Sunday 31 May 2020

A New Parade - Girl Power

Today my family decided they wanted to go out shopping and I managed to get out of it...phew! To celebrate this lucky escape, I decided to throw my one and only base cloth over the dining room table and present a collection that has hitherto remained primarily in the shadows (pun intended!)..my Dark Ages Valkyrie Army, mainly consisting of Shadowforge figures from Australia. At around $5 per figure, this could possibly be my most expensive army, but then, pretty girls always cost more, but you don't mind paying!

Quite a few images here and some are not the best ever, but hopefully you enjoy them. This army has seen action a few times at my mate Julian's, taking on his Arthurian Britons or Saxons.


First up is the light infantry contingent. These are a mixture of Shadowforge "Tribal" and  Eureka Amazon ranges


The "Tribal" commander  (centre stand)





Tribal archers (the pretty girls) by Shadowforge


Next, the actual Valkyries, all produced by Shadowforge Miniatutes, now available through Eureka.

The first batch were my original basing...I only did a few figures like these before reverting to my standard 3 figures on a 40 x 40 base





Fifteen units of Sheild wall infantry


A few close up shots of some of the Shadowforge Valkyriies



Focus on Foundry - I added a few Foundry Valkyrie figures to the mix - easy to spot as most of them are  'en deshabille" !




Next up are the SLT (Senior Leadership Team)


This leader with her wolf companion is by Reaper Miniatures


The lady in the middle is again by Reaper


A male drawn chariot by Amazon Miniatures...the crew member with shield and spear is a Shadowforge addition


Princess Clodhna and shield bearers from the Gaels range by Celtos miniatures


The cavalry leader is also from Celtos - I think she was intended as a mounted heroine...

And finally, the cavalry force. To be fair, these are not actually Valkyrie cavalry at all, because Shadowforge dont make any...so I drafted in Eureka Amazon Light, Medium and Cataphract Amazons to help their sisters out... the first three images are light cavalry




Next up are the medium cavalry - I think the Eureka horses are particularly nice sculpts





Finally, the Heavies - Amazon Cataphracti from Eureka. I actually contributed to having these figures produced, by committing to buying a certain number - like a Kick Starter before anyone had coined the phrase!







So that's my Valkyrie army collection. Its been a while since they graced a table - my regular gaming buddies seem a bit wary of taking them on, as they generally do quite well...their male opponents perhaps give way to misplaced male gallantry, which they are happy to exploit to the full....long live Girl Power!




18 comments:

  1. That is an absolute cracking army... loving the male drawn chariot. Not sure how good there charge move would be :-)
    What rules did you use for them?
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...we just use a home grown set of rules generally

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking ladies, very much more dangerous than their men folk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they say Ray...thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Indeed these pretty girls grace you collection:) quite an unusual army for historical wargame (I understand your game mates), though really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry...yes, I have to agree, they are not very historical...but they do fight just as well on the table top!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic parade of warrior women, Keith! I'm inspired to add a unit of them to my Celts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean...if I have inspired you, that is praise indeed! I look forward to your posting a unit of Celtic warrior women!

      Delete
  5. A very entertaining army Keith...
    The Amazon Miniatures’s Chariot is certainly ‘interesting’ 😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Aly..."interesting" is a nice adjective to describe the chariot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Keith, and I can sympathise with the blokes pulling the chariot. I think we all feel like that on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yes I think we do Iain!

      Delete
    2. Oops - just noticed I used the wrong name - sorry Lawrence!

      Delete
  8. I can see why you waited for the family to go out to get the girls around Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its more about cluttering the dining room table up with toy soldiers Mark - I dont think anyone would notice their gender..... :)

      Delete
  9. Awesome looking dark age army! I did say I was worried because you hadn't had any females on the blog recently, I needn't of worried!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - yes I am sure that is more than enough female content for quite some time to come!

      Delete