Monday 14 November 2022

Sunday Game - A Napoleonic Tussle

 As mentioned at the end of my previous post, Sunday saw seven of us (plus umpire) meet at Barrys place for a Napoleonic scenario created by Paul. The Austro/Russians would take on the French and their Bavarian allies, in the Valley of Death, the sole aim of the game being to "write down" (in Monty's famous phrase) the enemy forces. A head-on clash then, with points awarded against each side for lost units. Did I discover a match winning formula for the Austrians to take on and overcome the Imperial Guard....what do you think? Place your bets and then read on to see what eventuated!


Die Kaiserlich-königliche Armee deploys in the centre, between two wings of Russian troops, commanded by Mark to my left and John to my right


16 battalions of infantry (large units of 8 bases each - 6 is normal in our rules) supported by two regiments of Uhlans, two batteries of field artillery and one horse battery



The opposition - half of the Imperial Guard force, commanded by Chris (more would arrive later)


The Duchy of Warsaw troops led by Adrian, opposite John to my right


Marks lovely Perry plastic Russian force to my left - opposed by both Rick (French) and Barry (Bavarians)


Rick trying to create a flank for his cavalry, where none existed!


The Austrians advance, lines for fire power, supported by columns for security (the Austrians have A LOT of negatives in our rules - as do the Russians - so its always a struggle to work out how to use them effectively...)


The Second Brigade of six battalions also advances


On move three or four, I got to choose a "chit" from several Paul had in his hand - some were blank, others had reinforcements listed - happily, I drew three more battalions of Austrian infantry and an additional battery of artillery. They moved onto the heights in the centre of our position, where the existing three batteries were already deployed


The Polish cavalry advance to strike at the Russians to my right 


Whilst their infantry and guns creep forward too


Here come the Middle Guard against the first line of Austrians


As the Guard cavalry lines up against a single unit of Austrian lancers....


Behind which, Austrian lines anchored by squares await


Jaegers (part of the reinforcement) move up to support the gun line on the hill


The Poles continue their inexorable advance


As do their lancers



When the charge came, the Uhlans counter charged and won the first round but were then overwhelmed, driven back and destroyed. The second regiment took multiple hits from artillery fire and then rolled badly for their activation and departed the field...2 points against the Austro Prussian allies ....


Polish Lancers (no, ACTUAL Polish lancers, not the Lancers of the Guard!) pushed back one of Johns Russian columns but then had to retire


The Austrian line holds against the Middle Guard - for now!


As the cavalry pulls back to reform, the Polish infantry continues to move towards the Russians


This is a saving throw I did - I said at the time, its an indication of how poorly you are doing in a game, when you celebrate NOT being killed, rather than inflicting damage! Chris had just achieved 8 hits on me, and I needed 4 or better to save - all duly saved! The other players all insisted I record the event.


Half of my right-side brigade has been whittled away by this stage, although the Middle Guard were a pretty spent force too


My left-side brigade, supported by some venerable Minifigs Russians, face off against Barrys Bavarians


Our centre (my position) is almost gone! Mark was rushing Russian reinforcements over from my left to try to plug the gap


An awful lot of French cavalry with nothing between it and my four artillery batteries!


After spending several hours glaring at each other, the French and Russians to my left (Rick and Mark respectively) finally moved forward and engaged in some combat


About all that is left of my 16 battalions of Austrian infantry


The score at this point - I probably contributed about 12 points to the "Allied" loss total (higher number is BAD here!)


