Monday 6 June 2022

Solo Pulp Game(s) ...ish

 So about three weeks ago, I played out a second test run of the IHMN based rules - and I didnt really like the result. So much so that, half way through the game, I just started posing the figures to tell the story I wanted! Anyway, I took a few pix so here they are, just for eye candy really - 

In the aftermath of the Nazis pillaging the ancient tomb of Ramallah, a number of events in far flung corners of the world took place beyond the gaze of the general public


The Evil Priestess, seething with rage at the loss of her priceless and powerful artefact, screamed out her strongest incantation, summoning the Lord and Lady of the underworld to her aid..


The acolyte nervously approached the Mummy King and Mummy Queen, ancient rulers of the evil regime of Ramallah


Meanwhile, in Paris, a shadowy civil servant briefs two operatives of the Deuxieme Bureau - a trip to North Africa is in the offing...


Across the Channel, a similar meeting occurs at Chequers, the country seat of the Prime Minister 


In a quiet corner of the estate surrounding the Dacha of Lavrenty Beria, a Colonel of the NKVD is in earnest conversation with two of his top agents


In Washington DC, too, the " Black Chamber" of the State Department has learned of the Nazis success


Whilst in Roma, an Italian diplomat talks in hushed tones to a pair of OVRA officers...

Following is the IHMN Game from a couple of weeks ago.....


The leading Nazis gloating over their ill-gotten gains from the Mummies Tomb 



Frau Doktor Goering and the ancient relic


The Plucky Brits who aim to "liberate" the relic


With a little help from these chaps









I think I got about up to here and decided I didn't really like the rules!





Basically, the Brits forced the Nazis to retreat, and secured the ancient relic!



Hurrah - Albion Triumphant, Rule Britannia etc etc!

Ok, so tonight, I tried again, this time using the simple skirmish rules Andrew and I used a few days ago. I took the surviving Germans from the first game, worked out their points added up to 15, and then wrote up about twenty chits so I could pick the British side at random - as soon as I hit 15 points I would stop

I drew the Lady Archaeologist, the 8th Army officer - and a bunch of standard infantrymen.


I also selected where the Brits would start with a random dice roll - lucky them - I rolled 5!



The surviving Germans who escaped Ramallah 


A flashy high powered Mercedes Benz roars into a small Arab town - subtlety is not the Nazis strongest suit!


And on the first British move, a group comprising the officer and four rifle men appear on the rooftop of building 5. They all fire at the moving car but as they also moved, they roll 3 D6 and take the lowest two scores - only the officer gets a hit, but the "car" saves,


The Mercedes serves to a halt, and the three Nazi occupants take cover


The second Mercedes arrives and pulls up to allow the other half of the gang to dismount. The Brits fire again, targeting the rifle armed guard. The officer scores 13 - so good that even a double 6 wont save the guard - she takes a hit. The riflemen blaze away too and between them get a 9 to hit. The guard fails to save - two hits, she is out of action!


And the very next turn, we had a repeat performance from the Brits, they scored three hits on Fraulein Doktor Elsa, and despite being in cover AND having a grade 3 to add to her scores, she failed to save, and was also out of the game! (this is pretty much going the same way my IHMN test game went...!)


The Brits now doubled down, with the Lady Archaeologist leading the second group of riflemen across the village square, peppering the Mercedes with fire as they advanced, but failing to hit Doktor Goering....


....who decided discretion was definitely the better part of valour, and scuttled down a narrow alley to join group two!


The Brits advanced to the car, and using the "roll a nine to do anything" rule, I tested to see if they could search the car - they did! Now, 1, 2 or 3, they found the artifact, 4,5 or 6, its in the second car - I rolled a 2!


"Scheisse!" screamed Doktor Goering. "Sturmbannfueher, you MUST retrieve that artefact NOW!"



Again using the "roll a nine to do anything" rule, I tested to see if the remaining Nazis could climb onto the roof of the adjacent Arab building - they all passed, They got one chance to fire at the British agent, the officer and Ilse the Whip Girl missed, but the NCO rolled 5 + 2 + her 2 as an NCO = 9. The Brit rolled 1, 2 and 4 - as she is in cover, she takes the two higher scores, and adds her ability value of 3 = 9 a SAVE!


What are you doing Sturmbannfuehrer? The damned British are getting away!




Aber Fraulein Goering, we are outnumbered and the British are still covering the ground from that building...


With ill grace, the Reichmarshals sister accepts there is nothing to be done today, and the Nazis beat a retreat in the second Merc.

