Thursday 12 May 2022

SCW Reinforcements and More Scenery!

 Along with the five Vallejos paints, I also ordered two packs of 1/72 HaT kit - which, after recent experiences with the same supplier, some might see as foolhardy! Confirmed yesterday, the order arrived today - pretty good service - how I wish we had access to a few ranges of metal figures locally!

Pictures are below - a pack of two FT17 tanks and 4 British WWI field guns - which with absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I have unilaterally decided will be appropriate for the 20mm SCW collection! (That's the artillery - there is plenty of supporting evidence for the tanks!)

I am currently on the hunt for economical PzKfw I and T26 tanks - S-Model in China do a two pack but they are proving slightly problematic to source, so I may end up just getting the plastic kits from Minairons.

On opening up the HaT boxes, I found the kits are genuine solid hard plastic a la Airfix etc - which begs the question - why cant they produce their figures in the same material?!




Now I have the paint, hopefully I get some motivation to get on with the new figures - I have had a distinct lack of motivation this week - work has been a pain and working from home makes it worse - I finish and walk out of the spare bedroom and I am "home" - I think I need the hour long car trip home to decompress from the working environment to the home one! All I have done this week is watch 12 episodes of a Russian TV Series called "Under Military Law" on YouTube. Regular visitors to this blog will understand why this series piqued my interest!






Day Three in Queenstown and we headed north along the stunning road to Glenorchy at the head of the lake, where we had a coffee before heading up to the Mt Aspiring National Park, approximately where Mount Earnslaw is marked on the above map

The first half dozen images are various points along the road between Queenstown and Glenorchy









A very famous old shed at the wharf at Glenorchy - it has featured on the main TVNZ news bulletin for several years



View of Lake Whakatipu from Glenorchy


We carried on northwards, primarily because our friend Casey wanted to visit the scene of a local TV drama - see below


One Lane Bridge is a New Zealand  crime drama television series, premiering on TVNZ 1 in 2020. The series stars Dominic Ona-Arika as Ariki Davis, a newcomer detective, Joel Tobeck as Stephen Tremaine, his superior, and Alison Bruce as Tremaine's wife, Lois. The show follows events around the latest in a mysterious chain of deaths which have occurred on a one-lane bridge near the town of Queenstown The series is also notable for its inclusion of aspects of Maori spirituality as a core part of the plot, such as the notion of matakite, roughly equivalent to divination

The series was filmed primarily in Queenstown and its surrounding area, with the eponymous bridge located over the Dart River / Te Awa Whakatipu near the township of Glenorchy, approximately 45 kilometres (28 mi) northwest of Queenstown. Other filming locations include the Queenstown waterfront and areas around the nearby town of Arrowtown.




While taking snaps of the bridge, we noticed a group of large vehicles clustered around the road on the far side and decided to investigate. As suspected these turned out to be a film crew, on location making season two (or possibly three) of the series. As we drove on, we saw a road sign saying we were only 6km from Mt Aspiring National Park and the start of the Routeburn Track, so we decided to carry on, just to say we had been there!



It transpired there was a 30 min nature walk, so off we went. Brett and Casey are not particular fans of walking per se, but I just headed across the bridge and then carried on, so they didnt have a lot of choice, and once the other three caught up with me after about 500m, they were happy to carry on with the short walk.




The bush here was quite different from what we normally see in the North Island







Some stunning views of the surrounding mountains - as you can see, I found it hard to decide which ones to leave out!



This bridge was the turning point for the nature walk loop, and we headed back to the car, happy in the knowledge we can now legally claim to have walked a part of the famous Routeburn Track!






A couple of the information boards that adorned the walls of the visitor centre. I think the whole time we were in the area, around an hour in total, we saw about 6 other people - fantastic!



That evening, we went out for dinner at a locally acclaimed Asian Fusion restaurant, Madame Woo. 

Both the food and decor were wonderful



Well that was day three. A week ago today, day four, we spent primarily visiting and sampling the products of some of the many vineyards located in the Gibbston Valley to the east of Queenstown - but thats my next post!

32 comments:

  1. Grinning on your choice of TV shows. The views of the peaks were awesome . Looks as your SCW project is taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am not surprised Joe. In truth, it was pretty unbelievable stuff, but I got hooked and had to watch it through to the end. I have actually watched two different series, one in Kiev (ironically) in 1941 just before the Germans take it, and the other set in East Germany just at the end of the war!

      Delete
  2. Nice scenery as ever and useful additions to your SCW project!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, at least the latest HaT purchases seem like they will be of some use!

