Monday 6 November 2023

A Significant Date

 Not only was Sunday 5th November Guy Fawkes Night, it also happened to be our 35th wedding anniversary - I know, where does the time go to?

To mark the auspicious occasion, my dear wife arranged to meet one of her oldest friends Karen and her husband Nick at the Zealong Tea Plantation near Gordonton in the Waikato, about an hour's drive from our home, to partake of a rather fancy "High Tea".





I chose to have the locally produced Black Tea - which was very nice too, as it happens. As it was a celebration, I also had an alcoholic beverage!


We each had this impressive selection of savoury and sweet treats.


The Zealong Plantation is a very attractive piece of real estate.




Whilst taking these pictures we had a five-minute conversation with one of the senior members of staff who just happened to be passing. She was telling us all about how she was just back from London, where the plantations tea had picked up a number of gold medals in an international tea competition.



And here are a few wargaming picks to finish off with!


These are the three Warlord PzKfw 38(t) tanks I completed recently.




And this is the Rubicon SdKfz to add to the two Warlord kits of the same vehicle.



Next time I will have the last group of ten 1st Corps German infantry, a 50mm mortar crew and the Rubicon Pak 26 AT gun.

40 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. A very beautiful place there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Keith…
    I do like a nice high tea…I reminds me of visiting tea rooms in the Trossachs with my Grandmother 😁.
    It’s a lovely looking plantation…

    And the German armour is looking good…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you Kieth and Ruth. My Partner Chris and I have been together now for 46 years- and as yo say: "where does the time go"....it all has passed very quickly indeed. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I think most of us of a certain age feel the same, Kev!

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary! We're 28 years but 30 years together. Covid stopped us celebrating our 25th, so hopefully we can do something special for the 30th. Lovely place but not being a tea drinker, not my cup of tea (pun intended!) but the cakes do look rather nice.

    Lovely work on the armour and after all my recent 18th games, I hanker after some tanks on the table for something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to mark your thirtieth in suitable style,Steve! Would be good to see your WWII collection in action again soon.

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary, Keith! Is there a significance to associating your wedding day to Guy Fawkes Day? My mind wanders on the possible deeper meaning.
    Fine looking armor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I always joke it's so I find it easy to remember but in fact, I think it was just the Saturday that was available 35 years ago!

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary and lovely armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Keith….my favourites are the 38(t)’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt...yes, they are very cool and an icon of three Blitzkrieg period.

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary. 35 is impressive. Good looking German units. The 38(t)'s are my favorites of the early war machines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the anniversary, Keith! Great looking tanks too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary Keith. I have stopped in Gordonton many times on the way to see my parents in Cambridge. It is a lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Lawrence...used to be a chocolate factory you could visit but I think that may have gone now...

      Delete
  11. 35 years is nothing to sneeze at mate! A very many congrats!

    Tea trip looks very fun! How did it match up to a good cup of Tetleys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! The tea I had was pretty good but a $12 (NZ) it should be! Mind you, it was good enough that you could get about 6 cups out of the serve you see in the images, so good value that way!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on 35 years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary to you both. High tea looks fantastic, as do the new figures.
    That Captain Cook got everywhere didn't he 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ben - I nearly made a very similar comment about the Captain Cook statue - the link to the Tea Tree seemed pretty tenuous to me!

      Delete
  14. Tea and Tanks, can't be bad! Congratulations to you on your 35 years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice link there Ray...and thanks for your kind thoughts!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations Keith.
    Love the vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Keith and Mrs Keith! Looks a nice way to spend the day.
    Ironically it would have been my 35th anniversary last month, but this month it's the 20th anniversary of the 2nd Mrs Nundanket being my live in carer.

    ReplyDelete