Wednesday 15 April 2020

A Parade of Grenadiers

Is "parade" the collective noun for a group of Grenadiers, like a flock of sheep or a herd of cows? I don't know, but I believe that it should be!

Following on from my recent post of Grenadiers, British, 18th to 21st centuries, I now present Grenadiers, other European Nations, 18th and 19th centuries. At the conclusion of this parade, all my grenadiers will have made an appearance, and I will either have to think of another theme, or paint some new figures to post here!

So, without further ado, Grenadiers, by the left Quuiiiick Maaaarrch!





First up are the grenadier companies of three of my Dutch WSS  units - I didnt bother taking note of all the names


Three Danish WSS grenadier companies


And lastly, a further three Dutch grenadier units


Four Hessian Grenadier companies from the AWI collection


Now we move onto French Napoleonic, three Grenadier companies plus one of Carabiniers from a Legere battalion (second from left)


Two more grenadier companies plus carabiniers


The two battalions of Grenadiers a Pied of La Garde Imperial, cheered on by the boss!


Four carabinier companies from different light infantry battalions


The last five line infantry grenadier companies

Thats a total sixteen line battalions plus two guard - plus the two battalions of Chasseurs of the Guard who were not invited to this party because..well..they are CHASSEURS, not Grenadiers!


Same era, different empire. As most may know, the Austrians continued the anachronistic practice (by 1800) of combining their grenadier companies into separate battalions. To represent this, I painted up 6 bases of centre company line infantry for each German or Hungarian battalion, then did two bases of grenadiers with the same facing colour. Above is the first combined battalion of Hungarian grenadiers (light blue trousers)


Second combined Hungarian Grenadier battalion


And the third...


Now we move on to the German battalions, who wore white trousers - here is the first combined battalion


The second combined battalion


And finally, the third combined battalion. 

So yes, I have 18 battalions of Austrian line infantry, plus these six battalions of grenadiers, then some Jaegers, Grenzers and Landwehr. It is possibly my largest army and has seen action on about five or six occasions since I painted it about 8 years ago.

That concludes the Grenadiers parade - I have completely exhausted my supply of grenadiers and will have to think of what I can post next time!

16 comments:

  1. Excellent! This is a fine gaggle of grenadiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathon ...a gaggle of grenadiers...nice bit of alliteration !

      Delete
  2. Most outstanding. A fine parade of Grenadiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful looking grenadiers, and flags...Superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers phil...the AWI flags were in fact hand painted by me based on illustrations in some reference book...nowadays, I would have just found examples on Google and printed them off!

      Delete
  4. These look great Keith. I was going to suggest you could do the light companies, but they aren't usually very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Lawrence ...I be fair, the French Napoleonic light companies would be quite interesting, as they are almost all slightly different...I employed a degree of "artistic licence" when doing voltguers and light infantry battalions....but the Brits would be a bit of a dead loss...which is why I didn't photograph every single British Napoleonic grenadier company....apart from facing colours, they all look very similar...

      Delete
  5. That is quite a turn out, how many figures do you have on the paint table at any one time? I tend not to go beyond 12 figures which makes 24 figure battalions a two batch process?
    Great collection. But can they fight? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. General, I will paint one or two elements at a time, so 2x2 if it's light infantry like riflemen, or 2x3 for most others...occasionally, I even go to 4 per element, but generally my units are between 12-18 figures, so I can crank out a unit over a weekend if I am left alone and don't have to waste time going out to Cafes or restaurants etc!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous Grenadier roll call! Love 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean appreciate all positive feedback!

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking united nations of grenadiers, don't know what you'll come up with next, I can't keep up your being so productive of posts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain...I have plenty ideas but I do feel dragging out figures I painted ten or twenty years ago is "cheating", compared with presenting freshly added work.....

      Delete
  8. Those look like determined bodies of men! Ready to lead any assault I'm sure. They are superb!
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, appreciate the comments and also your visit to my blog!

      Delete