just leave the first one the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, and I hope mine come out as well when I finally get around to them. I think the 2 x 2 arrangement looks far better than 1 x 4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lawrence! There was a clue with the FoW bases they came supplied with - IF I had bothered to think about it! Oh well, never mind.....

    ReplyDelete