Sunday 23 July 2023

20mm WWII Parade!

 This post is primarily at the request of Kev - KEV's - HOBBY Site. (dwarfenrealm.blogspot.com) - an Australian blogger who has recently commenced a 20mm WWII project, but after my recent game report on our Iron Cross encounter, it may be of more general interest - if not, feel free to give this one a miss!


Valiant British Infantry - there are around 4-6 of each pose.


Likewise, the figures above and below.


Altogether there are around 60 hard plastic figures per box.


Plastic Soldier Company M5 halftrack - I have three


Pre painted Churchill infantry tank


Armourfast Sherman Firefly - packs of two


Armourfast Achilles and...


..... ditto Cromwell tank


I had a few extra figures and lots of spare peaked caps, so I made five MP's in classic "Red Caps", two each of the right and centre figure, plus the one with the Sten.



Russians next - this is a Zvezda ZIS 76mm gun and crew.




As Valiant do not make Russians, I had to use Plastic Soldier Company - slightly different style and certainly more genuinely 20mm figures!


There are again around 4-6 of each of the poses in a single box of hard plastic figures.




The above and two below are hard plastic 1/72 snipers by Zvezda.



Including the inevitable "Lady of Death!"


Armoufarst T34/85 with tank riders by AB Miniatures and a couple of PSC infantry for scale


I have two of these models.


Top layer of my 20mm storage box - British and Russian infantry



German infantry from two sets by Valiant - Classic German Infantry and also 1944 Normandy Grenadiers



A veritable Airfix Panther with tank riders again by AB Miniatures



A metal Kubelwagon


PzKfw IV - an Italaeri 1/72 kit


Metal and resin Opel Blitz truck


SdKfz 251 from PSC - I have three of these too.


75mm Infantry Gun by Zvezda


Another pre painted vehicle - I think its a Marder III 


The recently assembled and painted Zvezda 88mm Flak 38





The German infantry plus most of the vehicles in the bottom half of the storage box.


A comparison of the "20mm" figures - Valiant British and German, PSC Russian and an unknown metal 20mm figure I have had for about 30 years!


Thought I might as well add this recently completed BMW staff car - its actually intended for the SCW collection and came with the recent ish order from Panzer Garage in Spain -a solid metal casting.

And just for interest, here is one of the magazines that Julian bought to get a few of his pre painted items - they were on sale here in NZ a few years back for $19.95 - about £10 - and you got one of these very nice hard plastic pre painted models with each issue - very good value indeed!


Thats my lot for this evening - take care wherever you are and have fun with your wargaming and figures!

29 comments:

  1. Hi Kieth- Thanks for posting up the numerous photos of your very large WW2 Collection - very extensive and complete with great variety- I admire your ability to paint miniatures- super work there. Good to see the Collection and I appreciate you doing this- Thanks again. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Kev! Like you, I appreciated the fact that in this scale, there are literally hundreds of different kit manufacturers to choose from, and you are not forced to pay "wargaming" prices for your vehicles!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the parade! Hope you’re going to use those redcaps as cannon fodder. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....thought I might be able to use them in some kind of specific scenario one day, JBM...but so far, none has come up!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the parade with my recent 20mm interests re-ignited. I like what you did with the red caps.

    Valiant are an interesting. They were oversized for 1/72 and for whatever reason they didn’t do the Russians, so having to go to another company meant there was a size mis-match.

    Rapid Fire (part of Valiant …. Or the other way around!) have re-tooled their German infantry and support weapons to be a little truer to 1/72, hopefully this conversion will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm. I actually like the fact the Valiant figures were so big and chunky....the detail on them is great an much easier to paint than the PSC or AB figures! We don't really notice the difference on the table either.
      I am aware they later "shrunk" their support weapons kits although I had the impression the core infantry boxes stayed as is, but I may be mistaken.
      I will be following your latest 20mm activity with interest!

      Delete
  5. This is a useful illustrative reference even if I do not have a 20mm WWII collection (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good looking parade! Nice job on the collection. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive parade! Thanks for posting the size comparison photos. And then I was confused when I met with the names 20 mm and 1/72 ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valentine...I guess technically, 20mm is not the same as the scale 1/72, but generally wargamers accept them as interchangeable...probably erroneously!

      Delete
  8. A lovely collection Keith and a great parade. I have a bunch of Britannia WWII stuff gathering dust and would like to get stuck into that at some point. Everything of yours seems to fit nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Lawrence...I have a few Britannia figures in my 20mm ultra modern collection...they are quite nice!

      Delete
  9. A fine looking collection Keith …
    I’ve always been tempted by the desert war … but I think I would need a much bigger table 😁
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough Aly, the desert does not do a lot for me...perhaps because the wide, open spaces are often described as making tank warfare like ships at sea....and I don't find naval gaming particularly inspiring either...lovely looking models, but the actual combat doesn't excite me much!

      Delete
  10. What a great parade Keith and I remember when the Valiant figures first came out, which seems aeons ago now! What I liked about them was that they were solid hard plastic which gave lots of opportunities for conversions. I did dabble with the idea of getting some but in the end stuck with 10mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I got them because Julian already had AB Americans and Germans and I wanted in on the action for CoC but without it costing an arm and a leg...so, mission accomplished!

      Delete
  11. Interesting collection. Eclectic, very well done and useful models. If you try Tunis as the theater, desert warfare becomes much less open space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Joe...yes, I guess the same could be said of Tobruk!

      Delete
  12. Great looking collection of 20mm troops, clearly a big range in what is 20mm , I've got the same Soviets scaled up to 28mm, nice to see the airfix panther in amongst them all!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - I think it is generally accepted amongst the cognoscenti that Valiant were NEVER really 20mm - but whatever scale they are, I think they are really nice figures - and Warlord were able to invent their own scale for their Epic power grab, so why not Valiant?!

      Delete
  13. A splendid collection Keith 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt...it is small, but beautifully formed!

      Delete
  14. Great looking collection of 20mm WW2 figures and vehicles, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Dean, glad you like them!

      Delete
  15. Love me a good WW2 parade and these looked fab Keith. The Marder is a 3 btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai - good to know I got the identification right this time :)

      Delete