      Delete
  3. Buying figures and travel; two of my favorite pastimes!
    Gorgeous scenery. What are the immigration laws in NZ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my favourite pastimes too Jon! Check out this web site...www immigration.govt.nz 😄

      Delete
    2. I LOVE travel but only when someone else is doing it. 😀

      Delete
    3. LOL - really - I know your aversion to the Great Outdoors Stew, but you can travel and spend all your time in hospitality venues, museums and/or retail, depending on how the fancy takes you!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your progress on these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make a start last night Scotty, although the Uniform Green paint seems far too bright and, well, GREEN to me. So much for following the official painting guide on the packet!

      Delete
  5. Nice new kits and scenery, Keith. I've yet to try an Asian fusion restaurant - there are several around where I'm at. However, since I'm Japanese-descent and my wife is Korean - I suppose we sometimes have fusion meals at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, we have been to quite a few different fusion restaurants around Auckland...they are great, generally a mix of styles served in small portions, like a Tapas meal, so each person orders two or three and you share. Give it a try!

      Delete
  6. Lovely scenery. Women in uniform - that’s a new one…lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I got some good ideas for future projects, like the militia/police uniform, which was similar cut to the army, but in blue!

      Delete
  7. Ft-17's and Pz I's, what's not to like? I look forward to seeing progress on these. When work was 'bad', which it often was, the 20+ minute bike ride home each day allowed me to unwind and de-stress for the most part. I can't imagine walking out of a bedroom and suddenly being 'home'.

    As always, such stunning scenery you have down there in NZ. If we can ever get our son into supported living and settled, we aim to visit there one day. If...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...it's not great to be honest. I have been lucky enough to avoid most of the "work from home" edicts because I was classified as an essential worker...bit of a con really but hey, you play the cards and all that! The first month back in April 2020 was ok because it was a novelty and basically, the whole country shut down so there wasn't a lot of "work" to do from home. It's different now...normal email volumes and extra stress plus you don't have a team around you or the same access to data and systems...despite VPN connection to work server etc....there is always something that does not work as well here as in the office!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal...should be back to toy soldiers again soon!

      Delete
  9. More lovely pictures of Queenstown and some nice-looking kits there Keith. They look like they should go together easily without too many parts to glue together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Lawrence.. A win/win...cheap and easy to assemble! Glad you are still liking the holiday snaps too 😊

      Delete
  10. I also have about a 45min drive home and I love it; a time to transition from work to home and prepare myself to be my best version before walking into the door.
    That is one seriously blue lake. I mean really; very pretty. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I do miss that transition time Stew - I came out to the rest of the house yesterday about 5pm and my wife said "Whats wrong with you, you seem really grumpy?" I didnt think I was but in retrospect it was probably because, two minutes earlier, I had still been dealing with work BS! Yes, the scenery was stunning round Queenstown - I am sure we will do a return trip, now we have finally been there!

      Delete
  11. Great pictures of a beautiful country. I'm trying desperately to hide my envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard - it certainly was a stunning place - I do hope I am not sharing TOO MANY images though - although so far, you have all been far too polite to say so! There are many areas of the UK just as visually attractive, in my opinion.

      Delete
  12. You sure has some great weather in Queenstown Keith. We flew in over Glenorchy this morning, before heading further southwest. What started off as a glorious day is now overcast. Is your isolation ended yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it was probably just about perfect Mark - for Ruth and me anyway - many would prefer it 23 or 25 degs but being too warm would have spoiled it I reckon! Also great to get there when it was virtually devoid of tourists - I realise Sir Wingealot, the Queenstown mayor, would not agree with me, but it made everything much less hassle for us! Isolation continues till Sat or Sun - I am expecting to be back at work next week - hurrah! We all tested today, Ruth is still positive but did a 4km run this morning so obviously on the mend, Amy and I are still clear. Will do one more test Sun or maybe first thing Mon morning but I doubt we will get it now - could be famous last words of course!

      Delete
  13. Those are great looking little kits Keith…
    Seven parts for a tank… hurrah!

    Beautiful scenery again… I’m certainly not getting tired of the views.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...totally agree on the kits...I put one of each together yesterday. The sighting mechanism on the field gun was a bit fiddly but apart from that, they were a breeze and took about five minutes each to assemble. I didn't get tired of the views when we were down there either (as you may have been able to guess!). In fact, I had to make a conscious effort not to take two or three shots of every view we saw!

      Delete
  14. Nice looking tank Keith I have one similar waiting somewhere to construct by Warlord games. Landscape looking lovely too 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt - both FT 17 tanks now assembled and painted, plus a few more ordered from a Polish company of all places! I thought the mountainous scenery was a bit reminiscent of your own locale?

      Delete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous pics of your trip! That lake.... Would love to traipse across that swinging bridge too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip it's a pretty awesome part of the Workd, for sure!

      Delete