Tuesday 10 May 2022

A Week Ago Today.....

 Instead of being stuck in the spare bedroom, working from home because my wife tested positive for Covid on Sunday (Mothers Day here), we spent a day doing this bunch of exciting things! 

(But before that, I must just mention how much I enjoyed rewatching the post WotR serial "The White Princess", a fictionalised version of the marriage of Henry Tudor (King Henry VII) and the daughter of the previous Queen, Elizabeth Woodville, a Yorkist, based on the novels by Philippa Gregory




Why did I feel the need to post these the images of the beautiful Jodie Comer - well isn't it obvious....and I bet it gets the visitor/comments count up too!


The good ship TSS Earnslaw at Queenstown wharf ready for departure



Some images of the internal workings of this grand old vessal








Various views of the outward trip to lunch at Walter Peak High Country Farm





Back on terra firma!





Our friend Casey and my wife Ruth enjoying the sights!




After a leisurely lunch, we took in the beautiful historic farm. The building below is a private residence still occupied - nice place to live!



View down the small wharf back towards Queenstown


Our ship returns to take us back to our departure point



On arrival back in Queenstown about 4pm, we quickly made our way the short walk to the Gondala to be whisked up the soaring peak for some panoramic views of Queenstown and its environs





Credit has to go to Casey's husband Brett, who does not like heights and would really rather not have had to do this particular tourist trip again!




At the summit, Casey, Ruth and I paid to have a couple of runs on the luge, while Brett sat it out, having done it several times previously.



I videod part of our descent - if you listen out, you will hear my dear wife's dulcet tones at one point!


Well, thats it for tonight, I am still awaiting the Vallejos paints to get started on my SCW mission, hopefully they arrive this week!

Stay safe and healthy, thanks for visiting and thanks for leaving a comment!

24 comments:

  1. That's a TV series I haven't got around to watching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit "soapy" for some tastes perhaps Scotty but I liked it!

      Delete
  2. I watched the TV series when it came out a few years ago, I didn't realise Jodie Comer was in it? Terrific photos Keith, the second to last pic especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just double checked in case I made a booboo Ray - it was definitely Jodie playing the female lead role! Glad you like the pics - its a spectacular part of the world for sure - we had a great holiday.

      Delete
  3. Hi KIETH,
    A beautiful Travel-Log..great photos especially of the TSS EARNSLAW.
    You certainly do have great Mountains there in NZ. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev. It's the first time we have visited this part of NZ but certainly won't be the last...the terrain is fantastic!

      Delete
  4. Good looking boat and scenery, well done for getting something with a tenuous link to wargaming in as well !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...a very tenuous link, it has to be admitted!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous views and that old boat is a lovely specimen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, at one point during the five days, we were on a road surrounded by rugged mountains and I said to my wife, it reminded me of our several trips along the A5 in Wales many years ago!

      Delete
  6. My wife is watching (recently with breaks on such a goofy series about Tsarina Catharina ..) and she liked it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, good to know a soapy version of English history has some appeal in Poland....I have watched quite a few Polish shows myself on Netflix etc!

      Delete
  7. Outstanding travel adventure. What a beautiful country you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yes, it's almost as good as my Scottish homeland!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the COVID visit Keith, and I hope your wife is on the mend. Everyone in our extended household has now had it apart from one daughter and myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence SWMBO seems to have a mild dose, day three and all she has had is some coughing and a bit of a sore throat...our thirty something neighbour was in bed for a couple of days when she had it!

      Delete
  9. Fingers crossed your wife is feeling better and is over Covid now. The tv series is a great watch, one of those rare programmes that we enjoyed as a family. Once again just stunning scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...yes, I enjoyed it very much although I am sure anyone with a bit of knowledge could pull some gaping holes in it! Glad you are still liking the NZ countryside.

      Delete
  10. Hope the wife has mild symptoms and feels better soon and you don’t get sick as well.
    You needed some boat miniatures to go with this postđŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew...wife seems pretty happy and I am still clear so fingers crossed. The only boats I have, have already featured on the blog...I am not a big naval or air warfare fan to be honest!

      Delete
  11. Just had a near miss with The COVID here when my wife returned from visiting her sister who shortly thereafter tested positive, making my wife a "near contact" which caused us to thhn lock ourselves down for about a week. Fortunately, the wife tested negative so we were able to venture forth again and resume life in the new "normal." Hope things turn out well for you there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ed, you had a close shave there! The odd thing is, despite all the hype about how infectious it is, my daughter and I have been sharing the same house, and in my case the same bed, with my wife, and so far, neither of us has caught it! We had a similar example right next door, when our neighbours teenage son got it but neither of them did. I don't want to give the impression I am a Covid naysayer or denier, it just seems odd you can be around it constantly and not catch it...mind you, still a few days to go before I can say I avoided it completely!

    ReplyDelete