Saturday 23 March 2024

Yet More German Blitzkrieg Kit

 These were painted a few days ago, before I went off to Taupo for a work trip, but I am only getting around to posting them now.


The second of the Opel Blitz trucks - this one had the cab mounted triangular sign upright......


..... now, thanks to the power of Google, I know what this is for - viz "The triangles were fitted to the cab roof or above the windshield (on buses and vans). With trailer in tow the triangle was up, w/o trailer it was folded down (apparently this rule was often neglected in the Wehrmacht!). In most cases the triangles were actuated by lever from the cab."


Additional info as follows: "If the yellow triangle was up, then the truck was towing something (trailer, gun, etc). If there was nothing being towed, the triangle was in the down (flat) position. It was to let oncoming vehicles know how long the truck would be. Nothing was needed to the rear as following vehicles would clearly see anything towed."  So, it seems like I need to paint the triangle yellow!


Next, I built the two wheeled carriage portions of the 88mm gun, and here it is being towed by both the SdKfz 10 and SdKfz 11.


It does not quite work, as I cannot fold the side trails up, because the gunner is fitted in place - but it looks better in motion like this, than just moving a fully deployed gun and crew around the table!



A couple of action shots showing the wheel assemblies off to the side (in reality the tow vehicle and wheels would be a lot farther away, I am sure, but I used some artistic license to fit everything into the available space1



Next is a recently assembled and painted Pak 40


I have not done the crew, as they are in mid war uniforms, with baggy trousers (pants) and short boots etc., which don't match my 1940 requirements - I will probably buy a metal stand-alone crew from Crusader to go with this gun.




Finally, a 3D printed Kubelwagon, with a Feldgendarme I have inherited from somewhere (as he is not mine!)



To finish up, here are a couple of pics out the window of my hotel room, looking out on Lake Taupo, where I have just spent the last three days struggling to stay awake through our annual strategic planning session!






Lake Taupō is a large crater lake in New Zealand's North Island, located in the caldera of Taupō Volcano. The lake is the namesake of the town of Taupō, which sits on a bay in the lake's northeastern shore. 

Area: 616 km²

Fish: Rainbow trout, Brown trout, Common bully, Northern koura, New Zealand smelt

Surface elevation: 356 m

Volume: 59 km³

Length: 46 km

Basin countries: New Zealand

Catchment area: 3,487 km2 (1,346 sq mi)


So, now you know! Thanks for visiting and I appreciate all comments!

31 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love your German stuff!
    Inspired me to painting again my late Germans (working on Waffen SS unit now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michal - if I can inspire you, I must be doing something right!

      Delete
  2. Very nice …. That 88 has wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Norm - for clarities sake, the 88mm is a Rubicon kit, not 3d printed (you can get them 3d printed, of course - and probably half the price of the kit, with similar detail!)

      Delete
  3. Great additions there Keith and a nice bit of info too regarding the triangle:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - its great what you can find on the internet isn't it?!

      Delete
  4. Great additions to the collection Keith. I do like the Opel Blitz, looking dirty and shabby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...that's the look I was going for!

      Delete
  5. Great looking vehicles, reminds me I need to make a start on my own Germans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be great to see them when you do, Scotty!

      Delete
  6. Yet more lovely German vehicles 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the German Vehicles Kieth- you have been very busy...you must be nearing to finishing the German troops and armor. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kev...and I hope so! But unlike you, I never really get to the end of any project...I just stop adding to some of them...eventually!

      Delete
  8. Outstanding work on the vehicles and equipment. They look like they have been in the field doing their job. Great stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mark, I am pleased you like the latest additions!

      Delete
  9. Lovely additions to your collection and a very interesting fact about the triangle on the truck. Very nice work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at those pics from your hotel I can't help but think of the phrase "tough job but someone's got to do it" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the location (and very nice food, to be fair) was small compensation for the tedium of the actual event, Chris!

      Delete
  11. Wow - quite a collection of vehicles - and the 88 looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean....I do have a second 88 awaiting construction.....

      Delete
  12. Wow. You have been busy Keith. Superb models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I quite like painting vehicles, I find it's not too hard or complicated a job to get them looking half decent, so they don't take too long to complete, really.

      Delete
  13. You latest batch of Germans are much more fun than a strategic planning session. You must have an huge pile of early war German transports by now Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, but that's what we call "damning with faint praise", given the bar is set so low - almost anything is more fun than our strat planning! You are right about the Blitzkrieg collection - perhaps i need another parade.....?!

      Delete
  14. Great looking trucks and such. I do think having the trucks on the table to show if a gun is being moved adds an extra bit of class. It’s the same reason I painted all those cannon limbers. 😀
    Glad you survived the planning meeting. I’m the low man on my totem pole do I never need to attend such things. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Stew - I would not worry about your position on the totem pole - I am pretty low down it too - and I am betting a psychiatrist in California is earning 3+ (at least) x the money I am!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure a psychiatrist is. But I'm not a psychiatrist but a lowly psychologist. I SHOULD of been a psychiatrist because how hard it is to prescribe the same 5 medications all the time? 😁

      Delete
  15. More nice additions Keith…
    I wonder if there is a ‘triangle’ type sign for very wide load that you can on your 88…😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol....they probably need two motorcycles, then a Kubelwagon with orange flashing hazard lights and "Wide Load Follows" signs...ahead of AND behind it, Aly!

      Delete