Friday 8 March 2024

Sharpe Practice Thursday Game

 Had an early end of week game on Thursday night at Julian's place - John and I in attendance. As John had not played before, I suggested Julian and I should take one side and he, the other - jokes! John and I had the French and Julian had a slightly smaller British force. Both sides had two light infantry units of 6 figures each plus a leader, then we had four line infantry (two each) of 8 figures plus leader and Julian had three I think...... or maybe, he had four line and only one light......

A very basic pick-up scenario (I think that's the "in" phrase the hip wargamers use!) with both sides coming on random entry points and the aim being to control the strategic hamlet - which rather stupidly, Julian had put right on the French table edge, so I walked on and in about two moves, we controlled it. I just sat there the rest of the game, holding the buildings and taking long range pot shots at Julian, that mostly missed, but occasionally did him some damage, whilst suffering no casualties at all myself!

All the action was on our other flank, where John did a great job, initially taking the fight to Julian and then trading shots toe to toe before eventually coming out on top and winning us the game! Vive La France! Vive L'Empereur!

Not a lot of pics as it was quite a static battle, but enough to give a flavour of the game hopefully.


My Voltigeurs (above) and Ligne, move into position on our first activations.



Julians "large" command (one grade III officer with three groups) moves towards the woods, which John is hurriedly occupying with his faster moving Voltigeurs. 


The Brits advance on my flank, too.


My Voltigeurs in occupation of one of the houses - giving them the "hard cover" bonus.


Long range shooting from my Voltigeurs killed one Brit and added 3 shock - much easier to do when the target is out in the open!


Close ups of the action on John's flank, courtesy of John, of course!


"The French are in the woods!"



"Prêt..... en joue .... tirez!"


The French volley devastates the target unit!



But shortly thereafter, the two remaining other British groups combined to kill four of the six Voltigeurs, driving them from the field!


Their sacrifice was not in vain, however, as reinforcements had arrived in the shape of the two units of Ligne. Their combined fire, plus some long-range sniping from my house bound Voltigeurs, drove back one British unit with three dead and six shock!


Another round of fire - we had to take a pic of this dice roll - two dead and FIVE shock on the same unit - it was not long for the table!


A slight disparity in casualties as you can see - thus far, Johns Ligne has lost nary a man!


My Voltigeurs fired another round ......


.... killing a British Light Infantryman - with one dead, the leader must roll one D6 - a score of equal or less than the number of troops killed means the leader is also hit.... !


Johns close up of the LI and their leader - before he died!


British return fire put a few shock on the Ligne...


The Brits really made no headway at all on my flank, with two of my units in hard cover, occupying the buildings, and the third in the light cover of the adjacent woods!


Julians army morale card had dropped to 5 (from 10 I think)


Whilst ours was still on 8!


A second British unit close to departing the field ....


.... and the third was about to be overwhelmed too.


Julian called it a day, with my entirely unscathed force in firm control of the strategic village!

A great little game and John did very well for a first timer. We had some good fortune, such as a few turns where all our units got to fire, then the turn ended and Julian was only able to activate one unit in return etc (if you have played SP, you will understand how the activation and command chit draw works!)

Thanks for popping in for a visit and any comments are gratefully received!

29 comments:

  1. That looked like fun, if a little easy on your side of the table Keith. How many units of six or eight figures were there on each side, and how long did it take to play out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I certainly had an easy job of it! I think Julian had one less unit - but I may have that wrong - so let's say - 2 x 6 Lights each and 4 x 8 line each - plus attached leaders. Excluding the meal break, it took about 2-2.5 hours to actually play, we were all done and dusted by 9pm, which is very early for our evening games at Jules place.

      Delete
  2. A nice sized game to bring a proper conclusion by close of play is increasingly important to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Norm, a massive all day game that lasts 5+ hours but reaches no real conclusion is quite frustrating! Having the army strength type mechanism, like here or in TtS and similar riles, is something I like, because it provides a definite outcome, a winer and a lower, even if sometimes, it can be a bit artificial!

      Delete
    2. You can tell, from all the typos, I am replying on my phone!!

      Delete
  3. A great looking game! I really like the stands, super useful .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark and yes, they make movement a bit quicker!

      Delete
  4. Great looking game, Keith. SP (first version) was my first Napoleonic set of rules. I played it with just a box each of Victrix French & British. As many had warned me - Napoleonics is a slippery slope! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Julian has done similar....a couple of boxes of Perry French and British infantry, plus some cavalry for each side. It works really well.

      Delete
  5. Fine game there and a good way to blood a new player! I never took to SPII, finding it too detailed for me, much preferring the simpler and more cinematic Dan Mersey rules. The former are great if you have the time to really learn them and run a campaign, the latter can do this too but is so easy for quick pick up games also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, and I half agree with you. The rules are a bit "fiddly " and we missed quite a lot out or forgot bits....as an illustration, the QRF is four sides of A4....!

      Delete
    2. Two sides of A4 should be enough for a QRF. Anymore than that and then there is an issue for me playing the rules! Maybe I'm just too old for these 'fancy' rules ;)

      Delete
    3. I agree on the optimum size for a QRS Steve - 2 is too many really!

      Delete
  6. Seems lime a fun game and reminds me I haven't played these rules in ages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty....so many wars/rule sets, so little gaming time!

      Delete
  7. Grand looking game, good way to get into Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, Naps was our first love ....Julian has a large collection of original Willy figures bought in the seventies, and I also have decent sized French, British and Austrian forces in 28mm, but this skirmish level allows us to get smaller, shorter games on the table.

      Delete
  8. A short game to end a short week. Perfect! While I have the rules, I never gave SP a try. Like Steve, the rules seemed fiddly for a skirmish game. I suppose because I prefer fighting bigger battles and no one to teach the rules to me. I just looked and my copy is the original version. Perhaps v2 is streamlined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon....to be honest, I am unsure which version we actually play, but there are a lot of bits n pieces to it! Good fun though....but having someone to explain definitely helps a lot.

      Delete
  9. Great looking game. Handy that you could spend the game in cover and takibg pot shots. Glad that John had a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I think we Frenchies enjoyed the night, the Brits, maybe not as much!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a great time. I think I'm a bit too far removed culturally for the Napoleonic wars to have any great resonance for me but I love seeing the painted uniforms. Those morale cards look like a handy tool as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and comments Bill...SP is a good sized skirmish game with lots going on!

      Delete
  11. A nice looking game Keith… And a relaxed victory for you.
    I have yet to try Sharp Practice… I may give it a go when I get round to painting a few more 40mm Napoleonics.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...it would be a great ruleset to use with your lovely 40mm figures.

      Delete
  12. Looks like fun. I bet your troops were happy to spend the game in cover. 😁
    SP2 is one of those games that really great if you're in the right mood. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, yes, best place for infantrymen to be...in hard cover, firing at the enemy at long range!!
      I don't think I have had a bad game of SP yet.

      Delete