Tuesday 12 September 2023

Blitzkrieg Progress

Tonight, I thought I would share an update on progress with my latest project - 28mm WWII Germans for the Blitzkrieg era, 1939-41.

In truth, this is only a partial update - there is more to come - but I like to keep my audience coming back for more, so I can't reveal everything in one post, can I?!

The infantrymen below are all from the very nice 1st Corps Miniatures range. I have about 50 of these figures all up, so expect to see more in the coming weeks. along with Warlord plastics and some Crusader metal figures.


MG34 light machine gun 



Schutze firing Kar98 rifle.


Several Schutzen advancing....




An NCO with MP 38 (Schmeisser machine pistol) 


Three more riflemen.




Above and below is the parts sprue for one of the Bolt Action PzKfw 38(t) 



Information and construction instruction leaflet.



I decided I will use the paint scheme in the top right above - not one I was aware of and looks a bit more interesting than plain old panzer grey!


The kit took about an hour to put together and was pretty simple - and came out looking the part!



I assembled this one as a commander's vehicle - the hull mg port is blocked up to accommodate extra communications equipment!


I decided to "splash out" and buy this purpose made hobby spray in the Panzer Grau colour, to ensure all my vehicles come out looking the same. Very easy to apply and did not seem to take a lot of paint to cover the entire vehicle - very pleased with this purchase!


Thanks for visiting - next post should see come fully completed and based Wehrmacht Infanterie on display!

34 comments:

  1. Oh, really interesting project!
    So maybe some early Polish some day? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know Michal - anything is possible!

      Delete
  2. Troops like really good Keith. Look forward to seeing tanks painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard....you should not have too long a wait!

      Delete
  3. 38t … fab! What an iconic design and very versatile for the wargamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm and I agree, I have always had a soft spot for the little workhorse of the Blitzkrieg Era!

      Delete
  4. Your Germans and tank look fab! Seeing your German tunics, I wish I would have added a bit more green to my German uniform mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! Unusually for me, the jacket colour isn't my own creation...I bought the appropriate Vallejo paint, which I agree, is a very nice color match.

      Delete
  5. An interesting new project. 1st Corps do produce some lovely figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty...yes, I have never purchased from them before but I really like the crisp sculpting style.

      Delete
  6. oh, i've been meaning to try the 'spray paint the color the model is mostly' technique. Seems like that's particularly a good idea for vehicles. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a period of spray painting all my figures matt black first Stew, but reverted to using a brush for my undercoating. Our friend Julian often spray paints figures the base colour eg Confederates in Grey, then adds in the detail in the other colours, but I never have. For vehicles though, it seems the best option!

      Delete
  7. Very nice Keith. The Bolt Action kit seems like it went together well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, it did! A bit more to do than the likes of Armourfast or PSC but not as fiddly as a "real" model!

      Delete
  8. Nicely done Keith…
    I do like the 38t… a classic tank and a very nice looking model.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good progress on your project. The figures look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking figures Keith. I have found spray painting vehicles makes it so easy I now factor a can of spray into any new project's cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't generally do a lot of vehicles Ben (it's at least ten or fifteen years since I did all my 15mm stuff) but it does seem a very cost effective method!

      Delete
  11. Fine work there Keith and a wise move to buy a grey primer to speed things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I think you are right, the spray is a good idea!

      Delete
  12. Good to see your progress on the 28mm WW2 Kieth...your Tank model in 1/57th come up very nice- guess in this size things are impressive and good to paint. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, another advantage of the larger scale is small bits are less small and fiddly!

      Delete
  13. Another reason to do early war Germans - Overall spray with Panzer grey. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, you might very well think so JBM, however, I have different plans, all will be revealed shortly!

      Delete
  14. Good looking blitzkrieg Germans and got to love a 38t!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, lots more of them to come and last night, I put together a PzKfw III e.....

      Delete
  15. Infantry look spot on and the Tank is one of my fav's of the early war German models. Well, Czech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - it's odd how many people (myself included) - have that opinion - no one seems to say the same about the 35t - it hardly gets a mention and few people make models of it!

      Delete