Sunday 15 May 2022

I Finally Painted Something!

 So, for the first time in a while, I actually have some genuine wargaming content on this blog. Don't get too excited, its not an ACTUAL wargame, just painted figures - but that's a step in the right direction at least!

Still got a couple of days worth of S Island holiday pics to get through too, so don't think you have dodged THAT bullet!


The two FT 17 tanks and one of four field guns. I left the tanks without markings at this stage as they can be generic and fight on either side as required


Some close ups of the gun...Minairons helpfully do separate Republican and Nationalist gun crews, so they are likely to be part of the next order




Several views of one of the FT 17's




As my natural sympathies lie with the Republicans, I started painting the Nationalists first! Above an officer


Rifleman


Another officer


Standard bearer


FT 17 and infantry to give an idea of scale - I think they work well

What do you think of the uniform colour? It looks far too bright to me but it is as recommended on the rear of the packet and as the paint is Vallejos, both figure manufacturer and paint supplier are Spanish - so they should know what they are talking about...?!

Yesterday, after several hours searching the internet, I ordered some additional tanks from a site in Poland! Super-Hobby.com has a number of kits by a Polish manufacturer First to Fight and obviously the German kit is all very early - PzKfw I and II at about £5 each! I also got a couple of T26 Russian tanks. Tha'ts the great thing about 20mm, literally thousands of plastic kits available for all forms of vehicular support!

Now, in Part Two of todays post, here are the latest batch of holiday snaps.....


The day started with a return trip over the Remarkables, which we last did in darkness! (see sunset over the mountains in a previous blog)





I believe the sign says its the highest or second highest sealed road in Mew Zealand





After the breath taking views, we headed back up the Gibbston Valley - todays plan? Wine tasting!


The first stop



Unfortunately I waited till the two staff were not behind the bar to take this image, In retrospect, I wish I had a pic of Bindy, the 23 year old trainee sommelier who did our wine cave tour, because she was truly outstanding! So knowledgeable and down to earth, dismissive of all the usual tenets of wine snobbery that really P...me off. you know, "It had notes of pistachio and Cuban cigars" sort of bollox!


First vines planted early 1980's - Bindy made the comment that French tourists roll their eyes at this stage! :)


A useful map of the wine growing area, showing most of the places we visited in our 6 days 


Where the wine tasting was conducted - built illegally an the early 1980's by an alcoholic Irish journalist who knew nothing about viticulture but founded this vineyard. He paid Italian tunneling contractors working on the nearby Clyde Hydro Dam project to create this on their free weekends, paying them in barrels of wine! The cave cannot be extended and no one else can build one, because it is completely illegal - so will remain forever unique to this vineyard!


We drove on to the next vineyard at Mount Difficulty, which had some stunning scenery



If you zoom in on this pic, you can see some of the landscape has a distinctly Western US feel to it (well to our eyes anyway!)


Lunch at Mt Difficulty - I know, it looks TINY, but actually, it was plenty once eaten - beautiful Pork Belly with spot on crackling!



"Roaring Meg" is one of the locally produced wines, taking its name from this natural feature, which is used to create hydro electricity





Came across this so had to take a pic of course - also Googled the background story:

"Driver inexperience was one of the main causes behind an army Unimog crash that killed three young soldiers, the Queenstown coroner has found.

In his finding released today, Alan Macalister said all three men died of misadventure, but the accident could have been avoided if the 17-year-old driver had been supervised.

Private David James Partington, 17, the driver, Private Ashley Patrick Goodwin, 19, and Private Shane Adrian Ohlen, 21, died when their Unimog crashed through a steel road barrier and plunged about 70m into the Kawerau River at Kawerau Gorge on February 23, 2005.

The men were taking part in a driver training exercise."




Final stop of the day - Mt Rosa vineyard


Another beautifully tranquil location to sample a few local wines in the mid afternoon sun



We sampled 7 wines plus a mulled wine mix, all for the princely sum of $15 a head - a great day to be sure (our driver Brett was on Heineken Light - that's probably why he picked up bloody Covid!)

Talking of Covid, we have done our seven days, my daughter and I have tested three times and don't have it, so looking like a return to working at the office tomorrow for me - thank the Lord! My daughter has worked two or three times this week anyway - as a flight attendant she is classified as essential and just has to do a test the day she is working to make sure she is clear.

Thanks for visiting and well done on making it to the end - please do mark your visit by leaving a comment!

33 comments:

  1. Always fancy the lines of the ft 17. Very much like what you've done. My experience seeing uniforms during my time in Europe is that the greens tend to be more vibrant/bright than we think, so my guess is that shade is probably spot on. Tunnel aside, the topography and look of the region is reminiscent of the California wine country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed - interestingly, the green used is actually called American Uniform Green! I have seen a real FT 17 at a kids playpark somewhere in NZ - had a quick Google but I couldn't find it! Given topography is quite important in wine production, the similarity with Ca makes sense!

      Delete
  2. Awesome painted new stuff and beautiful trip photos sir!
    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal - relying on your countrymen for the next batch of tanks for this project!

      Delete
  3. Nice models Keith. I looked over a FT 17 at the Musée de l’Armée in Paris a few years ago. It Is no bigger than a family car and the turret not much bigger than a beer crate. I’d have hated to served in one.

