Saturday 23 May 2020

Some More 1879 Brits

This week I have painted and based a few more of the individual Old Glory British infantry from my small lead pile. I am not sure these will ever see action, as I have never had any real desire to pursue skirmish level games in this period, but painting them is keeping me sane till I can get started on something more exciting again post all the Covid kerfuffle.

As others have pointed out, these are some of the  better OG figures, although one of these isn't the best, the figure doubling forward with his face buried into the barrel of his rifle. The head chosen for this pose is the same "screaming"mouth option as on the guy in the red jacket pointing, and it doesn't really work very well, the open mouth just looks like a grotesque facial deformity!


A group shot


Officer in blue patrol jacket


Not sure about this figure...is he an officer? He has no equipment and is wearing knee high boots, so I think he may be....


This is the guy with the deformed face 0- I took the image from an angle where it does not show


A couple of private soldiers advancing



A sergeant encouraging the front rank to keep moving forward...the pose does not work so well when individually based of course!


18 comments:

  1. Old Glory’s British colonial range is a good one. I like the NWF range too. Really, Old Glory has a lot of good ranges. Nice painting, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan...I agree, Old Glory have many very nice ranges...the NW Frontier are particularly good

      Delete
  2. I quite like Old Glory figures, you always get action poses which is great for Skirmish games (even if you have no desire to Skirmish with them) They do, like you said have the odd strange figure though. I painted up tons of their 1745 Highlanders many moons ago. Some if the figures had calls a 70, Russian shotputer would have been proud of, not to mention some heads turned at near 45 degrees, ala the Exorcistand they weren't even possessed!

    Cool painting anyway! I reckon that mysterious officer type is an nco, a sergeant perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...yes totally relate to what you say about some of the "dynamic" poses OG come up with occasionally...some of the faces too are caricatures...but overall a lot of the figures are pretty good.

      Delete
  3. Characterful and beautiful minis, love the officer in blue jacket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PHIL...the dark blue makes a nice change from all that scarlet!

      Delete
  4. Very nice reinforcement:) I think it’s fine to do something in advance, never know how our life twists in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Dmitry...wise words indeed!

      Delete
  5. More good looking troops for colonial wars,good luck keeping sane!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...I continue that struggle daily!

      Delete
  6. More nice toys Keith ...
    The sergeant does look like he is swinging his arms a bit enthusiastically... 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...the sergeants pose works well if he is on a base with two or three other figures and he can be positioned appropriately...mounted singly, it looks a bit odd!

      Delete
  7. Nice job Keith they have some real character.
    One of my favourite periods. Several years ago our club managed to get some pics into War Games Illustrated as you could imagine the family were really impressed :-)
    http://dusttears.blogspot.com/2012/10/wargames-illustrated-photo-shoot-wyvern.html
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu, it's certainly one of my favourite periods in terms of the uniforms..thanks for the reference to yor fifteen minutes of fame, I will check it out.

      Delete
  8. These look great Keith. Very colourful and dynamic. I haven't purchased any Old Glory, but like the look of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence...I have generally been happy with most of my Old Glory troops, although they are not to everyone's taste

      Delete
  9. Beautiful painting and the poses look 'just the ticket'. I really like the added backdrop (via computer editing, I presume?) to the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I think on the whole, these OG figures are very nice. Re the background, you credit me with too much IT skill - I simply printed off some scenery from Google earth and attached it as a backdrop to a cardboard "photobox" I use to take pictures of completed figures :)

      Delete