Wednesday 8 February 2023

A Bit of This, A Bit of That.....

 Just a few bits and pieces from the painting desk tonight, as well as some images mentioned/requested in other blogs (Aly Morrison I think!) and a recent arrival too.

First up is the last of the SCW vehicles from Minairons, that has languished on the painting desk for far too long. This is a very simple but effective plastic kit of a PzKfw I. I painted it up in Nationalist camouflage, rather than the Condor Legion Feldgrau I used for the others. It also came with a second turret, to represent an "up gunned" version the Nationalists trialed as an answer to the superiority of the Republicans T26's



The standard MG armed PzKfw I




And the "Breda" version


Next up, the two "extra" British Hussars from the Perry pack, painted up as dispatch riders.


Trooper of the 16th Hussars in the earliest uniform - 1808 - with the 14" fur cap that proved unserviceable and was soon dispensed with.




A trooper of the 18th Hussars in the later, shorter fur cap, worn from 1812-15



Both units were picked based on the attractive colour combinations in their uniforms


And not to be outdone, the French also get a couple of single lancer troopers, also for use as couriers etc


I cant remember the regimental numbers and cant be fagged checking - basically one has light blue facings and the other red, to match two of the four regiments of line lancers I have in my collection!





Now, the new arrivals - as mentioned a couple of posts back, I decided to carry on with the Napoleonic cavalry theme, so here is a box of Chasseurs a Cheval that arrived yesterday.



As usual, the command (officer and guidon bearer/musician) are metal, although you use a plastic head and horse for the enlisted man


Then you get 6 plastic sprues as shown here, enough for twelve troopers but only eleven horses (as one has been used for the command base!) So, I guess at the end of this box, I will have another courier, this time, a Chasseur!


A variety og heads are supplied - nit as comprehensive as the Perry products but enough for some variety.



Finally, Aly Morrison recently posted an image of his painting desk. Other bloggers have done similar pics in the past but I have always been too embarrassed to share an image of my chaotic workspace. However, as I had to do a bit of a tidy up a couple of weeks ago so the desk (and book cupboard) could be moved to lay garage carpet tiles, I thought if I was ever going to do it, now was the time!

So, this, dear readers, is my "tidy" painting desk - honestly, this has about one third or less of the crap that was everywhere before the "tidy up", so you may be able to imagine what it used to look like!


Aly also said that what would be REALLY interesting was peoples book cupboards, so, as that had to be unloaded so it could be moved for two minutes to lay three tiles, I took a few images of that too.


The top shelf previously had box files containing my British FoW collection. 


Contents piled on the garage floor - only about 50% of them would return to their place after the tidy up.


You can see the space that remained to be carpeted - two hours graft to clear out the cupboard and five minutes to lay the three tiles!


The cupboard refilled and in a new configuration - I realised the lower shelves were more spaced out and had too much space for any of the books in my collection, so a waste of space - thus, the lower two shelves now contain file boxes of figures. Now, all I have to do is get rid of about fifty hardback military history books I decided I didn't need to keep!

Cheers for now - more soon, as I have been busily painting up 15mm British Infantry for use in the Heroes of Normandie game!

39 comments:

  1. Great stuff Keith lots going on……love the painting desk picture I guess I might have to do one now. Let me know what you think of the chasseur swords I was cross that they had made them so thin !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt...I can't be very observant, as I have not noticed anything in particular about theur swords yet! Hopefully I don't have any issues with them.

      Delete
  2. It’s a great time to be collecting Napoleonics in plastic. I sympathise about the books - such things are surprisingly difficult to. Move on AND realise some cash. They just don’t hold any value, with postage costs probably exceeding book value.

    My own resolve was to not see the books as an asset, but rather a bit like a disposable item, like when you spend just as much going to the football or having coffee out and yet those things one accepts as short term, one-off transactions, with the value never to be recouped, they are just enjoyed for the moment - making the recycle centre a viable option.

    Our charity shops are no respecter of value. I donated a brand new £20 book recently, the next day it was on the shelf for £2. I wouldn’t mind so much if it ended up in the hands of the needy, but in the UK at least, charity shops are as much a preserve of the middle classes, who seem content to hoover up bargains without adding an uplift to the buying price to further help the charity. The result is that the needy are squeezed out, the high street loses a sale (i.e. a non-charity shop) and the charity get a pittance - I think it is a model that needs fixing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. Over the weekend, I got rid of about fifteen paperback fiction to a local second hand book shop. I assume it was fifteen books, because the woman behind the counter gave me $15๐Ÿ˜• This was for a variety of popular authors such as Lee Childs, Ken Follet etc, and I had been hoping I might get $2 each for them, as doubtless they will be resold for at least $5...
      That's one reason I won't buy fiction....they cost around $30-$40 each over here, you read them once (generally) then they either sit around gathering dust or you more or less give them away. The only reason I had a few accumulated is people insist on giving them to me for birthday or Christmas gifts! Personally, I would just get most books from the local library.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, nice additions, armor and horse, to your collection. Painting table photo? This comes under the heading "never ask to see where the sausage is made " when dining out. Good you organized a book shelf, 50 book biting the dust? Yikes, that might be the sum of all I have ever gotten rid of, including rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, that was always my opinion on my desk too, but I thought it was reasonably safe to do a reveal in its current state!

