Saturday 15 July 2023

Beneath Lilly Banners 4Play Mini Solo GNW Game - Poltava 1709.

Back to some of the 4Play mini scenarios that I have in my collection, courtesy of my mate Nick, I think - I got all the pdf's from somewhere, anyway. Previous games were based around the Battler of the Boyne, but this one is part of an incident in the pivotal battle of Poltava. (Cue Wikipedia!)

The Battle of Poltava (8 July 1709) was the decisive and largest battle of the Great Northern War. A Russian army under the command of Tsar Peter I defeated a Swedish army, under the command of Carl Gustaf Rehnskiöld. The battle put an end to the status of the Swedish Empire as a European great power, as well as its eastbound expansion, and marked the beginning of Russian influence in Northern Europe.

The Battle of Poltava, as well as the subsequent capitulation, ended in a decisive victory for Peter I and became the greatest military catastrophe in Swedish history. It marked a turning point in the continuation of the war in favour of the anti-Swedish coalition, which as a result of the battle was revived and with renewed vigor attacked the weakened Swedish Empire on several fronts. The battle thus marked the end of Sweden's time as the dominant power in Northern Europe, a position which after the war was taken over by the Russian Empire. The battle is therefore of crucial importance in the history of Sweden as well as Russia and Ukraine.

The "incident" the scenario is based on is laid out below. Annoyingly, the 4Play format has changed slightly, from a 3' x 3' table to 4' x4' - as a result of which, I have had to split the mini scenario into two parts, to fit my card table cum gaming area!







I must apologise for the poor quality of many of the images - my garage lighting isn't designed to assist in taking well-lit pictures of toy soldiers, and the place I set up the table and how I orientated the game didn't help - note to self, consider these things next time you set up a solo game table!


The initial set up - note, only two of the four redoubts are on my table, and fewer troops too.


The Dal Regiment (King Charles XII favourite, apparently) deployed in line and supported by a light gun and a squadron of Liv Dragoons.


One base of nervous Russians in Redoubt 1


Narke Varmlands Regiment and the second squadron of Liv Dragoons


Redoubt 2 held by a slightly larger force.


The Uber aggressive Swedes commenced with an assault! Both the Dal Regiment and the 2nd Sqn Liv Dragoons were given CHARGE orders, whilst Narke Varmlands were given FORM to prepare to assist the assault. Pre charge morale tests resulted in the charge being abandoned by the Swedish infantry, but the Russians were SHAKEN nonetheless!


The Swedish artillery fired at close range - and hit nichts! Meanwhile, the Russian guns (off table to the left of the advancing Swedes), hit the Narke Varmlands Regiment with a devastating barrage - and they fled the field!


Tests for the cavalry charge resulted in the Liv Dragoons going in against the HALTED Russian Dragoons. Rolling 2 D12 per base (as they are ELITE), hitting on a 5, the Liv Dragoons obliterated the enemy with SIX hits! Before departing, the Russian cavalry rolled 1 D6 (normally D8 but reduced one level because they were halted) needing a 6 for a kill - they got NONE. The Liv Dragoons however did take a casualty, as 1 is automatic if none are caused by enemy action.


Turn 2 saw two more units of Swedish infantry arrive to support the attack. This was aided by inspirational leadership from General Roos (the Swedes rolled 10 and got orders for every unit on the field, whereas the Russians rolled 1 and got no orders at all)! The general's presence also appears to add lead to the Dal regiment who this time roll a 9 on their CHARGE test - but the already shaken Russian defenders roll low and abandon the first redoubt without a fight!


The victorious Dal regiment storm up the hill into the abandoned redoubt, as the Russian guns thunder out from their position on the flank once again, causing casualties on both the Liv Dragoons and one of the newly arrived infantry regiments. 


The battle-hardened veterans of Charles XII's Kronsbergs infantry shrug off the effects and carry on, but his elite household cavalry are forced to retire!


In turn 3, both sides rolled for 50% of their units to get an order. The 1st Sqn Liv Dragoons were given CHARGE, and they tested to assault the Russian infantry retreating towards the safety of the second redoubt - unsurprisingly, being elite, they passed! The already SHAKEN Russians, now in full RETREAT mode, rolled low again, and "dissolved".... , as the rules have it! Once again, the Russian guns take a heavy toll on both the 2 Sqn and the left-hand infantry unit - the horsemen had had enough, and retired from the field, but despite reaching almost 50% losses, the stoic Swedish infantry trudged forwards under the hail of fire.


