Sunday 10 March 2024

Last of the Fallschirmjaegers.

 Or, at least, I thought it was - but I just discovered two black undercoated figures amongst the chaos on my painting desk - so they will have to be completed before this task can be signed off as done.

Not much excitement here for regular readers - they are the same batch of 10 1st Corps FSJ figures as in the first two sections - but with the addition of a two-man platoon command group. Keep going to the end, and I will throw in some bonus images of the most recent arrivals - I think they might be a bit of a surprise!


Two-man command group - Ok, but without being great, is my summation of the figures.



MG34 team #1



MG34 team #2



Rifle section #1



Rifle section #2


The most recent arrivals are figures I have been trying to buy for about 6 months but seemed to be constantly out of stock with the supplier, Templer Miniatures, in Scotland. Finally, though, the guys at Templer contacted me to say the figures were available, so I ordered a few packs......


They may seem familiar to regular readers of this blog....


.... yes, indeed, they are some rather nice Spanish Civil War miniatures.......


.... but the odd thing is, they are 28mm!


The first few images were, of course, Milicianas!


But I got some male colleagues too.


As you can see, the senoritas are suitably diminutive, alongside the hombre!


Male Urban Militia


Assault Guards Command


Assault Guards.

Not sure when these will hit the painting table - after my start of the year spending spree, I have lots of stuff on hand to keep me busy - and as if I did not, I just picked up a nice bargain on our local online auction site, a bunch of 58 x 28mm PSC Russian infantry for the princely sum of $35 - probably about fifteen quid with our crappy exchange rate at the moment! They are exactly the same sculpts as the 20mm/ 1/72 figures I already have; not as detailed as some 28mm plastics, but still good enough and a great way to get more or less all the 28mm Russian infantry I might need one day, if the Blitzkrieg Germans decide to head East!

Here is a quick taster:


Officer and nurse - as purchased on left, after my attentions on the right. The great thing is, the basics are already done, so I "upgraded" about 20 figures in an hour or so - more of them soon.


And here they are, next to one of the two recalcitrantly unpainted Fallschirmjaegers, to give an idea of scale - I think they match up well, how about you?

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful last Germans.
    Can't wait to see new project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done command figures. SCW in 28mm! I've a few Templar miniatures in my own collection, not bad figures and paint up well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty...I came across Templar via the 20mm SCW stuff I think, and they looked like a cost effective alternative to Empress...whose figures are great, but very pricey.
      Not sure where I will go with this....might just do a few bases of Republicans to join up with mate Rick's extensive collection next time we play 28mm SCW....

      Delete
  3. Templar Miniatures are not a company I know anything about,they look pretty decent I must admit. The PSC Russians work in pretty well size wise, they certainly work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, they do look like nice figures in the flesh too! Yes, the PSC Russians were a lucky find...they don't seem to make them in 28mm any longer....I have them almost all done already....having the base already there really speeds things up 👍

      Delete
  4. Nice work again on the FJ Keith and the SCW figures look good to. I just wish Pendraken did more of a mix of the Milicianas, as they only have one pack IIRC. Look forward to seeing the new project, surprise purchase etc:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve...been at the painting desk most of today (Sunday here), as I had the house to myself almost all day....bliss!
      I feel like I may need to paint up a few of the new SCW soon, just to see what they come out like.
      I guess with Pendraken, the smaller scale means they think they can get away with just a representative pack of Milicianas....have got them in your collection?

      Delete
    2. Sadly they only do one figure, so pretty hard to make even one stand look interesting😞.

      Delete
    3. Ah right, pretty pointless doing it at all then! Some of the 20mm ranges I researched were the same ...one Miliciana, two Civil Guards, two Assault Guards etc....not what we are used to these days!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant Germans. I don't believe for a minute they will be the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well..... I might have to get them some support weapons, but I don't think I will be getting any more standard parachute infantry, Richard, but....never say never!

      Delete
  6. The figures may be repeats but I always enjoy seeing your project progress. I have not heard of Templar before either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon....I think Templar may be a small company. They have some interesting ranges though.

      Delete
  7. Templar is new to me as well. Amazing that in spite of constant searching on the internet there is still new stuff to be found. Another lovely batch of Germans Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence...yes, there are definitely a huge number of sites out there...Etsy is something I would like to try too, but the extortionate shipping rates put me off......

      Delete
  8. Excellent work on the Germans Keith.
    Well done on spotting a bargain with the Russians and buying them. I always take a few days before i commit to a purchase and most of the time it is gone by then or I forget. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben! Haha, I know what you mean, but even with my tight arse Scottish soul, $35 for almost 60 28mm figures was a definite bargain, plus, I have been after these PSC figures in 28mm for quite a while, so when opportunity knocked, I opened the door quick!

      Delete
  9. keep on cranking them out and way to spot a bargain!
    I need a bargain.... I keep buying all this expensive stuff...
    😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew....I know what you mean! Some of the "pulp" figures I buy are around USD 7 each, meaning I would get 3 for the same price as these 58...plus there is postage, so it's probably only 2...and the guy selling these was about 5 minutes drive from where I work, so I could pick them up in person...could not have been much better!

      Delete
  10. Excellent butterflying Keith….
    The butch Spanish Civil War figures were originally produced by John Bruce’s FAA miniatures…
    I had loads of them back in the day…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, right, thanks for the info Aly. John may still produce them, as the reason given for long delay in availability was that the person casting up the figures was unwell....Templar just seem to be the retailer, not the actual producer.

      Delete
  11. Great looking additions to the FJ force, Keith. SCW figs are also nice too!

    ReplyDelete