Poles and Russians go head to head to my right


The French advance on my guns - the light infantry are sacrificed to prevent me firing at the cavalry massing for a charge behind them


Despite the combined fire of two battalions, the right most gun did not succumb immediately (guns are harder to hit and easier to save than other targets) The left most gun also drove off the cavalry unit by putting so many hits on them as they came in, they could not complete their charge. Further to the left though, another French cavalry unit (Horse Grenadiers) crashes into Russian infantry in column, driving them back and breaking through onto a second column (Russians cannot form square in an emergency in our rules)


The Bavarians, having had a brigade break due to the damage inflicted on it by the Austrian infantry, get their revenge with a combined cavalry and infantry attack on the line between two squares. Miraculously, they only won the combat by a single point, so the line was driven back rather than routed


Russian cavalry counter charges French infantry to support their infantry colleagues in column


A final image of the confused fighting to my right, as the Poles and Russians struggle for mastery

Well, I DIDNT come up with a cunning plan to make the Austrians decent opposition for the French, and they were wiped out virtually to a man. I think the final score was something like -32 points to us versus -18 points to the French, and as with the earlier score line, I imagine my command contributed the majority of lost units. And it wasn't as though I can blame the dice, I rolled pretty well for both firing and saving throws, although my main opponent Chris did likewise - at one point, I scored a total of 11 hits on a unit, and he saved 9 of them...what can you do??! I still don't know how to use the Austrians effectively - and particularly not against Chris, undoubtedly our most consistently successful commander, particularly when he was leading the bloody Imperial Guard!  At one point, I rolled a 6 for the activation, and one of the Austrian lines STILL quit the field -- that's how bloody useless they are! (I only persevere playing with them because they look so nice and I have a reasonable sized collection of them) I suspect if I had been facing Rick or Adrian, I would not have suffered such a bloodletting! Oh well, still a better way to spend 6 hours on a Sunday than most others....but its not fun to suffer such a heavy defeat! 

Stand by for a Kaiserlich-königliche Armee parade in the days to come!

28 comments:

  1. Facing the Imperial Guard I doubt there's much you could have done with your Austrians to have won Keith! One solution would be not to have them fielded or only have them to come on as a reserve at the crucial point in the battle, as happened in reality IIRC. This may have been the case here and if so, I missed that point!

    Lookinf forward to the parade as the Austrians are my favourite SYW & 19thC army, but have yet to dabble with them in Napoleonics.

    Generally good troops but very badly led as summed up by my friend pretty much hits the nail on the head I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - even Chris normally struggles when fielding Austrians - he recently created a pretty significant collection using mostly Perry plastics. The rules we use, written by Mark of 1866 and All That, are very well researched and Mark puts a lot of thought and effort into getting things right - but it just leaves you feeling..."How did they ever win a battle?" - and I know they were few and far between, but they were on the winning side occasionally!

      Delete
  2. Great looking game and troops on tge table. It's not the result that matters. You had 6 hours with mates enjoying a game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty and of course that's the sensitive, new age, PC spin on things but deep down, in the dark places of the soul - you really still want to win, don't you - or is that only me?! Of course, the getting together etc is probably the main part (I enjoyed myself just as much a couple of weeks back at the ECW game when I wasn't playing (maybe BECAUSE I wasn't playing?!) but when you have skin in the game, its still nice to win!

      Delete
    2. Yep, the PC spin, we all want to crush our enemies

      Delete
    3. Phew, thank goodness for that....I was starting to think I was a sociopath or something .... Good to know, it's not just me 😀

      Delete
  3. I thought I spied some of the grand old Minifigs in those pix (the Imperial Guard among them, if I'm not mistaken). Short of a massed battery, I'm not sure whether there is any answer when you're facing a major formation (ie more than a battalion or regiment) of French Imperial Guard in most Napoleonic systems (short of bringing your own division of guards or grenadiers). Doubly tough when it is a "tournament" style game where whacking other units is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were lots of Minifigs on the table Ed....all Barry's Bavarians, and the the Russians commanded by John (part of "the group" collection) are around forty years old! Some of the Imperial Guard cavalry are indeed of the same vintage and stable, although I think all the infantry are Pauls more recent Front Rank figures. Yes, a few more guns would have helped ...despite having Russians on both flanks, our army seemed to have a paucity of artillery, compared with the French.

