Sunday 18 April 2021

Great Northern War "Osterbottens Regemente" Completed

 I have now completed the other 12 figures of the Osterbotten Regiment in my current Great Northern War project. One more Swedish regiment to go - with a desire for some facing colour variations, I am tossing up between the Estlandska (Estonian) and Bremiska (Bremen) regiments as below:



Anyway, following are nine images of the completed Osterbotten Regiment with their red facings


Front and rear views of the entire unit in all its glory



Officer, drummer, grenadiers and two fusiliers


I used some artistic license on the drummer as the Swedes do seem to have done "special" uniforms for their musicians, including some in reversed colours


Grenadier caps are "speculative" as we say when we have just made them up!


Five fusiliers and a sergeant with halberd




Following my recent discovery about NCO uniforms, I gave this guy blue facings on his coat but the red stockings of the regiment for a bit of interest. He has silver lace on cuffs, collar and tricorn.


I have also painted up three command figures for the RCW Latvian Rifle Division but they aren't based yet so they can wait for another day.

20 comments:

  1. Very handsome, Keith! These regiments will look grand when arrayed for battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon - yes, I will have to do a Grand Parade when I decide I have painted enough of these swedes. bearing in mind my likely opponent in any GNW games, Nick, will need double the number of Russian units to be in with a chance, twelve battalions is probably enough on my side. Then, I will need six units of cavalry, as around one third of the Swedish army were mounted apparently!

      Delete
  2. Good looking regiment, Keith. As far as the next unit, I like the orange colored gaiters of the Estonian regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean and I agree - and the two respective flags are pretty similar so maybe the Estonians it is! I think the reason the first figure has blue facings and leggings is because he is an NCO.....

      Delete
  3. Another superb looking regiment for your collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, they look quite nice don't they?

      Delete
  4. Wow, splendid additions rross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely looking unit Keith...
    I’m a looking forward to seeing the parade...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I may do a parade of the first six when completed!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Norm, the red is a nice change!

      Delete
  7. Nice work Keith. I especially like the fellow at the back shouting at the others to keep going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is the Unteroffizuer - you get one in every set of 18, unfortunately he cant really be staged in any alternative poses

      Delete
  8. Nice painting! That’s a good looking uniform. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I have started work on the next unit....orange facings this time!

      Delete
  9. Superb painting Iain! I also like the small details you put on the basing too - discarded muskets and accoutrements - it really does add to the overall look.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob.... :) Just kidding, I have replied to the wrong person before today...and don't get me started on the number of work emails I get commencing "Hi Ross"....Yes, I like to try to add some character to the bases and the left over bits you accumulate from the plastic figure packs really help with this!

      Delete