Thursday 23 June 2022

A Day Trip and Some More New Kit(s)

 Just a brief catch up tonight - I have a four day weekend coming up - Fri is Matariki (Maori New Year) and for the first time this year, its a public holiday - hurrah. And I also took an extra day off on Monday - soooo - will probably have a bit of progress to post over the next few days!

Matariki the Māori New Year in the traditional lunar calendar. In Māori culture, it is both the name of the Pleiades star cluster and of the celebration of its first rising in late June or early July. This marks the beginning of the new year in the Māori lunar calendar.

Yesterday (Weds 22 June) I was up around 0430 to make an 0630 flight down to our capital city, Wellington, for a day long business trip. First business travel I have done in about three years and I am planning to shoot down to Christchurch soon too!


Sunrise to the east around 7am, shortly after take off


Descent into Wellington


View of the city from Oriental Parade, it was a cool but clear, sunny day


Lunch Venue - Le Marche Francais








Had a very nice quiche Lorraine and a bottle of Kronenburg 1664 (the beer of the Legion  Etrangere!)




Taxi-ing for departure from Wellington


Snow on the hills in the distance - probably the Wairarapa

I made a big faux pas with my seat - I meant to be looking east on the way south (pass) and looking west on the way north (fail) There was a spectacular sunset in evidence through the window seat 15a all the way back to Auckland, unfortunately, I was in 15f, because I cocked up didn't I? So sorry, you miss out on that visual delight!

Back to the office again today and on arrival home, a few extras for my 20mm collection(s) have arrived from a local supplier - HaT horse drawn supply wagons (for SCW probably) as well as four HaT Pak 36 AT guns. From Zvezda, I have a Flak 36 88mm gun and a Russian Zis 3 AT gun.




RCW figures are nearing completion on the painting desk then I might return to 20mm SCW, and assemble a kit or two in between, so should be another post in a day or two - so . Happy New Year from the South Pacific! Thanks for stopping by and extra thanks to those who leave a comment!

21 comments:

  1. Nice looking kits, your SCW project is steaming along!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain - yes, and I have a heap more figures en route from Sunny Spain, so I best get my A into G and finish off what I already have in house!

      Delete
  2. Ah, you are living the Good Life, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, it's not at all bad Jon!

      Delete
  3. Blimey, your business lunches aren't too bad, are they?! I'm not jealous, not jealous at all...

    Nice mix of new kits too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only manage one or two per month Steve, but they do make a nice change! Good to get down to Wellington to catch up with some colleagues too.

      Delete
  4. Wellington is a nice-sized city with some great venues. One of my brothers and his family lives there, but I haven't had a chance to go back for the last five years or so. Always enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes totally agree Lawrence....I could not believe how quiet the roads were at 8am midweek....I said to the girl who collected me from the airport, it was like it was a public holiday.....and the same driving around later in the day, anywhere you wanted to stop, there was free parking ...well, AVAILABLE parking, it's all metered! Even the weather played nice, which can be a bit touch and go in Wellington, as you probably recall!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like your trip was enjoyable hope it was productive as well. Great strides in collecting as well. A good year end/start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, yes, good to get a trip in and hopefully the meeting with the customer resolved a few things, although it should all have been able to be sorted with a couple of emails/ phone calls really! We will see what eventuates.... As to the recent purchases, yes, I am on a bit of a roll at present!

      Delete
  6. Nice little trip. And it’s always fun to have toys waiting for you when you get back. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew...you are correct on both counts!

      Delete
  7. Cool photos, never been to Wellington or anywhere in the southern hemisphere. And what a homecoming too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, maybe a trip to the Antipodes is in your future one day?

      Delete
  8. Nice kits, great to see your SCW collection continue to grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty. I will have to consider a game at some point!

      Delete
  9. I greatly enjoy the pictures of your travels and your country. Never hear of the beer, I will have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great holiday weekend, Keith! Nice scenes and food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, it has been going well so far.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a decent business trip, to include very scenic flights and a lovely repast (I haven't seen Kronenberg since I was in Germany...memories). Always a plus to come home to a hobby parcel! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed...yes, one of the good days, without a doubt!

      Delete