      Delete
    2. I am tempted to show, no , the horror!

      Delete
    3. Do it, do it, do it, DO IT!!!!

      Delete
    4. Come on Joe.......courage, mon brave!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Keith. Love Pz1, you've got to have the Breda version to have a chance against those T26s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, yes, the Nationalist armour wasn't very impressive!

      Delete
  6. Good bits and pieces, Keith. I especially like the armor. My painting desk is in much, much worse shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon....PROVE IT! Now I have done the big reveal, I am going to be like an annoying ex smoker and hassle others to follow my lead!! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ƒ

      Delete
  7. The camouflage on the PzKpfw 1 looks great and nice use of the spares from the Parry box. Great work on the tidy up too Keith. I would like to do the same but keep telling myself that it will take too long and that I'd rather spend the time painting. Unfortunately, as Norm says, books are no longer an asset but there are quite a few I would be loathe to part with, just in case I want to return to them when I have more time in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. The tidy up was not really my idea...I thought about it every time I sat down at my paint, figure and scenery strewn desk during the Christmas break but I just could not face starting! Motivation came in the form of my wife, who was perfectly happy to buy and instal the carpet tiles herself, but needed me to do this work so she could finish off....can't really complain about that can I? The books were handled quite ruthlessly by me...I may check the large "to go" pile and possibly retain a few!

      Delete
  8. Like the camo on the tank.
    You hobby desk isn’t bad. We should be proud of having a healthy hobby in the first place. My desk tends to become very messy while focusing on a project and I clean up afterwards or when the clutter gets to me. Right now it’s pretty crowded with space ships and other stuff in progress. I’d post a pic if you’d like to make you feel better. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I thought the tank camo came out ok too.
      Yes I would like to encourage all my readers to post pix of their painting/work desk/area ....you can lead the way!

      Delete
  9. Great tank. Expert job on that and the hussars.
    Tidy desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, re the desk, haha, I don't believe you...lets see where you do your painting!

      Delete
  10. Nice camo on the Pz1 but... I know it's right, but that gun just LOOKS so wrong! As people are posting about their set ups, think I'll post about mine. I'm actually a long way behind on posts at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, I look forward to seeing your painting desk! I know what you mean about the tank...I think we can infer from the fact only four were converted, that it as the a great success!

      Delete
  11. Nice work there on the upgunned Pz I there Keith. It is something I mean to do for my 10mm tanks, but the turret is really too small to be able to hold to do this!

    I've tried giving away books before, but if they are not the latest ruleset in vogue etc, you often can't even do this, so they end up in the recycling box:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...I did not do any converting here, the model came with an extra turret! Maybe someone makes a Breda version in 10 mm?
      Yes books never seem to hold their value but I think the dollar per book I was paid was a bit of a rip off, to be honest...but as you say, the alternative was throw them out....
      With the "proper" hardback military history ones, I might get off my arse and put them on our local version of eBay and see if I can garner any interest.

      Delete
    2. Email me a list Keith, even though there's only a slight chance there will be a title I "need":)

      Delete
  12. Good looking upgunned pzkfw 1 and nice use of the spare figures, I'm not a fan of the warlord chasseurs, I've still got two boxes worth built and primed though ! The Perry set is just miles better, desk looks pretty neat to me and good work on the shelves, I'm still buying books, I can't help it, my name is Iain and I'm a biblio holic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...I agree, the Perry product is always superior...I don't even like the way Warlord do a couple of metal figures fir the command base!
      However, this box was obviously old stock and was priced at $40 whereas more recent boxes are getting close to $60, so I am happy to accept they are not quite as good. I am also going to use some of the spare " at the charge" sword arms from Perry boxes to ad some variety to the Chasseurs, hopefully that improves the look!

      Delete
  13. Had a big book clear-out and reorg in Oct 2021, so understand the feeling and the process. In the end, it's a good outcome. I see the front of a car in the picture next to your book cabinet. Was it moved to the garage for the reorg or does it live there (just curious)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird,I am sure I answered this about five hours ago!
      I remember reading about your book rationalization 9n your blog Ed.
      The book cabinet lives in the garage..it just needed to be emptied so we could move it to lay the last three carpet tiles!

      Delete
  14. Now I know you said your painting desk was untidy Keith, but you seem to have left a car in the room too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my wife's, so keeping it tidy isn't my issue Chris! ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  15. Great work on the figures and tank Keith. You certainly have a steady output of painting so I don't think you should worry about what your desk looks like. It is the results that count.
    I was able to put carpet tiles in my room before I filled it with my toys. Wouldn't like to have to do it now. ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. A bit of extra productivity tonight, as I should have been at Julian's for a game, but his wife canceled the war, so I am home.
      Just for clarification, the painting desk is in our garage and it is the garage that had the new carpet tiles laid!

      Delete
  16. The new tank is very nifty in that camo scheme, I like it!

    Dispatch chaps are likewise very dashing. Looking forward to seeing how those new French turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, work on the French Chasseurs is underway!

      Delete