Sunday 7 August 2022

"The Death Mask of Ramallah - Episode 4" - Sunday Pulp Solo Game

 Firstly, apologies for the long gap since episode 3. It is my own fault; I have had this idea in my head for a long time but had trouble in coming up with a way to stage it that did not involve me creating a whole series of extras scenery/terrain items. What was the idea? That the Italians had taken the powerful ancient artifact to their heavily guarded Embassy building, that's what!

Then, a couple of days ago, I came across a blog that referred to using a Cluedo board to stage hostage rescue games. This immediately piqued my interest - everyone has a Cluedo board, including us! The game was afoot, and the following is the result.

I selected the Italian guard force of one trained leader (ability 2) one junior leader (ability 1) and 4 trained infantrymen. The cost of the force was 9 points. In response, the Brits had Lady Jane heroic 3 points, Wing Commander Lloyd-Roper Senior Leader 2 points and a local asset with 1 point


The Italian Embassy is hosting a "Ladies Day" for the European ladies of the Diplomatic Corps

The retrieval of the Mask has been entrusted to British archeologist Lady Camilla D'Arcy and RAF Intelligence Officer "Fi" Lloyd-Roper, along with a local MI6 asset, Jane Wellington


The ladies mingle in the Embassy Ballroom (of course!), entertained by a local dancer


Meanwhile, two Italian riflemen stand sentry at the front entrance, while the other two patrol the grounds


I cobbled together some search rules for the Brits - they had to move from room to room and would need to roll a modified 9 or better on 2 D6 to complete a search, and then roll their ability score or less on 1 D6 ie, the local asset would only find the Mask if she rolled a 1 on this second test.


Very first move, and RAF Fi rolled a perfect score. Being a Senior Leader, she needed to roll 2 or less......


......well. that all happened a bit quicker than I expected!


The three British agents had entered the Embassy in the guise of domestic servants. Fiona, above, started the game in the kitchen. The Contessa had obviously thought this was a terribly clever place to hide a priceless artefact, who would ever think to look for it amongst the pasta, olive oil and vegetable bins....?! 


I had been rolling a random dice to have other figures wander about the place. One guest arrives in the kitchen, mistaking it for the Powder Room. "Oh, so sorry...wait, what have you got there, girl?"


The confrontation in the kitchen


The shadowy FCO officer, Kimberley Fyll - Baye, is also snooping around (top right in the black dress and smoking her trademark du Maurier cigarette), although she is decidedly NOT part of the mission.


As the flustered guest backs away from the servant, intending to report what she has seen to La Contessa, another "servant" arrives from the Ballroom. It is none other than Lady Camilla!


She rolls three dice, choosing the higher two, as she is attacking with an advantage (sneaking up behind an innocent bystander and smacking them on the head with a tray isn't terribly sporting, is it?)


Adding her three ability points to the initial 9, the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion, and the inquisitive party goer collapsed on the kitchen floor


Meanwhile, the senior Italian officer has encountered a maid cleaning one of the corridors, which seems a bit odd to him. Also, he does not seem to recognise this particular young woman, and being a lecherous womaniser, he is very well acquainted with most of the female staff!


The dice tell the story, Jane Wellingtons cover is blown!


Jane attempted to overpower the Capitan, but he was too strong for her and knocked her senseless with the butt of his Baretta pistol


As Lady Jane heads towards the exit of the Embassy, a pair of guests ask her where the drinks they requested her for ten minutes ago have got to. Ignoring the women, Lady J hurries away. "Damned cheek!" exclaims the lady in red and pink.


Having heard the commotion in the corridor, several guests, including Kim of the FCO, along with one of the ambassadors' dogs, emerge to see what is happening. The Italian junior leader (in white) also hurries to investigate


"Check all the servants now!" shouts the Capitano. "There may be more spies in the building"


As Lady Jane remains out of sight, one of the sentries also heads back into the building to see what is going on.


As Fi emerges from the kitchen, the irate guests block her path. "What on earth is going on around here?" demands the young woman in blue. "We are literally dying of thirst in there, where is that damned cocktail waitress? "LITERALLY??" thinks Fiona. "I think you are literally an idiot!"


One the other side of the Embassy, the Capitano speaks to Kim and her companion. "Please rejoin the party ladies, there is nothing going on here to concern you"


Rolling well, Fi is able to convince the thirsty guests that their drinks will be with them very soon. Breathing a silent sigh of relief, she rushes after Lady Jane, towards the front door and escape


However, as she turns the corner, she is confronted by the Italian junior leader. "One moment signorina. I have some questions for you" He rolls to interrogate her but comes up short with a score of 7 plus his ability level of 1. Lady J then tried to bluff her way past him, but she also fails, and the officer realises she is an imposter. He rushes forward to grab her but fails to roll 9 again. 


No such trouble for Lady J though as she knocks the Italian officer to the ground with her trusty drinks tray!


