Saturday 24 September 2022

RCW Bolshevik Head Swaps

 These additional female Bolsheviks were completed almost a week ago, but I have been a bit busy and lacking in motivation by the time I am home from work, so have spent most of my evenings watching "Bordertown" on Netflix!

With the exception of the leader, who is a Copplestone Bolshevik Heroine, these figures are Brigade Games with a head swap.

The heads used came from a variety of sources........


.....Anvil Industry in the UK....


...Victoria Miniatures from Australia via a distributor in the US....


.......and Statuesque Games, again from the UK


Here are the figures themselves



Statuesque head on left, Victoria Miniatures on right and Copplestone Heroine as cast in the centre, These images give a good impression of how well Brigade and Copplestone figures work side by side.



Statuesque to the left again, Anvil Industry in the centre and Victoria Miniatures to the right



Final batch has two Ushanka wearing Victoria Miniatures heads, while the dark-haired lady on the right is again from Statuesque


No gaming this week, and I really could have done with an invitation to Julian's after work yesterday, as the trip home that might normally take 50-70 minutes took me 2.5 hours! This was because of congestion caused by a mass exodus from the city, due to the fact we have an unscheduled three-day weekend, courtesy of Monday being the official Memorial Day for our late Queen. Hopefully, another game is in the offing soon. Until then, I shall just carry on painting and posting PB&J items!

20 comments:

  1. Those head swaps are superb. A great idea to add more variety to your forces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty - I have to of course declare an interest here - I do have a predilection (others might say "obsession"!) with including female figures in my collections! That said, they DO add variety and they ARE historically accurate - I Googled it a few months back and I think it might have been 7% of the Bolshevik forces in the Civil War were female.....thats my story, anyway, and I am sticking to it!

      Delete
  2. Surprising variety amongst the faces / hair styles - well done those sculptors. I will start paying more attention to heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. There are, as you can imagine, considerably more male than female heads available from these (and other) manufacturers.

      Delete
  3. Your head swaps look great on new bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collection must be really building up now Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too big now really Mark! Five A4 box files worth ( one is vehicles only) and most of our games have involved four to eight units of three or four bases each...I probably have around one hundred bases in the collection! Time to start concentrating on something else I think!

      Delete
  5. Such a variety of heads to choose from, so where to start. Great that 3D printing and sculpting opens up this sort of options for conversion. Not something I fancy trying in 10mm...

    Sorry to hear about the painfully long commute home, but let's hope you have a nice, relaxing and productive weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when you compare today's stuff to that of the Seventies...there is no comparison, Steve! That's why I don't have a lot of nostalgia for Hinchcliffe and the like....
      For 10mm, I think it would be a bit hard to sculpt a distinctly female face! Maybe just do breasts and the female shape around the hips etc.....
      The drive home was a "bit" frustrating, but I am over it now!

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you getting ahead Keith (someone had to do it). I have never really been one for such conversions as I know I'll just end up with a bunch of heads stuck all over my fingers, but they look great here and well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence....some are easier than others to be honest. The Anvil ones are designed for Warhammer or something similar and I had to to do a lot of trimming and filing to give them an actual "neck" rather than the big lug of resin you can see in the image

      Delete
  7. Great work on the figures, they look fantastic. Traffic jams in New Zealand?! What's happening? A sure sign of the apocalypse ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben.....traffic jams are not common in New Zealand per se, but Auckland is a city of getting on for 2m people now, spread over a vast area, given our almost universal single level dwellings, so moving around akways involves a fair bit of travel. At the weekend or midday on work days, I can probably do the forty kilometre journey in 25-30 minutes, but in "rush hour" traffic, it's minimum 50 and often more. Friday evening heading out of the city is generally worse than any other day, then add in a long weekend, and it's an hour and a half at least....Friday past was particularly bad for some reason!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Glad you like them as much as I do Michal!

      Delete
  9. Nice job on the head swaps. They look cool. I especially like the furry hats. Somehow very Soviet in my eyes. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. The fur hats are probably not quite right...the style is more 1980's than 1920, but they are close enough for me!

      Delete
  10. Good looking unit and a source of many female heads if needed. I need to investigate the brigade miniatures see how bad the postage is to here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, I suspect I am in a bit of a minority in requiring female heads, although there certainly are quite a few out there! The Brigade postage is ok ...RoW if you spend $125US, postage is only $15. It's not that hard to spend over $125 either! At the current exchange rates, that's probably about £120!๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete