Monday 24 January 2022

A Trio of Pulp Personalities

 Here are the three figures I had on the painting table for the last seven days or more - some of the recent arrivals from Noble Knight Games, they are all Reaper Miniatures. Two have been completed as Chinese and the third, being a Geisha, could only really be Japanese!


They are, from the left, Oyuki the Geisha, Xiufang the Femme Fatale and Ziao Lu a Female Monk


Xiufang is a rather tall 28mm figure - maybe she had a European ancestor - that could be part of her back story perhaps!


A very nicely sculpted pose though



I Googled painted versions for some inspiration and settled on this design


Final close up of the Chinese Femme Fatale


Ziao Lu the Female Monk has been painted in the Chinese Grey colours




This was one of the Reaper "Bones" figures and is in some kind of rubber like plastic - I dont think I would go with that option again, the paint (on her hair in particular) seems to have dried very glossy and the detail is not anything like as sharp as a metal version - she will do though.


Last but not least is Oyuki the Geisha


I decided to do her with the traditional white face make up


I only really noticed when I had finished that she bears quite a resemblance to the previous Geisha armed with a katana - in fact, I originally had her waist belt painted red but changed to blue to make her a bit less like the previous figure! The pink of her kimono is a paler shade but its a subtle difference to be honest...



This was supposed to be a close up of the face but doesn't seem any closer than any of the previous images!


I noticed I had forgotten to paint in the decorations in her hair so did that and took one final image as I was too lazy to delete all the previous images and redo them!

I have now assembled both the RCW Bolshevik Field Gun and the mounted Border Reivers - I have one Reiver under coated, so looks likely he will be next of the blocks for a paint job....

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wow - that was an instant comment Michal - I only posted this a couple of minutes ago - thanks for your positive feedback as always my friend!

      Delete
  2. More lovely ladies Keith…
    Oyuki’s makeup is particularly striking.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I avoided the white face look on the previous Geishas as I wanted to paint them with natural skin tones but I decided I should do at least one with the traditional look!

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Keith and the last figure is very striking, both in pose and with the whitened face. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I must say I like the geisha too, although the Chines femme fatale is pretty engaging too!

      Delete
  4. Very lovely trio. You did a good job emphasizing skin tones and some subtle folds in the clothing. Sometimes the 'bones' figures are annoying to paint.

    Awaiting the border rievers appearance, and some tales of punk daring do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe - the Reivers should not be too far off - stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. Nice work there KEITH- everything seems to be coming together for you PULP FICTION Project- well done! Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good use of patterning on the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I was particularly happy with the white on blue design.

      Delete
  7. Fine looking trio of ladies, Keith. The floral patterns on the dress are really nice. Geisha’s skin tones look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding work. Great details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, nice to hear from you again - I guess being back at work has reduced your spare time for blogging related activities :)

      Delete
  9. Nice work Keith. You must have a swag of pulp figures completed by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly do Lawrence - far TOO many individuals like these I expect! I have liked a huge range of these types of figures for years but never bought them as I had no gaming purpose for them - the Pulp Project has been a perfect excuse to buy some of them - there are LOTS more I would like to paint but I really need to stop soon!

      Delete
  10. Those are lovely and a great addition to your collection, loving the makeup, what a great pulp project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - yes, as mentioned a few times Stu, I am certainly having fun with it - but I really must make some effort to try out some rules or move forwards towards actually using them in a game!

      Delete
  11. Nice job on the sex-ay ladies. Especially the fancy dresses. Though I think if my wife saw me painting these she would think I was up to something devious. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or perhaps even deviant, Stew? I don't think my wife pays much attention to exactly what the figures are,they sit out on the painting desk in our garage where she walks past numerous times per day, and she has never asked "When did you stop painting toy soldiers and start painting tarts?"!

      Delete
  12. Hope this comment gets through okay, I’ve tried twice now with no luck. You appear to be creating a whole army of tarts mate. Will you be fielding them as such? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - yes it made it JBM! Well now - in total, I probably have more "real" soldiers for this project that tarts - approx ten each of Afrika Korps, 8th Army, Japanese, Italian, French and two lots of Warlord Chinese...but the were mostly painted a while ago. I do feel I need to get some male character figures to balance things out - my rough concept is each contingent will have about 15 members - 10 standard "troops" then 4-5 "characters" - the problem is, at the moment I probably have more than 5 female Japs, for example, and I really only "need" 2 or 3 (the others should be male....) The rest of the nationalities ae ok - apart from the Germans - I have far too many nasty Nazi Frauleins too - but they are cool figures and fun to paint! I am looking at a Spanish contingent and Aly M suggested the Milicianas - which would be great - but then the WHOLE Contingent would be senoritas!

      Delete
  13. Splendid trio of pulp figures, reading your comments I'm reminded of my dad's advice to my brother when he joined the army,"Don't get a tattoo and don't marry a tart!" Luckily he only did one of those!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like sage advice Iain and hopefully, your brother has a tattoo!๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  14. Impressive brushwork on these lady characters, Keith. I've probably only painted a few female figures - I always have trouble with their faces - not looking feminine enough. Yours are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I think the sculpting helps a lot. Once upon a time, female figures had faces and body shapes that made them look like men with breasts! Even today, some sculptors aren't that great at emphasising the difference...but there are plenty who can!

      Delete