Sunday 2 June 2024

Some Building Works

A bit of an unplanned diversion this week. Our friend and Sunday host Barry has mentioned a desire for some cork "native" buildings to me a couple of times and said he liked the ones I created a few years ago.

I directed Barry to the source of all things magical involving cork floor tiles and wargaming, here:

Afghan Buildings - Matakishi's tea house

However, last Sunday, after our AWI game, Barry told me he had been unable to locate any cork floor tiles (except some that were self-adhesive) and asked me if I would be happy to build two towns worth of buildings for him, say three or four buildings per settlement?

So last week, I sourced a pack of 9 x 300mm x 300mm cork floor tiles, and work commenced on Saturday.

All the plans were taken more or less directly from the Makatishi blog - I just reduced a couple of the dimensions of some of the basic buildings, to provide some variety.

Here is my progress so far:



Mr Makatishi is a clever man - very little waste from a 300 x 300 tile! To ensure I got things right, I drew out plans on graph paper to scale.




And then marked up the actual tiles, based on my plans - this is the mosque and minaret (above)


This is one tile cut up to build two of the two story buildings


Progress so far - the tiles are a great medium to use, very easy to cut with a Stanley knife, and pretty simple work to mark up doors and windows and cut them out too. the one at the top left, with outside stairs to the roof, is my own variation!


And what they will hopefully end up looking like - these three images are from the Makatishi blog site.



And finally, as Sat 1 June is officially the first day of winter here in the antipodes, I thought I share an image of our back garden on a winters day :)


Now, back to the building site - hopefully I can squeeze in a bit of painting work this week too!

26 comments:

  1. Good to see that the economy is not squashing your plans for village development. I look forward to seeing how your villages turn out. If similar to the photos, they will be fantastic. Your first day of winter does not look ANYTHING like the first day of winter in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon....at this stage, I am planning to leave painting the buildings up to Barry....I found it hard enough to motivate myself to paint MY OWN buildings a few years back...but I will see how I feel once the construction phase is completed!
      As to the winter photo....I know, that was my schadenfreude inspired reason for posting it....SORRY!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing how this all progresses Keith, as Matakashi's stuff is excellent and very inspirational too. Our first day of Summer was actually like Summer and today is looking a real corker on the sunshine front. Still not warm but very pleasant. Oh and as you know Winter rarely looks like Winter in the South of the UK, just rather cloudy, dull and frequently mild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - Matakishi is inspirational, for sure! Yes, SE or SW of England rarely has a "real" winter, although the December I was in London (around 1986 I think), there was snow in Essex and a wind chill factor of -10 or something similar!

      Delete
  3. Interesting building project…I would have thought the cork too flexible and friable ? but I guess when glued together they have some strength 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not wrong, Matt, they are quite pliable - even with bracing - but once the flat roof is added, they become quite strong and of course, as built by Makatishi, they are also fixed to a solid base (I don't do that, apart from when I did some of the compounds)

      Delete
  4. I like the look of these, looking forward to seeing your progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty - I hope to get the bulk of the work done over the next few days.

      Delete
  5. Just as well I saw this Keith. I was in Mitre 10 today while doing a recce for another and saw stacks of cork tile and was about to ask Baz if he still wanted some...nice works so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - I could not find them at Mitre 10 in Puke but I did track them down at Bunning Mt Wellington, which was nice and handy for me from work, too.

      Delete
  6. Your buildings are off to a great start, never used cork tiles before but they look a good way to go in the construction front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie...the tiles are very versatile and incredibly easy to use. Probably not suitable for every occasion, but if you check out the Makatishi blog, you will see they can be used in many different ways!

      Delete
  7. And over here it’s the worse season of all: summer.
    Nice job on the buildings. The tea house blog is full of useful stuff. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is summer your worst season Stew...does your wife make go into the wild and dangerous "outdoors"?!
      Yes, Makatishi is a great resource.

      Delete
    2. yes, and literally for another thousand reasons. 😁

      Delete
    3. Lol....you will have to a post on "Why I hate summer"!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal...building stuff is a nice change from painting!

      Delete
  9. I have often looked at that Makatishi Teahouse blog. Some lovely stuff there and I'll be looking forward to seeing how yours turn out Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I am in the same boat....if I had more room to store stuff, I might look at doing the inner city buildings for use with my Pulp collection....

      Delete
  10. An excellent start Keith…
    And yes very efficient use of the material available….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...it's quite fun and a nice, simple medium for someone with limited artistic talent, such as I!

      Delete
  11. That's a really great look. I would not have thought about using cork board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither would I Richard, until I stumbled across this blog....although, funnily enough, I DID use left over cork tiles to make bases for some of my first ever "proper" wargames collection, circa 1976!

      Delete
  12. Some fab looking buildings Keith. Great and cheap idea using the cork board! Looks very warm, your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray...the first day of winter was quite a pleasant day...not as warm as where my daughter is at the moment, though, ..... Greece, with 35 in Athens I believe!

      Delete