Tuesday 17 May 2022

More Spanish Nationalists and the Last of the Holiday Pics

 I painted up another batch of the Nationalist troops using the bright green uniform - and then lost my nerve and calmed them all down a bit by mixing the two recommended Vallejos greens together. This was at least partly suggested by reference to this book on how to paint SCW soldiers, leant to me today by my gaming buddy Rick (who already has a substantial SCW force in 25mm, all by the rather splendid Empress Miniatures....YES, I KNOW!)




As a reminder, here are how the first four were originally painted, a few days ago..


This is what they now look like .......


To be honest, they may be more realistic but I kind of miss the bright green of the originals...














I retouched the first four too, as above - so now they all match the new, more subdued colour scheme.


Our last day in Queenstown was Friday 6 May. Scheduled to fly out at 3pm, we made the most of the remaining few hours of our holiday - first stop was the area where the renowned Shotover Jet boats operate


An interesting link between the bridge and WWI is recorded below



Next we headed up the steep, winding road that leads to the Coronet Peak ski area - although at the time we were there, not a spot of snow was in evidence!







As a consequence, the road and ski terminal were deserted - but it was a nice drive with the customary wonderful mountain scenery


We headed back to Arrowtown, where we had begun our trip six days earlier, and had a return visit to the same cafe, the ex Post Masters house.




A couple of historic pieces of "postal" infrastructure!



For those of you in various other parts of the world, a direction sign at the entrance to Queenstown airport


And a final shot of our aircraft as it waited patiently for us to board.

A great holiday only slightly marred by the fact our mate Brett and my wife managed to pick up Covid somewhere along the line. The Queenstown area was spectacular and we are already thinking about when we will return, and what we will do next time we visit!

26 comments:

  1. I like the darker green uniforms.

    You know, your recent scenics could very readily be snapped from the Western USA as you mentioned in your earlier post. Lovely country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, and kind of proves no country is uniquely beautiful...a lot of the scenery remained me of both my Scottish homeland, and Matts Cumbrian Lake District. Glancing below, it seems like everyone agrees re the new uniform colour!

      Delete
  2. As always love to see your painting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dulled down uniforms work better for me Keith. More great holiday pics, with more to come from Mark I'm sure:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve...as noted above, seems the majority view on the uniforms! I am sure you are correct about Mark although his holiday pic sharing is a bit more restrained than mine!

      Delete
  4. I think I prefer the more subdued green. Ball ache repainting them but it would have nagged at you if you’d not resolved the matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, I am sure you are right, particularly as any time they appeared in Ricks presence, he would have pointed it out!

      Delete
  5. Put me down as another fan of the more subdued green. Those Painting War books are very good, and I have a few of them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence...the Ayes certainly seem to have it! The book is a little gam, to be sure!

      Delete
  6. Splendid holiday pictures Keith…
    Of course I’m green with envy… it’s pissing it down outside 😁.

    A number of years ago I saw a selection of original Wehrmacht uniforms and not one of them was the same colour…
    Go for what pleases you and what looks good on the wargames table…
    We are after all playing with toy soldiers…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you continue to enjoy the travelogue Aly. I respect your position re the uniform colour, but it's done now...I had a reply back from Lluis at Minairons and he said the question of the actual colour is a bit controversial ... He prefers a more subdued green too but others do stick to their guns and say it was the brighter shade....looking at colourised film of Russian troops in Berlin 1945..and also the recent TV series I watched, soldiers in the same units had significant variation in the shade of green in the uniforms they wore.

      Delete
  7. Darker uniforms look good, but like you I kinda miss the bright ones.

    Those hills in the pics look like Montana to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai...can't comment on Montana but I am sure hills/ mountains look similar in many parts of the world!

      Delete
  8. Nice pics, both the figures and of Central Otago. I can tell you that the first sign of winter has been seen down south today, with a light dusting of snow on the mountains around Wanaka and a cold wind at Arrowtown and Queenstown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, my boss Jo and her senior colleagues are down there right now, doing the S Island branches budget review...the appealing location is some level of compensation for the mind numbing boredom of the task! Amy and Ruth are going down for the day in Friday ...lunch at Kinross to celebrate Amy's birthday...she is using some "thank you for working in Covid" deal from Air NZ and only has to pay the tax...two return flights cost her $20!

      Delete
  9. Is that a phone booth?? Hilarious.
    I was watching an old movie and the guy was in a phone booth and my kids asked what is that bc they’d never even seen one.

    Whatever uniform color you like I say. They’re your toys. They were good before and are good now. If your are bright green and your friends dark green then st least you could tell them apart. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what it is Stew! When I arrived in NZ in 1988, that is what they all looked like, but they did change to a newer design shortly afterwards....nowadays of course, they are almost non existent. The removal has caused unexpected social issues. Now, instead of quietly smashing them up at night, our twelve year old juvenile delinquents steal cars and use them to ram raid shops... That's progress for ya! (true story...Google, for example, "Ram raid Hamilton"....)

      Delete
  10. Great looking SCW figs and vehicles, Keith. Not at all versed in this conflict, but they do look like they make for great gaming. Beautiful scenes and weather too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean...I don't know a hell of a lot about it either....but that's never stopped me buying and painting figures in the past!

      Delete
  11. nice work Keith I think the initial green was a little bright but when they’re on the table figures often look dark anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps mountains look lovely 👍

      Delete
    2. Thanks Matt....I the majority opinion is obviously with the darker shade!

      Delete
  12. They look great and that Painting guide is great for this period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty....going to try and follow the guide on how to paint one of the Minairons figures step by step....lets see how it goes!

      Delete
  13. Always enjoy the pictures from your trips. What a beautiful countryside. Just amazing.

    The figures and your painting are outstanding. I know next to nothing about the Spanish Civil War but your painting has peeked my interest. Can you recommend avoid introduction type book to it?

    ReplyDelete