Saturday 7 May 2022

Yes, Its A Second Post Within Two Days!

 Normally, I would wait at least three to four days to allow as many readers as possible to view and comment on my previous post, but given I have a weeks worth of Queenstown travel images to get off my hands, I decided to post again today (and I may do another on Sunday evening too....)

First up, another small nod to wargaming in the form of some images of the Minairons Nationalist Forces. 



The rear of the packs include some basic uniform colour information



Based on these (and the other 4 packs) I have ordered six Vallejos paints from a local online retailor


This useful flag set comes in the command and support pack


About half of the command pack


Most but not all of the infantry pack

Hopefully, I will get to start painting soon, although I will have to wait for the paint to arrive!

Now on to day two, or our first full day, in Queenstown


This is the area we were located in, showing most of the places we visited over our week in Queenstown


And this is where Queenstown is located in the SW corner of the S Island


First stop is the famous AJ Hackett bungee jump site at the historic Kawarau Bridge



Like most things, his idea was not original...


Click on the image and you will see a very young boy we watched jump off (with some assistance from a female staff members knee!) - rather him than me!






A lot of these nice old buildings were relocated when a man made lake was formed as part of a hydro generation dam building project






The lovely church below is now a private home!



This one is still a church!







From Cromwell, we travelled on to Alexandra, where we had a nice Tapas style lunch at this local eatery (below)



About 200m down the road was the local war memorial


And on the way back out of town, I made our friend Brett, who did all the driving, stop so I could take this picture of the local Returned Services Association hall!


From Arrowtown, we headed back on the same road towards the small town of Clyde/Dunston, where there is a significant hydro dam 


Clyde itself (renamed at some point, it was originally Dunstan) has a nice old area, where we stopped and strolled for half an hour in the pleasant autumn sunshine



Normally another bustling tourist town, the effects of virtually no foreign visitors for over two years can be seen in these images




Then it was on to the dam itself 


There was considerable controversy when the dam was planned because it would flood many houses and orchards upstream at Cromwell, as well as the scenic Cromwell Gorge, which was a highlight of the then young but growing New Zealand tourism industry. Construction also required replacement of a stretch of highway and the closure of the Otago Central Railway beyond Clyde, though materials for the dam would provide significant traffic for the rest of the line which was experiencing a drop in freight tonnage. To mitigate these problems, the Kirk Labour government decided a low dam should be built at Clyde. This decision was overturned by the following National government, who preferred a high dam


The dam was constructed between 1982 and 1993. Filling it was done in four controlled stages beginning in April 1992, and completed the following year, creating Lake Dunstan The power station has a capacity of four 120 MVA (116 MWfrancis turbines (for a total of 464 MW), but was only allowed to run 432 MW due to resource consent conditions. The dam was built with two additional penstocks, allowing additional turbines to be installed in future. The resource consent was changed in 2005 to allow the full 464 MW to be produced.


Some views of Lake Dunstan on our return trip to Cromwell



Below are a couple of views of the heritage area of Cromwell from the far side of the lake



Next stop on the itinerary was the tourist town of Wanaka, alongside yet another lake!



Google "That Wanaka Tree" for more information on the above!



Another absolute "must visit" in this area is the original Cardrona Hotel, which often features in TV adverts here and is so famous, there is a fake recreation of it in the trendy Auckland suburb of Mt Eden!




After a couple of drinks we headed back over the mountainous route via The Remarkables range to Queenstown


It was a bit late for scenic views (dont worry, we went back again in daylight!) but we did stop for a couple of images of the sun setting over the mountains



Back on Queenstown wharf, the TSS Earnslaw - of which there will be more in my next post.


If you have managed to persevere this far - well done! All you need to do now is leave a comment mentioning the name of the ship above to prove you got here!

26 comments:

  1. TSS Earnslaw. I claim my £10 prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol....come visit us in NZ and I will happily pay you $20 cash equivalent!

      Delete
    2. JBM beat me to the prize! With an open invitation and such lovely photos, you may be flooded with guests. See what I did here with “flooded”? I did make it to the end.

