Wednesday 1 November 2023

Solo SCW on a Monday Night

 Having failed to motivate myself sufficiently all weekend, on Monday evening, I got off my fat ass and organised myself a small SCW game, using the latest update of Andrews rules.

20 playing cards, 10 of each colour - plus all four aces for random events were used for initiative. The random events were Diamonds Republican Artillery Strike, Hearts Republican reinforcement of 2 x T26 tanks, Clubs Nationalist Artillery Strike, Spades Nationalist Air Raid. All troops were standard ie grade 0, with the exception of Rep Assaltos who were +1 and Nat Moors who were +2. PzKfw I's were grade 0 vehicles, as was the Rep FT17, and the T26, if they arrived were +1. The scenario was a Nat assault on a Rep held village. And here are the pics:


Above, initial layout of the defending Reps, with below, their positions marked along with axis of attack for the Nats


The Nats had an extra unit of infantry (I think) and 2 x PzKfw I to a single Rep FT17. The Reps did have a Pak 36 AT gun as well though.


The first few pics are just the initial positions of Rep forces.


One thing I like about the rules is a "unit" is a group of figures of any size - so in a small game with limited space, they can be four to six figures, or whatever suits.


The "elites" of the Rep - Assaltos (Assault Guards)- in characteristic blue uniforms and peaked caps 


 I set it up so that the Nats had the first turn, being the aggressors - after their initial advance, the Reps had two turns in a row.


The Rep mortar got a hit on one unit of moors and then the most forward Rep militia unit put in a close assault on the Pz I - but the melee was a draw - no hits from either side!


In the second Rep turn, the mortar got another hit, and the militia also won the melee and got a hit. I just realised now, writing this, that the Nat tank should have retreated from a lost melee - but I forgot that and did not do it!


It was now the turn of the Nats to have two turns in a row. The Moors reinforced the Pz in combat and were enough to turn the tables on the militia, who were forced back. Firing in both turns by the Nats was pretty ineffectual, including the Pz machine gunning the retiring militia to no effect!



On the Nat right flank, meanwhile, the second Pz I plus moors and Civil Guards, supported by an MMG, advanced across the barbed wire defences.


The Reps now had three initiatives in a row. In the first, they succeeded in rallying one hit off the militia, who redeployed into a house adjacent to the barricade manned by the assaltos. The latter fired at the moors with no hits and return fire was equally ineffectual, possibly because both units were shielded by intervening barricades. The Pak 36, meanwhile, was wheeled forwards by its crew.


Next turn, the Reps all fired again, with hits on Nat infantry, and the right-wing unit of moors and their supporting MMG. Return fire put a hit on the assaltos. The Pak was repositioned ready for next time. The FT17 fired at the right hand Pz but failed to hit. 


The third (automatically the last) Rep turn, the Pak took a shot at the Pz and knocked it out! The Rep mortar again put a hit on the Nat infantry and in the usual exchange of fire between assaltos and moors, the latter got another hit on their adversaries. The Rep MMG and FT17 failed to do any damage to the infantry on that side of the battle.


Next turn (9) automatically went to the Nats as no one can have more than three initiatives in a row. On the right the Civil Guards and MMG advanced as did the Civil Guards on the extreme left of the attack. The moors and Pz I in the centre fired on the assaltos again and got another hit, taking them to 3 - one more and they would be forced to retire.


Turn 10 was the ace of diamonds - Rep Artillery Strike. This went pretty well for the Reps, who scored one hit on the primary target, the MMG, and TWO hits on each of the adjacent infantry units, as they were within 4cm (normally inches) of the point of aim. This took the moors on this wing to 4 and they were forced to retire. The next two turns were Nat and the moors failed to rally despite two attempts each turn and reached the table edge. leaving the battlefield. Fire from MMG mortar and various Nat units put a couple of hits on various units, including the mortar destroying the Pak 36!


On turn 13, the ace of spades came up - Nat Air Raid! I duly pulled a 144 scale German bomber from the cupboard, aiming for the defensive position on the Rep left, with the MMG in the building as the point of aim. Rules for targets were similar to the artillery strike, so adjacent FT17 and the infantry unit were also at risk.


The result was a stunning endorsement of the Condor Legions value to the Nat cause - 2 hits each on the Rep MMG and militia, - AND the FT17 was destroyed!


Turn 14 was a Rep initiative - three different units carrying 4 hits, including the assaltos, attempted to rally - and all failed! The writing seemed to be on the wall as Rep troops streamed to the rear, causing a panic amongst the local left leaning population, who also joined the mass exodus from the village!


Turn 15 was again a Rep turn but again, none of their units succeeded in rallying and they really only had two units still in the fight. Turn 16 was no better on the rally front and despite getting a hit or two, the remaining Rep forces were too weak to continue the struggle, so I called the game early with a Nat victory. 


Above is the situation at games end. The Nats lost one Pz I and a unit of infantry, but the rest of their force was in reasonable condition, whereas, the Reps only had one infantry unit and the mortar still capable of resisting. I checked the next card - and it was the ace of clubs - so would have been a Nat Artillery Strike - that event card most likely would have finished off the last viable Rep defenders. The ace of hearts with the T26 reinforcements was three or four cards further on.