The sentry fired and missed and then Fiona was on him, and her superior unarmed combat skills came to the fore, with the guard collapsing in an unconscious heap on the floor


Seconds later, Fi took out the sentry at the front door, and the escape route was clear



"Not so fast" snarled the Italian Capitano as he fired a shot with his pistol.....and missed! Lady J skipped through the door and out into the night. Next turn, another shot rang out as the enraged Italian aimed for Fiona. That officer really needs to spend some time at the range....another miss and Fi disappeared through the gaping door.


Back at the British Legation, and having dispensed with their disguises, the two remaining British agents celebrate their success. "Tough luck for poor old Wellington" Lady Jane says. "Yes, but she knew the score....we are all over 21 in this job" replied the phlegmatic RAF officer. "She would be pleased to know she helped prevent this thing from remaining in dangerous hands"

I think that AAR took me longer to do than the game took to play! Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. Another episode will follow, when I can figure out something a bit mor original for the next scenario....or not!

31 comments:

  1. That is a great idea Keith and a much better use of a Cluedo board than playing the actual game. My brothers and I had a set and I can only ever recall finishing it once in spite of many attempts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol....thanks Lawrence...I actually don't mind Cluedo as a game, much prefer it to Monopoly, for example. The idea of using it for a skirmish game is pretty good...glad I pinched it from someone else!

      Delete
  2. Cracking adventure and a great idea using the Cluedo board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, it was a happy accident I came across this idea!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cluedo? I know the game as “Clue.” It must be the same game. Great idea to use it as the playing board for a Pulp adventure. Fun little diversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes it's the same game and I agree, it's a clever idea I pinched from someone else!

      Delete
    2. BTW if you want a explanation of the different names for the game, see my reply to Stew below

      Delete
  5. Great game mate, enjoyed the AAR. Cluedo boards eh…who knew?! I’ll have to try an alternative use for my monopoly and mouse trap boards sometime, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM....I look forward to seeing how you use the Mousetrap board!

      Delete
  6. Very clever and the ideal ‘theatre’ for your like of character models.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd seen the post (somewhere) about using the board game board, but this report really brings home the possibilities. Got me thinking... thanks for the entertaining report--really delivers on what pulp gaming can bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. These little games give me the opportunity to add all sorts of narrative to the AAR, which I quite enjoy!

      Delete
    2. I went and found the blog I pinched the idea from... it is here

      http://tgamesweplay.blogspot.com/2022/07/cluedo-hostage-rescue.html

      Delete
  8. I’m really kinda envious of you guys who enjoy solo wargames. I tried it. Few times and I just get really bored about half way through and end up packing it up. I guess I’m poor company for myself; but I’d probably get in more games that way.
    Never in a million years would I of thought to use a Clue board as an adventure. I know you stole the idea but however you made it work for yourself had to be a fun thought exercise. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I will try again, as I already replied to this about three hours ago - bloody Blogger strikes again!
      So, yes, I agree Stew - I tried a few solo games with historical armies when I was a teenager and I had exactly the same experience. But for these little character driven Pulp skirmish games, they seem to work fine and I find them quite enjoyable.
      BTW reference the variation in the name of the game between the US and the rest of the English-speaking world,,,,try watching thus You Tube clip - it might explain things....:)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCo0hSFAWOc

      Delete
    2. That was funny. Especially when he does the American accent. 😀

      Delete
    3. Glad you enjoyed it Stew - as I am a Scot, I like this one too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GWSP7pYBs

      Delete
  9. Really great looking game!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you thought so Michal - I had a bit of fun anyway!

      Delete
  10. Great looking game and seems it was lots of fun. Great idea for the Cluedo board, well done appropriating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben - I am happy to appropriate good ideas!

      Delete
  11. Nice AAR. I feel like the governor-general organized a cluedo like pulp alley game for his daughters birthday one year. Seemed like a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - a near contemporaneous response there, we must be online at the same time! It was indeed an entertaining way to make this idea work on a 3' x 3' table.

      Delete
  12. A splendid looking adventure Keith, love the idea of cluedo base board👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Yes, I have played a few games with my mate Andrew where he uses a variety of tile boards as part of the scenery - mainly been Frostgrave, but other games too occasionally. The Cluedo board is a bit basic in comparison, but it worked well for what I wanted to do! The hostage rescue scenario would be interesting too........!

      Delete
  13. That's a great idea to use the Cluedo board Keith! Great looking game and love the final photo, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I don't know if this even really qualifies as "Wargaming " or if it's just playing with miniature figures like a ten year old, but it's all great fun! That last photo took me a while to get right due to problems with the editing function on the photo program...in the end, I had to use Paint....so I am glad you think it was worth the effort!

      Delete
  14. Smart use of a Cluedo board and entertaining AAR!
    Best Iain ( not Matt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, really appreciate it.....BOB 😀😄😂

      Delete