    We just drove down that gorge to Cromwell today, stopping at Gibston for a tasting and to purchase a few bottles. I didn’t see a Bindy, but there was some other eye candy present 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - yes they are pretty small - mind you, Russian tanks are still a bit like that - they recruit smaller framed guys to crew them so they can maintain a low vehicle profile! I am sure I saw one in some random small NZ town years ago! Bindy WAS pretty easy on the eye, but honestly, it was her effervescent personality that was so memorable!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty - I think they came out well. I went back to the web site to get the 37mm gun version, but they must have sold out as only the MG one is available now....

      Delete
  5. Keep the trip and toy photos coming;great stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe - I am coming to the end of the Queenstown trip photos - better plan another holiday!

      Delete
  6. Nice work on both the tanks and the infantry. Some years ago when at Bovington Tank Museum, I was amazed at how small the early war tanks are, with the Italian L3/35 tankette looking absolutely tiny. I don't think I could have fitted into it to be honest. The uniforms look OK to me, with the pics of troops in combat obviously somewhat covered in dust and dirt, thus dulling them down a bit.

    Lovely photos of NZ as always:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - yes, Mark remarked on the same thing above - they certainly would have been pretty cramped inside, not my idea of fun for sure! I have decided to stick with the bright green uniforms - asked a couple of local gaming mates and they concur. Interestingly, the Republican forces seem to be more English (sic) Khaki uniforms...

      Delete
  7. Gotta love an FT17. Just doing one of my own in 10mm. Sorry you live in such a rough part of the world…lol. Keep up the good work on the SCW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM. look forward to seeing your version in due course. Living in NZ - yeah, its a hard job, but someone has to do it!

      Delete
  8. Great little tanks. Mountains, wine and wargaming can’t really go wrong 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - definitely sounds like a winning combination to me, too!

      Delete
  9. Great Post here Keith- very good of you to post your Travel Log- great places there in NZ for sure. Your Armor models look terrific- will they feature in your Pulp Fiction Games? Glad you haven't got the Virus- we've been Vaccinated four times and haven't had it yet- fingers crossed. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, glad you are still enjoying the travel pics. We have had three vaccination shots, the original two plus a booster early this year. No talk here of a fourth that I am aware of. No these tanks won't feature in any Pulp games, as that collection is 28mm and these models are 20mm.

      Delete
  10. Sure is a bright green but perhaps it is correct? Again, I continue enjoying your prolific travelogues. Beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I speed watched For Whom the Bell Tolls via YouTube last night, and the Nationalist uniforms were a lot more subdued...but I think I will just leave them as is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the way you paint your tanks Keith. Just the right amount of weathering for me, without making them look like they have been abandoned. Mind you, I have been surprised how quickly some of those Russian tank hulks in the Ukraine appear to have rusted. Nice travel pictures. I'd love to go on a wine tasting tour but I find more than a glass or two knocks me around nowadays. I'm still good with a few pints though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence....I too have noticed the damaged tanks seem to have rusted up very quickly...maybe some of them have been like that for a few years rather than a few weeks??! Isn't the first victim of war, truth? I am not a huge wine drinker but we would have been lucky to drink one full glass over the four or five samples we tried...which is fine with me by the way, tasting isn't drinking!

      Delete
  13. I like your little tenk! Nice paint jobs.
    Fantastic scenery again. You lucky thing. Re: Bindy - it's probably best not to be seen taking snaps photogenic ladies. Wives tend no to like that sort of thing 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, glad you approve. Re Bindy, you are probably right...funnily enough, I was actually at work today for the first time since the trip and mentioned how great our visit to Gibbston Wines was and before I could finish, my colleague said "Your guide wasn't Bindy was it...she is winderful!"

      Delete
  14. What are you doing painting when you should be vacationing?
    I forgot what conflict these are supposed to be but they look great. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stew....I know, time we started planning our next trip I reckon! Mind you, I do have quite a few Spanish Civil War figures to paint, and it would be nice to get a game or two in as well, and I can't do either of those when we are gallivanting around the South Island! The only real drawback is having to wate eight to ten hours a day working, but I need money to fund these important activities.....looking forward to seeing pics of your next big outdoor adventure!

      Delete
  15. The FT17’s and infantry have turned out nicely Keith…
    The scenery was spectacular… and some wine to finish things off.
    You have a hard life old chap 😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - just picked up a book called "Painting War" featuring some stunning SCW figures by Ruben Torregrosa - and the Nationalist uniforms are a MUCH more subdued green....not sure if I will repaint or leave as is.....yes, several others have commiserated with me on the tough life we have here in New Zealand - poor old Mark is up to his ears in it again this week!

      Delete
  16. Great looking tanks and troops, I'm sure they started bright but faded fast! Nice vacation pics as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't post a comment on your next post but I think the colour looks more like what I have in my Osprey and Bueno books!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird Iain....wonder why you can't get in the more recent post.....??

      Delete
  18. Glad to read no Covid!

    Your trip makes me want to go wine tasting... been a year or two since I've gone. Perhaps for my wife's 30th beginning of June... hmm...

    Love the tanks and Gun! Plan to pick up an FT-17 for my planned 28mm WW2 Greek project and these offer some cool inspiration!

    (Those bright uniforms look ok mate - they'll stand out for better on the game table.)

    ReplyDelete