Well, I enjoyed that little game, it took about two hours, end to end to set up, play and put everything away again. The rules worked well for me again and I think the results of artillery and air strikes were realistically destructive - very evocative of the era of the SCW.

Finally, just to bore you all rigid, but because this sort of IT chicanery tickles my funny bone, this is the "Insert Image" screen/process tonight! LOL


Yes, it's back to the future - at least, THIS is how I have been loading images ever since I started blogging in 2016 (I think!)


Thats me again for this post - hope you enjoyed it - Greg, hope this small taste of the SCW in 20mm using mainly Minairons figures inspires you in your aim to move forwards with your own 20mm SCW collection!

33 comments:

  1. Good to see that you did manage to motivate yourself to play the game, which looked great and with plenty of action. Once again nice to showcase that you can have lots of wargames fun on a small board (compared to many games) and finish in a reasonable amount of time. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve - yes, as I have mentioned on many previous occasions, solo gaming has been a recent revelation to me - wish I had been doing a bit of it for the last twenty years or so - when I consider it, that rickety old folding card table I bought off a trader for $20 is one of my best wargaming investments in recent years really!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to get into some solo gaming I think, to at least give the multitude of as yet unread rule sets a dry run. Just got to convince my opponent to get off his arse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, and having a suitable venue/ table, is one of the main challenges, Lawrence!

      Delete
  3. Good to see the Civilians getting into the Scenario Keith. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev! I do like to include some cities in my games, of possible!

      Delete
  4. A good solo outing. Do you think the cards might be too powerful? Part of me thinks that a few ‘no event’ cards would smooth things out ….. but then, they system ‘as is’ does give a very dynamic game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are fine as is really Norm...we have had the odd game with no special events...Andrew often has it that they happen only if a double is rolled during the Rally phase...which might not happen at all in a game! The other thing is, they could be something less devastating than an air raid...that's up to me as the scenario designer. Many rule sets have the possibility of artillery support EVERY turn, if you roll appropriately, so I think I am happy with this random balance!

      Delete
  5. Excellent stuff! I do have some Republicans on the table at the moment, so after the hoplites get a bit more attention I just might give them a look.

    Norm's comment above is one that you should try. Might slow the tempo of the game a bit but makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Greg...I might give a " no event" game a try then! Looking forward to seeing you get some SCW on your painting table!

      Delete
    2. The writer of these rules chipping in here. Don't really see the point of a "no event" card - if you don't want the possibility of an event, just don't put a card in the deck!!
      The ratio of event cards to activations that you had for this game is the usual one that I have used. They can also be "timed" as well, by putting them (blind) in every 5 or so cards, instead of having them pop out randomly, where there might be 2 or 3 in a row!

      Delete
    3. Good point about "timing" the event cards Andrew, I might try that next time.....

      Delete
  6. That was a bloody encounter. And quite a battering for the Reps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...and deliberately so, from perspective! I naturally favor the Republicans, so I deliberately gave the Nationalists an advantage, plus they were attacking! The fact they got both their special event cards certainly helped Francos cause...but I think it was a realistic outcome, particularly for the first phase of the war.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers Michal, glad you enjoyed the AAR!

      Delete
  8. Smashing set up and thoroughly enjoyable report Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Republicans took a pounding in this one. Only your decision to not play by turning over the next may have kept anyone left on the table. I am happy see that solo gaming is becoming a fixture for you. I really enjoy solo gaming although I have not gotten much opportunity of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon and yes, solo certainly sratches an itch for me!
      Poor you, having so many multiple player FtF or remote games, you don't have any time left for a solo outing LOL 😉

      Delete
  10. Good looking little battle Keith I just never get round to solo battles and end up painting instead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt...I know what yiu mean...but then, you have quite a rew "real" games...I have not had one for over a month I think, so for me, solo fills the gaps well.

      Delete
  11. Outstanding game and sounds like great fun. Looks fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Mark...I enjoyed it, even though the fascist bstrds won!!!

      Delete
  12. Cracking stuff Keith…
    Shame about the result though 😁.

    All the best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, and yes, I thought so - but proves I don't fix the games, so my favourite side always wins! Thats one of the advantages of the random initiative sequence and also the random event cards!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful narrative and photos. I have trouble getting to photos when solo playing. Your approach is an Inspiration for trying harder. Really shows the collection off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment Joe - once again, I just found this amongst the 11 "spam that were not spam" dating back to late Oct when I remembered to do a check just now!

      Delete
  14. Great looking game and rattled along nicely, probably the right result although missing the retreat of the pzkfw 1 might have helped a bit? I really like the period and am tempted in 28mm, plus wargames Atlantic are thinking about it in plastic, that might push me over the edge! Trouble is I can't see anyone else being up for it so it would have to be a solo game and I doubt I'd get on with the grumpy sod I'd have to play with!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...interesting news about WA too...hmmmm....! Skirmish level with individually based figures would work really well for your solo games too!

      Delete
  15. Good game Keith!

    Liking that bomber too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I got a couple of these 20 years ago from The Warehouse ( a kind of NZ Walmart) they were about $4 each with 8 or 10 parts...perfect for 15mm and about a quarter of what FoW would charge for something similar!

      Delete