In turn 4, both sides once again rolled for orders for 50% of the units on the table. The Kronsbergs regiment on the left used a FORM order to move from column to line, in anticipation of an assault on the second redoubt, while the Dal regiment had a MOVE order to advance from their position in the vacant first redoubt. Russian artillery did its usual damage and resulted in the Kronsberg regiment becoming SHAKEN! Both sides infantrymen exchanged musketry but to no effect at all (I should have left the Dal regiment "unfired" as they get 4 extra dice in melee if they have not fired beforehand....but I only realised that afterwards!)


Turn 5 and both sides got orders for all units on the field (not that it made much difference to the Russians!) Only the Dal regiment were in a position to attack the second redoubt, and they did so. Morale test of a 9 meant they were in like Flynn - but the Russian defenders rolled a 1 and routed off the field!


The Swedes have taken two of the four redoubts, but at some cost, with two units leaving the fray and a third teetering on the brink of breaking.


The victorious General Carl Gustaf Roos and his staff looking towards the third redoubt.


The unit that did all the hard yards for Roos, King Charles favourites, the Dal Regiment. Can they continue to work their magic in round two, when I take on redoubt's numbers 3 and 4?

Well, I enjoyed that little game and it only took about an hour to play out. Possibly I could have brought in another squadron of the Russian dragoons as they only got 1 of a possible 4 in the scenario, but the battlefield seemed a bit congested as it was. The remaining three can play their part in game two, when I get around to that!

Thanks as ever for dropping by for a gander and I hope you leave a comment to mark your visit here!

38 comments:

  1. Super, I love the 4Play concept as it fits the home gaming space perfectly. Of course many of us have by default been playing these sort of games for decades, but it is still nice to see someone commercially recognise this market space instead of everything being 8x6 and upwards.

    I have one of Barry’s napoleonic 4play modules that I must dig out and somewhere he did an excellent YouTube coverage of the format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm - glad you approve and also thanks for the link below - just off out for dinner with SWMBO but will check it out later this evening!

      Delete
  2. Edit - I think this is the YouTube link;

    https://youtu.be/aHkwIZNJVYY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, I am happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. A superb game. The 4play scenarios are perfect for small games and solo play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty - yes, great little scenarios and gets me thinking I could do similar things myself - particularly with AWI or War of 1812, where a lot of the actions were pretty small scale in reality.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you getting in some solo gaming again Keith. As you know, I love my 4' x 4' games and on occasion, 2' x 2' too, as they are quite easy to set up and leave in place without too much disruption to the family. Luckily the dining table rarely gets used for its intended purpose, currently doubling up as my office for parent/carer paperwork etc.

    As for lighting, I can only really shoot from a few directions as otherwise I'm shooting against a French window which naturally means most things are in shadow. When using artificial light in the Winter, I have to move the table so as not to cast a show over the table from the ceiling light. First World problems and all that;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I am reasonably happy with this size of table/game for a solo effort - Nick and I actually played one of the 4 x 4 games (Crossing the Shannon or something like that) and given not all units automatically move each turn, and the distances are relatively short - 4-6 inches mostly - it took us several hours to play through, even though the forces were quite modest.

      Delete
  6. Veni. Vidi. Amavi. This is a compact playing area especially for 28s. With this action taking only about an hour, why not try some of Thomas’ OHW scenarios for a similarly quick ‘pick up’ solo game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon...I had to Google "amavi"! The OHW suggestion is certainly one for me to consider, doubly so, as I have a PDF of his book!

      Delete
  7. have great respect for SOLO games, but, unfortunately, I cannot judge because of my lack of experience. I was surprised to learn from you that the Swedish army near Poltava was commanded by Rehnskiöld, and not by the king from his famous stretcher. We played Poltava in April 2019 for three days with more than 2000 figures. If you are interested, look at my blog, if not blocked due to these damn sanctions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentine....I was surprised too....maybe my source (Wkipedia) was inaccurate?! I have heard the story that King Charles had a stray bullet go through his foot immediately before fighting this battle....I wonder if history might have been different if he was fully fit?
      I am sure I can visit your site, I have been doing so up to this date, in any case. I will go and have a look. One day I might be able to do a full refight but I will need a LOT more Russians first! Hoping some friends might be inclined to contribute to that cause.....

