Wednesday 16 January 2019

War of 1812 British Light Dragoons

To be fair, I painted these between Christmas and New Year, but I have been trying to maximise the number of comments on my blog, so have left my first game report up there for a week to make sure I got as many as possible!

Everyone has their own painting style and many are better than mine I am sure, but as I was painting these Perry plastic cavalry as the 19th Light Dragoons, I decided I would take three of four "Work in progress" shots, and here they are:

I firstly under coat with black the dry brush with white, to show up as much detail as possible. Then add the main block colours

 Tidy up and paint silver 
 Base colour for the horses
 Add reins etc, highlight horses body and touch up the bit etc with silver
 The two figures based from three different angles....



So lets see how many comments I can get this time - going for a target to beat of 4 (plus my replies =8)!

I will wait till the weekend before my next post :)

8 comments:

  1. Your painting results look terrific to me! Is the sabretache flipped showing the black backside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan - no, surprisingly (to me) apparently they were just plain black leather - according to the artwork in the Perry box anyway. I expected more, being used to the French penchant for gaudy colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s an interesting technique... dry brushing white over black.
    I’ve only seen it once before...as a way of painting 6mm figures.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I did not always do this but I find with fading eyesight. the white helps me see detail for later painting!

      Delete
  4. Nice work,I'm with you, all my Italian wars figures are primed black,dry brushed white and then I do virtually everything else in very thin washes so that the contrast shows through,I find it is aa relativel rapid technique, it's always nice to see how others paint!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who undercoats white then applies very runny brown over the top, to pool in creases etc - then dry brushes colours over all the bits that are left white. I tried it and cant get it to work, but he is a fantastic painter who basically makes a living painting for others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these, and it is a very nice progression through the stages of how one can paint a miniature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lawrence - of course, it has been done many times before and much better too, but I just had an inkling to add my 2c worth!

    ReplyDelete