      Delete
  4. A fine looking table and a quality use of 6 hours. I placed my bet at the start of the post and won, so you owe me £5 - the bucket of dice saves on 8 dice was rather splendid :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It as that Norm and I think your money was always pretty safe...you must have bet £100 at least, to be getting £5 back, the odds were pretty long!

      Delete
  5. I can't remember many games where the Austrians have won under our rules either, at least not on their own. Large units in our games which are difficult to reduce, reasonable morale and fairly decent cavalry, but they just never seem to match it with the French. The Russians by contrast often come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence....our large units are no harder to reduce....which is a good point and I will mention that to Mark...possibly need an adjustment there... I have been told Austrian cavalry was particularly good, but that's not really reflected either...they are, in fact, about as attractive to play as the Spanish....another much maligned, under performing Napoleonic army!

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking battle with lots and lots of lovely troops. No matter the defeat it sounded like a fun day 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all good points Matt, although I still can't bring myself to say seeing sixteen battalions reduced to six was a lot of fun....but better than anything else I might have been doing, I will grant you that!

      Delete
  7. Great looking figures Keith. You guys operate to a high standard. Now then two bits of advice when leading the whitecoats. Use the battalion-masse formation, and ALWAYS let the Russians go in first! ;-) And remember, it's not the taking part that counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...thanks Chris....Mark has written his rules for this very point...Austrians (and Russians) in column get +2 on the activation role, but in line get -2.... so, you can see which formation they need to be in! However, if you are defending against an enemy in line rolling 6 X D6 against 2 for a column, it's highly tempting to go into line and fire back with 8 dice! But then, I have a line disintegrate and leave the table, even though they rolled 6 for activation....very perplexing! I think sending the Russians first is probably the answer!

      Delete
  8. Austrians utilized l’order mixte? Hmm. Looks like a really great gaming experience for all of you and a terrific day out. Reading of the futility of the Austrians v French, I wonder if National Characteristics are playing too great a hand in the outcome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mark puts a lot of effort into researching these things, Jon, so I have to assume the conclusions he has reached are valid....maybe next time (if there is one!) I will try using them just in columns and see if it works any better? I have suggested a couple of tweaks, one based on Lawrence's comment above about the rage units being harder to wear down....

      Delete
  9. Tough to fight when the rules tie your hands. I remember the arguments about "battalion mass" and "order mixte ' " from the 70's and 80's. Your only defense is to keep those magnificent saving rolls coming. And for the love of all that's holy, bring more Russian guns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, sage advice indeed! In a previous Napoleonic game, I played French against Russians, and got wiped out because my opponent had FOUR large batteries to my two regular...so a difference of 16 dice to 6! On tha occasion, Chris commanded Austrians, and made heavy weather of it too, although he was more successful with them than I have ever been!

      Delete
  10. Looks and sounds like a bloody marvellous way to spend a Sundee!
    I especially enjoyed seeing all of those old, true 25 mm figures on the table.
    On that note, were the vulnerable Russian Minifigs cast that way, or did it just happen? (Sorry, could not resist!!)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks James, I just spent ten minutes looking through the text to see where I had written "Vulnerable" Minifigs rather than "venerable"!

      Delete
  11. Great looking game, lovely looking Austrians and yes against the Imperial guard your going to be up against it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our rules, Austrians are up against it taking on cadets at St Cyr, Iain!

      Delete
  12. A splendid looking game Keith…
    Welcome to the world of Aly 😂…maybe I should try playing Austrians…with the way the dice gods behave with me… I might actually win.
    Lovely to see the Minifigs on the table.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a kind of double bluffing of the dice gods Aly....you never know, it might just work!


      Delete
  13. Big, lovely game, Keith! There was nothing wrong with Austrian troops, although they suffered from substandard leadership. If you play all historical games they are often at a disadvantage due to being outmaneuvered by the French. In that case, play Aspern-Essling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter....Mark has written his rules to try to reward players using historically accurate formations and tactics, but it always feels like the Russian and Austrian armies get the short end of the stick.....

      Delete