Thursday 15 April 2021

Great Northern War "Osterbottens Regemente"

 I have commenced work on the fifth of my current batch of six Swedish GNW units, the Osterbottens Regiment, which appears to have been Finnish in origin - I chose it because I had the flag again and also because they seem to have had a red faced uniform.

Swedish name: Österbottens regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Österbotten Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1733. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Åbo County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "20th Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Blue coat with red cuffs


This is the flag - its from a different source and not as "arty" as the previous ones but I think its adequate for 28mm figures,


The command base of officer, two standard bearers and three pikemen. I do like the red facings for a change!


I used the white "CRS" flag that comes with the other batch of standards, so this will retain some uniformity amongst the regiments when they are together on the table



I touched up the six white animals on the standard with paint - I am not 100% sure what animal they are...horse, stag...?? This angle gives the best view of the standard


And to add to the excitement, both these small parcels turned up yesterday - 10 replacements from Nick Wragg at Ebor for a few of the original batch that were damaged in transit, plus a small order from Caliver.


I must commend Ebor again for their great customer service ethic. Nick has sent ten figures at no charge to me, and the postage was £10! That's a ridiculous cost for about 300g but it shows his dedication to his customers. He is getting his reward through the fact I have just ordered another six battalions and most likely will get a reasonable force of cavalry thereafter!


Contents of the Caliver order - firstly, 20 early WW2 French infantry that I will repurpose as the Latvian Rifle Division in the Russian Civil War - (they wore the Adrian style helmet, dontcha know?)


I have been looking at some of the Canadian "Pulp Figures" for several years and have finally taken the plunge with these two packs - I expect more will follow in due course, as they look like very nice, crisp figures that will go well with the likes of Copplestone etc.


22 comments:

  1. Hi Kieth- You'l do well with the PULP figures by Bob Murch- he has a splendid range. Stay safe and well there in New Zealand. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lev! Yes, I have always liked the look of them but they seemed expensive ex Canada...now Caliver have them, the cost is more reasonable.

      Delete
  2. Nice, big flag! It looks great. Always a pleasure getting a package of figures in the mail. Murch’s figures are so characterful. In which project will you be using the explorers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. I am not really sure where all these ladies will turn up...several are destined for the Back of Beyond/Russian Civil War but any wearing pith helmets are more likely to serve in Colonial periods!

      Delete
  3. More lovely GNW troops, Keith. Love the uniform colors and flags. Nice new shiny toys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, variety IS the spice of life, after all.

      Delete
  4. Another lovely unit and nice to have some variety on facing colours etc. As always the flags look great. Superb customer service from Nick at Ebor too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, I am planning a couple more non standard GNW uniformed units too. I hope my mentioning how good Ebor treats their customers gets Nick a little extra business , he deserves it!

      Delete
  5. Another lovely looking regiment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work on the the next regiment, standard looks fine to me, but I am no expert. Looking forward to seeing the french repurposed for the RCW 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I am thinking I might do some of the RCW figures over the weekend, as a bit of a change from all those turnips...... I mean Swedes!

      Delete
  7. Another great looking unit Keith. I really like the flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray...the Swedes certainly know how to do a good flag!

      Delete
  8. Nice Hurray for red facings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Canadian "Pulp Figures" - Very nice.
    Now that is a change from the Swedes.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Stu. I saw the new ones on another blog (Neil's Toy soldiers and dining room battles I think) and thought it was time to get a few after years of looking and prevaricating!

      Delete
  10. Very nice Keith, and the Swedes certainly have more variety beyond just the blue and yellow. The dark blue on the flag is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lawrence....although the flag is not from the same batch or in the same style as the previous units, I think it works very well. I found it on a very useful Swedish site, helpfully presented bilingually in English, and including free to copy infantry and cavalry standards ...a great resource !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid looking Finnish regiment! The Latvian troops sound interesting, RCW and SCW both sound tempting but I will remain resolute!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Hahaha, I read your comments re SCW on Trebians blog last evening....we shall see!

      Delete