Wednesday 27 January 2021

Minor Progress and an Unexpected Arrival

Today when I arrived home, there was a small brown padded envelope of foreign extraction awaiting me adjacent to the painting desk in the garage. "That's odd" quoth I. "I have not ordered anything recently...."

Turns out that Caliver had sent a pack of Crusader Miniatures Dragon Portes Command, that I ordered months ago, along with1 each of Dragons Porte Rifles I and II. They are intended for use as the Latvian Rifle Division, one of the elite units of the Bolshevik forces during the RCW. I chose these early WW2 French figures as the Latvians sported the distinctive "Adrian" helmet but not the ubiquitous French style folded back greatcoats most WW1 French troops are sculpted in. 

However, when the original order of Copplestone RCW figures arrived, the two rifle packs were absent and the incorrect command pack had been sent! The helpful chaps at Caliver have obviously finally obtained the correct pack from their supplier and sent it ex Nottingham on 11 Jan - so only a fortnight to get here - not bad in the "unprecedented" Covid environment! As it happens, I received an email from the said chaps the other day, advising me they now have Riflemen packs I and II available for purchase, so that will be sorted out in the next few days.


I have also managed to get in a little bit of painting time and have completed one test figure from the Assault Group caliver armed Border Militia that will be used as Government troops in our Border Reivers skirmishes. I have to admit, I wish they had a uniform - I would find it much simpler than trying to use my imagination to create something that looks realistic for mid sixteenth century Scottish infantrymen....I am reasonably happy with this one, but what will I do with the second, and the third.... and the twentieth! I will have to do some Google research.....


I will probably use a mixture of different blues for the bonnets worn by 80% of the figures


Stockings will be subdued colours - greys or blues


The tunics and breeches are going to be the challenge - they all have these baggy, multi faceted Landesknecht type breeches, which I will want to make slightly different on each figure....


Anyway, that's if for tonight. I currently have three more Fenrll maids, eight War of 1812 US Militia and three more of the TAG Border Militia in various stages of completion on the painting desk - focus, that's what is required, focus!

Another trial run of Sharp Practice with my mucker Julian tomorrow evening, so should have some insights to share on Friday or over the weekend. 

26 comments:

  1. Nice post Keith, the TAG figures are rather nice.
    I agree with you, its so much more of a challenge when having to make up clothing choices, I had the same with mine and in the end when for consistency of block colours, the African militia for my modern project were a nightmare... far to much, red, green, yellow and blue all in the same place if you look at real life imagines.. it never transferred well to Mini's...
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu - just spent an hour looking but have yet to find any inspirational images....I know what you mean about moderns - I had the same problem with Taliban and Arab "Insurgents"!

      Delete
  2. Nice surprise ... and well done Caliver. I like the detail on the figure, a great opportunity to get a splash of colour into a unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I agree they are lovely figures...just not sure how I will paint them. I am sure I will come up with something though!

      Delete
  3. The border militia look great. I kept to a limited colour palette when I did mine. Helps tie them together without a uniform as such

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Neil! I am still experimenting with the correct combination of colours.

      Delete
  4. Nicely painted Border figures, Keith. BTW, my recent Perry Russian order was missing an item (1 cannon); they sent it out the following week and it only took about a week to get to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean...I think I painted this one guy in the time it took you to paint an a tire infantry division! Good result on the second item from the Perry's

      Delete
  5. That a great job on the figure, Keith! I am still awaiting half of a Christmas order from Caliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. Seems a bit hit and miss, if you compare that with Dean's experience above...have Caliver actually sent the missing part of your order?

      Delete
  6. Its always great when something pops through the post, especially when you've forgotten it! The Reiver look pretty cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray...yes it was a nice surprise !

      Delete
  7. Nice to get a pleasant surprise! The militia man looks good, I've been thinking about uniforms as I wade through 24 more gendarmes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a surprise Iain, as I had not ordered anything for weeks! Yes, I did think of your Italian Renaissance armies when writing my comments....trouble is, I assume the Scots would be somewhat more dour than the Italians and Spaniards!

      Delete
  8. Nice to have surprise packages arrive as it can really make your day. The militai man looks good but have to agree that it is a pain them not having a uniform, which makes chosing colours so much harder than for uniformed figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All true Steve - I will hopefully come up with something pleasing to the eye but semi believable!

      Delete
  9. Nice work and interested to see how the French paint up, I have been thinking about some ww1 Germans to add some variation to my RCW collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - you may have to wait a while to see them, although if I get frustrated with getting the right colour combos for the Renaissance Scots, I might do the RCW figures for stress release!

      Delete
  10. It’s always nice when toys pop through the letterbox...

    I would probably paint the breeches just one colour... I think only rich people from the likes of Edinburgh could have afforded ‘posh’ colourful clothes...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, you are probably right but the figures all have those fancy bloody breeks so I have to do something...I can't just paint them Hodden Grey with a blue bonnet....

      Delete
  11. Great work Keith. Yes, give me a uniform every time over having to think up colours for irregular troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lack of imagination I expect Lawrence....my creativity gene is under developed!

      Delete
  12. Love that Border Militiaman Keith. You have brought out the character in the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you indeed! The TAG miniatures are very nice sculpts, so quite easy to do a good job with them!

      Delete
  13. Border Militia looks fantastic, Keith! The google search is tricky sometimes. Apart from nice things there is a lot of inaccurate information from non-commodity sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise words Dmitry...in the end, I have copied an idea from Aly and also my own creative idea on what might have been!

      Delete