Saturday 12 November 2022

Finally - Some Toy Soldiers!

These have been painted for a couple of weeks, but I just had to get all the holiday snaps out of the way first!

First up, some more of the Perry Plastic Dervish infantry


Not a lot to say about these that I didn't say the last time!


The flags come with the figures, there are about six or eight in total, more than enough for 40 figures




Here is a second batch - once again, a palette of colours ranging from white through ochres and browns





Secondly, the Pulp Project sees an increase in contingents, with the addition of some Copplestone Back of Beyond WWI Turkish infantry


Lovely figures as always from the Copplestone ranges


Not a huge amount of variety in the poses - a couple shooting would have been nice - but beggars cant be choosers!


A total of ten infantrymen come in the pack, so I added one of the previously painted leaders between the final pair


In addition, I have two Turkish HMG's and crews



Why two, when the other contingents only have one - simple - the pack comes with two, plus a kneeling officer!



Finally, as regular readers will know, I have been using 10c and 2c copper coins as individual bases for my skirmish level collections (such as the Pulp Project) but recently used the last of my supply. Never fear! After purchasing 100 x out of circulation 2c coins on our local online market Trade Me, the seller emailed me to ask if I was interested in any more. He was happy to supply bags of 100 coins for $4 - so I got $20 worth off him and am now the proud owner of 600 x 21mm coins that should last me in the skirmish department for quite some time!


Off to a Napoleonic game at Barrys tomorrow with my Austrians to see if I can figure out a strategy to make them a battle winner - partnered with the Russians to take on the French - what could possibly go wrong? Maybe if the date is 1813/14, it wont be quite as bad?!

29 comments:

  1. Truly superb, love the Dervish infantry's skin tones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I have found these quite simple to paint effectively!

      Delete
  2. Nice to see more Turks done, reminds me I have a few that need painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty - we are a bit of a tag team with the Turks - although that's probably all I will be doing, apart from some characters...

      Delete
  3. They look great, lovely skin tones on the Dervish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...they really were a very simple group to paint, so I am pleased they make such a positive impression!

      Delete
  4. As previously mention, very dynamic bases can be got from the Perry Dervish box and they have done well on the flags as well, which nicely elevate the base. That is a good per base price for the coins :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, the Perry figures are, as always, excellent and very simple to put together. The flags also add to the look. I was very happy with the cost per coin, too!

      Delete
  5. Good to see toy soldiers but I enjoy your travelogues equally well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon but I think the holiday report may have been wearing a bit thin with most people, judging from the drop off in comments by the third installment!

      Delete
  6. Nicely done! The background photo is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris...I pinched the idea of Google images for backdrops from my mate Mark at 1866 and all That!

      Delete
  7. A few nice addition there Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...more Dervishes nearing completion, so hopefully a more balanced game next time we visit the Sudan!

      Delete
  8. Nice work as usual Keith, and I especially like those WWI Turks. Don't stop with the holiday snaps as I also find them thoroughly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence, and good to know you like my occasional foreys into travel blogging too!

      Delete
  9. Excellent painting on all the figures. And well done on the bases - the dealer is probably wondering what you are doing with all those coins 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Ben. In actual fact, when we met in person for to take delivery of the 500 for $20, he did ask about my coin interests, so I told him what I was using them for....I would be surprised/shocked if I work my way through 600 to be honest...but never say never!

      Delete
  10. Fine work there Keith on both the Fuzzy Wuzzies and Johnny Turk. Good to know you have secured a long term stock of bases too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, I am very excited about all those 2c coins!

      Delete
  11. Great work Keith. Lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I really do like the Copplestone figures, and these Turks are up to his normal standard.

      Delete
  12. Nicely done figures I have considered the Perry Dervish troops in the past for various options. But don’t have any yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work a treat Matt, if you have any need for this type if warrior, I would thoroughly recommend them

      Delete
  13. Excellent figures as every Keith. Especially well done with the skin tones of the Dervish infantry.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, quite a few readers have commented positvely on the skin tones, which is most pleasing!

      Delete
  14. Great work Keith, the flags of Dervishes make an attractive focal point and contrasts with the (appealing for me as a painter) relative simplicity of their clothing tones. Love stuff!
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete