Monday 26 October 2020

Final Countdown to a Tactical Withdrawal

The Great Tarawera Wargame Extravaganza is upon us, we have had two or three days without a single case of Covid 19 in the community (we do have some cases in the managed isolation facilities but that’s ok), so looks like nothing can get in the way of this finally going ahead! Twenty four hours ago, Mark referred to it as a “retreat”, but being a military man, I prefer my description!

The rather uninspiring header image of a pile of cardboard file boxes is my contribution to the weeks activities – a great deal less than it often is, as I am not running a game this year and am not required to bring along any scenery.

The yellow boxes contain 28mm Napoleonic Austrians for Chris’s game, whilst I am also contributing the Light Division to Marks Crimean game, some Buffalo Soldiers to Julian’s Pony Wars game and western gunfighters to our quick Sunday morning game, run by Rick.

Following the images of boxes and some of their contents, there are the latest three Fenryll figures, the third of the Noble Ladies and two more serving girls. The latter two must have been amongst the first sculpts, as unlike all the others, they come attached to a resin base that is approx 5-6mm thick, making them tower over everyone else in the collection. I did have a half-hearted attempt at sanding down the bases but I was too scared I would bugger up the figures, so in the end I did not reduce the thickness by much. They are most likely only going to be “human scenery” anyway, so it probably doesn’t matter that much.

I had a good result on the second package of Fenryll figures – for once the extortionate cost of international shipping actually worked in my favour – the charge via NZPost to return the package to Thierry in France was NZ$60 tracked and NZ$40 untracked – as the intrinsic value to him of the figures is presumably very little bar his labour, he told me it was not worth it to him and so I now have a second tranche of all the figures!

A number of posts will follow in about ten days’ time as I document our week away, although our friend Mark at 1866 and all That may be sending out evening reports live from the battlefield, so mine may end up being a bit redundant – but that wont stop me! 


 
Contents of the first Austrian box - Jaegers. Grenzers and Landwehr

 
The British Light Division for the Crimean War

 
Some Western Gunfighters

 
The full contingent in the boot (trunk) of my CX5

 
Serving wench number one, carrying a bucket of water - perhaps she should be christened "Jill"?






 
Serving wench number two, carrying some fresh backed bread in a basket on her head



 
The third Noble Lady with a suitably Jacobean background



 
That's my last post for a while.

Stay safe, take care in these troubled times, and I will be in touch again soon!

18 comments:

  1. Keith, I am likely not alone in being quite envious of your upcoming Wargaming holiday. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan...I have little doubt much fun will indeed be had!

      Delete
  2. Keith, enjoy your week. I wish people here (UK) had worked as hard as you guys in getting this Covid under control - I don’t think anyone here can be certain of even a single day wargame event taking place anytime soon. Look forward to your reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm....we do have many distinct advantages of course, being an islated island at the bottom of the world...but many Asian countries have done similarly well. Britan and Ireland are islands too and could have done what we did, if they had the political will...it's all too late now unfortunately. Take care and we will post some reports and pics for you.

      Delete
  3. Well have a safe journey and I know you will all have a great time. Really looking forward to 'photos from the get-together given any FtF gaming or shows aren't even on the horizon here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve.... will certainly have a great time and happy to share it via the blog

      Delete
  4. A precious cargo in deed, a week of gaming one can only dream :-)
    Have fun Keith and take plenty of photo's.... not jealous at all ;-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu, just logged in briefly at work so I could reply before I am off line for the rest of the week!

      Delete
  5. Have a great week Keith. I look forward to reports of the games!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James - slight hiccup at the last minute with our friend Mark who cant travel today but hopefully can join us in a day or two....

      Delete
  6. Have a great trip Keith, and I'll look forward to reading the reports upon your and Mark's return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - it was a great few days away and just about to start downloading photos...hundreds of photos...!

      Delete
  7. Looks impressive and promisingly. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry - a good time was had by all!

      Delete
  8. Looks and sounds good, Keith. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - apart from a splitting headache one night (caused by lack of hydration I would imagine) I managed to stay healthy over the week away!

      Delete
  9. The figures look great Keith! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray - we DID have a good trip despite a couple of unforeseen events - and now I am home again....boo! May get one post done this evening although I understand Mr Strachan at 1866 has already posted a couple of times....

      Delete