Well, that worked a lot better than the previous attempt - but with the same result! I thought that the Germans having a lot of character figures might be able to overwhelm the Brits who were mainly level 0 riflemen - but I was wrong! The rules worked well and the game only took about an hour to play through - I think I am decided that these will be the basis for my Pulp games going forward, although I will have to work out a way to use them for multi player games - that was, after all, the reason for creating so many different factions....well, it was the EXCUSE for creating so many, at least! I reckon simply getting players to roll a die and go in that order each "turn" would work ok.

27 comments:

  1. KIETH,
    Great photos of the action- I certainly like your Terrain- those scratch built Buildings certainly look just right. Well done on getting your Pulp Fiction up and running there in NZ. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a lovely set up. Glad you settled on some workable rules. What went wrong with IHMN? I would have thought it was tailor made for this sort of thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was just too lazy to keep track of all the different character traits, skills, abilities etc....I like the idea of all that, but in practice, I found it too much book work/record keeping JBM. Plus there were elements that didn't work well eg the references to armour, when none if my figures have any...which resulted in it being too easy for everyone to get hit and taken out of the game...mind you, that may just have been because I got the balance wrong...

      Delete
  3. Good to see you getting freshly painted figures straight into the action. My, you have a lot of kit for your Pulpy games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, and you are right. I now have two box files of figures plus about twenty Matchbox Yesteryear vehicles! And I still "need" American, Spanish and Turkish forces!

      Delete
  4. I loved the posed story board approach to the first 'game' which was brilliant IMHO. I never got on with IHMN, despite the wonderful background detail. The D10 approach just didn't work for me. Glad to see you've found a core rules engine you like and look forward to seeing more AAR's in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I anticipate a series of linked games, with different factions trying to get their hands on the priceless relic...for good or ill!

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking pulp game, we just need a plane or two! What's the main difference if they both give the same kind of results? Sounds like fun either way and I liked the scene setting backdrops too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first game with IHMN seemed far too bloody Iain...basically, the Germans were wiped out in the first couple of turns! Last night I had the same result, but that was luck...the Nazi leader should not have been knocked out so easily, she had three dice from which to pick two that added up to ten, and she would have been ok...but I rolled sime bad dice for her!

      Delete
  6. Looking AWESOME sir! Full of character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it Michal...I had fun playing the game and putting the report together!

      Delete
  7. A great set up. Shame the IHMN rules didn't work out. At least it gave your own skirmish rules another run out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty...as I said, maybe if someone else went to all the trouble of reading and interpreting the rules for me, I would enjoy the game...but seemed like a lot if it woukd not translate seamlessly from Steam Punk to the 1930's....

      Delete
  8. A rattling good yarn Keith, and it seems as though it was much more enjoyable for you with the switch of rules halfway through. I wonder whether anything from Two Hour Wargames would suit? I have some of his WWII skirmish rules, yet to be tried of course but they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence....it was actually two completely seperate games, about three weeks apart, but I did prefer the second one, for sure

      Delete
  9. Great looking game. I agree about trying to keep track of traits. Having a lot of them looks great in theory but managing them can be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Ben and double thanks for leaving a comment....first time caller, I believe?!

      Delete
  10. Looking fantastic! I will email you the multi player/big battle sequence soon. (Finally sorted out my posting issue, using Chrome browser & re-signing in through Google)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andrew...looking forward to another Pulp outing on Saturday!

      Delete
  11. I see what your going for I think; like 4 different factors on the table each with different objectives that interact with each other in fun ways. You got the figures it seems; so now just try out the rules. Good luck!

    The only other pulpy rule set I know of is Pulp Alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew....that's the long term plan, definitely! Is Pulp Alley the one from the guy at Pulp Miniatures? I had a look at them but they require a game master, a concept that's alien to me, never having done D&D, role playing type gaming!

      Delete
  12. Interesting... several attempts and it's now letting me comment... So Like the game - figures better painted than mine, nice story and terrain'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob....the vaguries of Blogger! Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

      Delete
  13. I cannot comment on the rules, never having played them. But both your stories were excellent adventures and I certainly enjoyed them both very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, the rules are home grown and very simple, which suits me as I am a firm believer in the KISS philosophy....and that has nothing to do with painting my face!😄

      Delete
  14. Great looking toys and games Keith…
    I much prefer simple skirmish rules… Like a Song of Drums and Shakos….you can usually build a lot of character traits without breaking the system.
    I’m looking forward to seeing more Pulp action.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I do want to include SOME character traits or special abilities but I would prefer to link them to the figures so, for example, only an obvious martial arts figure will have martial arts ability...that way, we don't need labels or cards or roster sheets to keep track of who can do what! But certainly, having some of those factors is part of the attraction of Pulp style games.....it's a WIP!

      Delete