Saturday 2 September 2023

Friday Night Solo - Lindenhof Farm 15mm Late WW II Game.

With a last-minute game cancellation on Thursday evening, my next game isn't scheduled till Wednesday, so I decided to do another small WWII Ostfront solo game on Friday evening.

The Soviet advance into Esat Prussia continues, in a follow on from the previous encounter (in my head, at least!) I had 24 cards, 12 each red/black plus an ace of each colour to define "an event". Despite LOTS of shuffling, the events ended up being together and virtually the last cards to come out.....again!


The quiet before the storm - Lindenhof Farm on the high ground to the left - the Russians will enter from the right.


Led by a lend-lease armoured car, lorry borne infantry move down the small East Prussian road.


To add some "friction" I decided to generate the Germans randomly. Each turn, I rolled a D6 and if a 6 was scored, an ambush would occur. Next, roll another D6 for location (as above) then a third for the asset - 1 = 88mm Flak, 2 = 88mm Pak, 3 and 4 = 75mm Pak, 5 = Panther 6 = Tiger 1.


On the second turn, an ambush was sprung and a 75mmPak appeared in the woods numbered 1. 


A shot rang out and an armour piercing round slammed into the leading vehicle, brewing it up instantly!


The infantry immediately debussed and deployed into the adjacent wheat fields.



At the same time (move three) a Russian T34/85 rolled down the road - the Pak took a shot, but the round bounced harmlessly off the sloped armour.


 Next turn, another ambush! This time, a Panther appeared in the woods at number 3. Both the Pak and the Panther fired at the lone Soviet tank - the Pak again made no impact, but the Panthers 75mm KwK 42 L/70 gun scored a hit. 


In return fire, the 85 mm ZiS-S-53 put a round straight into the German tanks ammunition storage, and the big cat exploded!



The Russian advance continued apace, with the infantry clearing the woods where the Panther blazed, and two more T34's advancing into the battle space. The original T34 and Pak exchanged fire, but both missed.


No new German forces joined the fray, but the Pak scored a direct hit on one of the newly arrived Soviet tanks!


The infantry advance down the left flank continued, and small arms fire from the platoon in the wheat field drove off/killed the Pak crew.


A second wave of Russian infantry arrived down the main road, as the T34's and first two platoons continued the advance on Lindenhof (I was rolling very poorly for German intervention, even though I reduced the required score to 4-6 in a German activation!)


A couple of general views of the battlefield at the mid-point of the game.



On turn 14 a Tiger appeared in the same woods where the Panther had earlier arrived.


An 88mm shell screamed across the field towards the lightly armoured rear of one of the T34's.......but the gunners aim was off, and the round flew harmlessly past the exposed Russian vehicle.


I obviously got a bit tied up in the game at this point - because between turn 15 and 23, I have no images! I know this because turn 23 was when the Russian aircraft turned up when I turned over the red ace!

Soooo...... in the missing turns, German infantry opened fire on the Russians from both buildings at Lindenhof Farm, a T34 hit the Tiger, the Tiger rallied off the hit, the other T34 fired HE at one of the houses causing a hit on the German infantry, the second wave of Russian infantry dismounted and joined the assault on the farm, the Germans got an event card which was an artillery stonk, which caused multiple infantry casualties AND destroyed the T34 that had been supporting the assault on the farm! Despite all this, the Russian infantry was able to get both German infantry units to four hits each, and they were forced to retire 3 x D6 cm, which took them off the table. Then, the Tiger destroyed the final T34/85!


So, turn 23 - the Russian event....... was a non-event, as the Ilyushin Il-2 schturmovik failed to hit the Tiger in the woods.


Turn 24 was a red card, so the Russian infantry advanced and took possession of Lindenhof farm, and in the final German turn, the Tiger retired from the field, to fight again another day.






Another fun little game that took maybe 90 minutes to set up and play through - I really am starting to get a taste for solo gaming to be honest, and using the 15mm collections means I can get a reasonable amount of stuff on the 3 x 3 table.

My next post is likely to be two completed GNW Russian artillery crews - they are basically finished now to be honest but still need to be based, so they can wait till next time!


Thanks as always to all who have made the effort to visit and read my ramblings, I hope you have enjoyed the report on this small action. I think I may carry on playing semi-linked late war games like this for a little while - apart from anything else, it's quite a good way to get Andrews rules fixed in my head!

