Tuesday 25 July 2023

GNW Russian Infantry Regiment Ingermanlandski

 These guys have been painted for a while - sharp eyed readers may have spotted them in the last solo mini scenario, defending one of the redoubts! - but I am only now getting around to posting them.


Not a huge amount to say about them really, The Ingermanlandski Regiment was raised in Ingria, the area of Russia that Peter the Great took from the Swedes and build St. Petersburg in. The Ingermanlandski Regiment consisted of three battalions. They were a high-profile regiment, being paid to the same level as the Guard Regiments. Just like them, Ingermanlandski also retained their grenadiers even after the creation of separate grenadier regiments. They might have had cavalry boots instead of shoes when they, together with the guard regiments, became mounted 1707-08.

The regiment fought in the following battles of the Great Northern War:

Dorpat 1704, Narva 1704, Mitau 1705, Grodno 1706, Holowczyn 1708, Lesnaya 1708, Poltava 1709, Riga 1710, Prut 1711, Pomerania 1712, Hangö udd (Gangut) 1714, Stäket 1719.









They are of course the very nice Ebor 28mm figures, sculpted by Paul Hicks. Flags were sourced online and the colour (green) chosen on the advice of my Russian expert, Valentine - thank you for the helpful comment in a previous post, my friend!

Thanks for the visit and for any comments you are kind enough to leave! Work is well advanced on my third Ebor regiment as below....

37 comments:

  1. Gosh, those are really very nice, lovely sculpts and the flags really animate the whole ensemble:). Painting not too shabby either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I do like the Ebor figures, I must say!

      Delete
  2. Great work Keith, and I do recognise them from the AAR. They definitely deserve their own post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence, I agree, they definitely deserved a post in their own right!

      Delete
  3. That's a really great looking unit, Keith, nicely done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent shade of green … Vallejo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go check Norm - it is a very old Citadel colour I bought literally 10-15 years ago called Knarloc Green - it may still be available, for all I know* - but my little plastic pot has been in my paint collection all that time - still about 10% of it left!
      (* I just checked - it does seem you can still buy this colour from Citadel!)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I have Uniform Green and Russian Green and Knarloc seems to sit nicely between them.

      Delete
    3. Have just ordered from a UK company that does colour matching! Fingers crossed :-)

      Delete
    4. I hope it's still the same shade after all these years, Norm!

      Delete
  5. Very nice painting Keith - you certainly can handle detailed painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another superb looking regiment Keith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, Keith! The regiment turned out very well! I will also note a detailed regimental history.
    PS. Pay attention to the sequence of colors of the Russian flag on officer scarves..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the praise Valentine and also the tip re the scarves!

      Delete
  8. Nice! Your presentation of both figures, basing, and composition offer up a pleasing diorama effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I try to make sure there is some variation amongst the figures on each base!

      Delete
  9. Another great looking unit, interesting grouped figures remind me of small vignettes. Looking forward to them on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Joe, I can always rely on you for a subtle hint to get painted figures into action! I am pleased you like the way I put the bases together!

      Delete
  10. Great job! They look the business. Cool they already had an outing on the table. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, and I hope to get them in action again soon!

      Delete
  11. Lovely looking unit, I like the enormous tricornes, great sculpts and painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain....some of their headwear is particularly impressive in size!

      Delete
  12. Great stuff Keith...when Weill we see them on a table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark....you have asked previously but at present, I only have about six Russian battalions completed....so a while yet, I imagine!

      Delete
  13. Another good bunch of sculpts and I like the scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - yes, the Ebor figures are rather nice, arent they?

      Delete
  14. Lovely work Keith…
    It is indeed a nice shade of green you have used for the coats and it lets the red of the facings really pop…
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you like the colour scheme, Aly

      Delete
  15. Super looking unit, and I see have my answer as to the manufacturer; Ebor.

    ReplyDelete