      Delete
    2. Hello again Valentine. I have just spent about one hour digesting your refight of the battle of Poltava and all I can say is - WOW! The scale of your achievement is epic and I recommend anyone interested in the Great Northern War - or just interested in seeing a huge historical recreation of a very important battle in European history - to visit your site here and then work forward to see all three battles http://vvevit.blogspot.com/2019/04/blog-post.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much, Keith, for appreciating our activities. I have tried to recreate to scale all the regiments that participated in this battle, although many did not have to fight. With this I wanted to partly answer the question of whether the result could have been different if the king had not been wounded.

      Delete
    4. That is the million (or billion) dollar question, Valentine - but really, when it comes down to it, he was wounded, and the battle ended the way it did - what might have been is really only a philosophical question - like what might have happened if the French and British had reacted militarily when Hitler went into the Rhineland in 1936.....perhaps there would have been no war in 1939.....

      Delete
  8. A nice compact scenario that seems great for solo play. I have heard of 4Play but never really looked into them. Annoying that they have changed the format. Have you got room in the garage to put a 4' by 4' on top of your existing table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I do find these games quite entertaining for a quick solo encounter. I probably don't have room for a larger table unless my wife's car was removed....and then, I would have room for a 6 X 12, or bigger! But moving the car would involve moving three cars, to get the kids cars off the driveway to make room for the wife's and it's just not worth the effort (or the complaining about me relocating everyone's vehicles!)

      Delete
    2. Looks like fun, your units get out on the table, you can solve tactical problems, good show. If you had a special game to play certainly the carpark could be used. You just need to explain the Importance of the game... (heh,heh)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Joe! One advantage of getting a few games using the same rules under my belt is, some of the game play and mechanisms start to become intuitive, rather than having to follow the QRS step by step...one potential disadvantage, of course is, if I have misinterpreted some aspect, the wrong way of doing it will be ingrained! The latter does not matter for solo play, mind you.....

      Delete
  9. Great looking game Keith!. I have not heard of the 4play scenarios so will look them up. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben - the 4Play stuff I think all comes from Barry Hilton and you can find them on his Warrior Miniatures/League of Augsburg site. They are really good inspiration for getting small scale actions onto a limited sized table!

      Delete
  10. A cracking little game Keith…
    It’s nice to see your toys on the table… The only downside is that it got my butterfly fluttering away 🦋🦋🦋🦋… 😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly.....our mate Mark used to talk about the GNW a few years ago, when I had no idea what it was...I had been hoping I might stimulate his interest, but he seems totally focussed on FPW for the next year or more!

      Delete
  11. That was a great little battle Keith. I enjoyed your report of how BLB played out in the game. I like the rules and glad to see them work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, hopefully, I am getting the rules right....I seem to have the latest version of the QRS and an older version of the actual rules! I do have the full Talon and Claw supplement but it's over 100 pages and I can't even contemplate trying to use a document that size!

      Delete
  12. these little games get straight to the point huh? I didn't think the pic were that bad. I was never good at solo gaming. I get bored. But maybe if it just lasted an hour I could keep my attention up. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hundred per cent Stew! I am actually quite enjoying solo games after putting it off for twenty plus years!

      Delete
  13. Great to see you getting your GNW figures in action, Keith. It's always satisfying to see the fruition of your labors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Really good to get a few of the GNW troops into action, as you say....more to come soon, hopefully!

      Delete
  14. Great post. Made me dig out my stash of Barry's scenarios. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart! They are great little games....alrhough not as little as they were originally, as I have noted above!

      Delete
  15. Great looking game, nice redoubts, seems you need them in every period for Russians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - it was an enjoyable little game for sure!

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed that Keith-a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, OB, I just posted a report on part two - hopefully you enjoy that too! It seemed to come out just about right, if you are looking for historical outcome!

      Delete
  17. A great game, the 4play system is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great stuff, and a clever concept I had not heard of previously!

    ReplyDelete