28 comments:

  1. Looks an enjoyable solo game. Maybe next time slowly increase the chances of German intervention as the game progresses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, and yes, that's what I need to do - although it can be an interesting experience in itself, advancing through open countryside, anticipating something might happen......and then, it doesn't! A lot of that was going on in France post August 1944 and the breakout from Normandy...

      Delete
  2. Another engrossing game … proven by losing track of recording in mid play :-)

    A huge value needs to be put onto game systems that allow the gamer to do a midweek type game in under a couple of hours and importantly that it allows for solo play - it is much more likely to get the table and scratch the itch.

    Agree with Neil about escalation, perhaps a +1 to the dice whenever there have been at least two failed activations might be gentle enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I would anticipate you of all people would appreciate this sort of game! You and Mr Scott are right...I didn't really put enough thought into getting Germans on the table....but there is always next time!

      Delete
  3. Great to see you getting slowly into the solo gaming groove Keith. These small games, with smaller scale figures, are so much easier to set up (and store!) and play through in quite a short space of time. As Norm has said, they allow that itch to be scratched and have a higher value for us as gamers than might first appear.

    I like to run narrative driven campaigns, that develop a story with minimal work on my part, yet feel like a traditional campaign but without the hard work. So hoping to see more of these sort of games from you in the future, before Summer hits and limits your gaming of course!

    Loving the look of the artillery unit, which should really pop next to your Russian infantry, so eagerly await their appearance once based:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I know that you, too, are a long time exponent and supporter of the solo gaming approach! It has taken me a while but having the little 3 x 3 table has finally enabled me to get a few solo games on the board, and I can see many more in my future, too.
      I already have an outline plan in my head for game three, so hopefully it's not too far away - depends how enthused I get with painting early war German infantry, I guess!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sounds good Michal...how about some pictures and game reports?? 😉

      Delete
  5. Outstanding! Great looking game and great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I am having a lot of fun with these scratch scenarios!

      Delete
  6. Nice read through Keith, I like the random element - still using Platoon Forward for my solo stuff but might borrow some of your ideas.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu....I have not played Platoon Forward....generally, I am too mean to invest in commercially produced sets!

      Delete
  7. A nice solo scenario Keith. I can understand the appeal of solo gaming given the right set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, solo has appealed to me for a while but it's only the acquisition of the 3 x 3 table that has enabled me to scratch that itch..... and I am glad I am able to!

      Delete
  8. Good to see you warming to and embracing solo gaming. I get a lot joy from solo exercises although I have had not chance of late. For throwing up random encounters with escalating risk, “Where’s Charlie” offered a terrific and dynamic system for rolling up encounters. The system should be applicable to WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I have had ideas about adapting the enemy generation process from Pony Wars or even Nuts/ Chain Reaction....there are plenty of ways to do it!

      Delete
  9. Great looking game Keith. I am looking to start small campaigns that go for only four battles as I think this is about how long any idea will keep my interest. 😊
    This report gives me a few ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, and that's the sort of thing k have been thinking about too....I already have game three half planned in my head, so watch this space! 👍
      I will be interested to see how you develop the idea of a mini campaign too!

      Delete
  10. To avoid the bunching up of random events, I suggest shuffling those cards separately and then inserting them into the activation deck at roughly regular intervals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stupid thing is, I thought I had, Andrew! Next time, I will cut the shuffled pack and put them in that way!

      Delete
  11. Another great sounding game Keith…
    That kind of card activation certainly adds a sense of jeopardy to the proceedings.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, yes it's a particularly good mechanism for solo games!

      Delete
  12. 24 turns in 90 minutes with a small footprint (3'x3' ?)--sounds like a satisfying exercise that maximizes the benefits of solo gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, I do find these small solo games satisfying as well as enjoyable, and it gets my game count up, too!

      Delete
  13. A nice little battle Keith….I just never get around to solo games as I prefer to spend the time painting 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is understandable Matt, given the amount of time you spend gallivanting here, there and everywhere!

      Delete
  14. Fun battle to follow with back and forths as an Ostfront encounter should, I think. Not every Soviet advance was preceded by their terrifying God of War artillery bombardments afterall otherwise there'd not have been any villages to fight over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Glad you appreciated my efforts....more to come!

      Delete