      Delete
    3. Haha....thanks Jon, and a nice link in with the Lake Dunstan info!

      Delete
  2. Good looking scenery (thanks for sparing us an end of bungee view) on your trip. The miniarms info was useful as well. 20mm SCW, hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, glad you liked it. We did watch the kid plummet from the bridge but felt it was inappropriate to take pics when we were just gawping tourists...his family were all there, yelling encouragement across to him...but the girl on the platform had to give him a little nudge with her knee (she did ask him first...)

      Delete
  3. Earnslaw. So much activity, and so much to take in, in these last few posts/days: I'm gone from the interwebs for a small stretch and so much to catch up on! Wonderful scenery (the fall foilage in the previous post was something to take in: always of interest to see the reverse of what is happening in the seasons 'round here, where things are just opening up in spring).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Ed! In terms of keeping up, I was able to take the trusty iPad with me to Queenstown, so could keep commenting on others blogs, although I am unable to post on it now due the the Safari browser being incompatible with the changes to Blogger... I am pleased you find all the images of interest!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos and great minis too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. The Minairons figures are very nice but quite small compared with 28mm, so I hope my meagre painting skills can do them justice!

      Delete
  5. Nice looking figures Keith…
    The Spanish Civil War is a period I have done in both 20mm and 28mm… for various reasons I no longer have them… I am always tempted to start again though…

    The TSS Earnslaw… not only did I get to it I looked it up 😁
    A lot classier than a Clyde Steamer… did you do lunch?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I always fancied the Minairons figures but didn't get them BECAUSE they were 20mm - however, the recent(ish) game of Iron Cross gave me the impetus to start a new project! Yes we had the lunch cruise, as you will see in the next batch of pix!

      Delete
  6. More nice photos Keith. That explains the Cardrona Tavern nicely as I have been to the one in Mt Eden and wondered if they were a chain, without realising it was a reproduction. It did seem rather rustic stuck in the middle of Mt Eden like that, and along the way to the old Auckland Wargaming Club venue which always brings back fond memories whenever I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I think the Mt Eden was originally called Cardrona too but it is now part of the "Good Home" gastro pub chain...they still have nice beer there though!

      Delete
  7. Lovely shots of a lovely part of the country Keith. Wow the Wanaka lake level is low by the look of it…I’ll get to see it this time next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - our friends had been in the area multiple times so were pretty good guides although had some prejudices against certain places that we did not necessarily agree with. They discussed at length which area would be best to relocate to - not sure how serious they are but its certainly a possibility - Brett even spoke about buying the lease for one of the vacant cafes at Glenorchy, which could be had for the sum of $60k!

      Delete
  8. Those Minarions figures look great, but sadly pale against those wonderful photos. The bungee jump I would not do for a million dollars!!! I always think the building frontages have something of the Wild West look to them, due to a similarity in style and advertising as it were. Great that you are able to get out an explore and hopefully the tourism will pick up again now that you borders are open. Oh and the it is the TSS Coleslaw for the name of the boat;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I agree about the architecture and I often imagine rural America must look quite similar to rural New Zealand. We went to one vineyard where even some of the rock formations looked distinctly "Western"...an image will appear in due course!

      Delete
  9. The SCW figures look tempting, as ever nice scenery!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Careful Keith. If you keep posting these great photos you may unexpectedly find yourself with me and my family coming to stay for a long holiday. The tourist board is not paying you enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😄 you are right about the tourist board Rchard. The least they could do is pay for my trips!

      Delete
  11. The ship was called the’ something or other I forget I swear I just had it I’ll just blame my children for interrupting me that will do the trick’.

    See! I read it all! 😀😀
    Nice trip photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I like your style Stew - blaming the kids is always a good excuse!

      Delete
  12. Regards frequency of publishing, I always take the view that when the muse strikes one should write something, and when it doesn't then one most certainly shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly missed this one - thanks for leaving a comment! Your posting formula sounds most sensible!

      Delete