Saturday 11 June 2022

Two Pulp Games and Some More China Pics

 My dear wife has a girlfriend visiting for the weekend - which is outstanding, because it means I have a free pass to do whatever I want! Today I spent six hours at Andrews playing two games of Pulp using his home-made rules - we were joined by a young guy called Anthony who contacted Andrew via the Board Geek website looking for opponents in the area (having recently returned to the family home from Auckland CBD due to Covid) 

In the first game I used the Japanese force against Andrew and in the second game I used one of my Warlord Chinese contingents against Anthony - modest forbids I report the result of the games, but of course, in essence I just have!


Overview of the table for both games


My first force was small but beautifully formed - all characters!


Andrews group 


Close up of the grade 3 leader in Andrews contingent


A random "beast" that was Andres extra figure fighting on a -1




The rifleman managed to get two consecutive unsaved hits on Andrews leader/wizard and took him out of the game ...Banzai!


Two of Andrews grade 1 figures engaged in a lengthy exchange of gun fire with a portion of my force


Our first experiment with close combat - my figure on the right was a grade 2 martial artist versus a grade 0 "Grunt" She lost!


The rest of Andrews team were wiped out and the martial artist leapt onto the adjacent structure to take her revenge on the grunt who had made a fool of her - she lost again, and was knocked out of the game - how embarrassing - we think she had been hitting the Sake a bit hard the night before!


Bow your head in shame - and write your death poem, girl!


Meanwhile the victors caught Andrews second in command in a multiple attack



Fresh from success my Senior Leadership Team storms across the intervening terrain and assaults the two grade 1 tommy gunners


Total success ensued!


My game two force was the Blue Warlord Chinese force - less character heavy this time!


Senior leader grade 3 with grade 2 officer and femme fatale and then the grade 1 sorceress and sword wielding officer


We took to referring to her as the giant girl !


A couple of superfluous pics of my leaders




Some the force Anthony picked from both Andrews and my collections





My Sorceress and Leader combine fire against a couple of Anthonys grade 1 characters


Anthony moved forward on the opposite flank with a pair of grade 2 swordswomen


But it did not end well


I cant remember - I think it was a grade 0 rifleman firing at one of Anthony's senior character figures!


Grade 2 officer and "free scum"


By this stage I had knocked out two grade 1 and two grade 2 figures - Anthony consolidated in the centre


The Senior Leader and Sorceress moved into a flanking position


Anthony knew the game was up - but for S**ts and Giggles, he launched an attack on my two character figures with his "beasts"


Having killed one beast, I charged into FtF combat with Anthony's leader, a wizard, and dispatched him!


View from the couch where I am currently creating this post! Wife and her mate have been out for dinner, leaving me in peace to do this - and tomorrow, I am off to a "big" game with Mark and Co - trying out Marks Great Paraguayan War collection for the first time - so another pic heavy AAR shall follow in a couple of days. What a great weekend - I need Ruth to have friends visit more often!

In the meantime, here are the rest my pics of June 2019 in China,,,,,,,


The so called "Humble Servants Garden" in Suzhou - the Dowager Empress saw it and copied a lot of ideas for her Forbidden City in Beijing! (Then the Humble Servant was executed for not being that humble at all....!)








A couple of shots of toll gates on the motorways between major cities



Street food -  which included a lot of fried insects!


Ruth and a Rozzer


Tea plantation


A pleasant young lady who was studying tea at university!



Tourist launches on lake in Ghangzhou



More street food - we ate this lot as it was basically squid and shrimps!



Shanghai



Traffic police deploying for rush hour traffic



The Bund - European buildings dating from the 1920's

Thats my lot for now - game at Barrys tomorrow but I will probably leave the AAR till Monday - my wife and her friend are now back from dinner so off to sink a couple more beers!

27 comments:

  1. Great looking games and lucky you getting a free pass for gaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty - yes, its been a super bonus weekend, for sure!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your report. Smashing holiday pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your figures certainly make for great looking games. Looks like you are happy with how the rules work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe - so far, I am 3 from 3 - so yes, I think the rules work PERFECTLY! :)

      Delete
  4. Some excellent figures on show for the game. Great you've got another opponent too. The China photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith- I know what it is like to have your partner away giving you time and space to do what you want- I particularly liked the time Chris went away to Canada with Friends for three weeks- what bliss! Anyway- glad your enjoying your Gaming there in NZ. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking game and holiday pics. Did you not give some of the insect street food a go then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM....in retrospect probably should have done, but no. I did eat a deep fried and battered frog on a kebab skewer though...I would not recommend it...not much flavour and very rubbery!

      Delete
    2. 🤮🤢🤢🤮

      Delete
  7. Great looking games, Keith. The China scenes are very serene - love the foliage and natural beauty of the places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean...we were quite surprised how many plants there were on the sides of roads even in the largest cities and along the sides of major motorway. They had lots of trees and flowering shrubs all over the place, which really brightened the places up

      Delete
  8. Good to see you pulling in a new recruit for your gaming. A weekend to yourself is a luxury to be savored but not savored like those grilled insects from China. Have fun in the Great Paraguayan War game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes, I will be quite happy if a visit to or from a friend becomes a regular event in my wife's diary!

      Delete
  9. Two lovely looking games there Keith and nice to see more of your collection in action. Having time to yourself?: complete and utter luxury! For once it's nice to see that we are warmer than you guys as we've actually got some 'proper' Summer weather at last. Really looking forward to seeing how the Paraguyan War plays out too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...luxury indeed! Our winter officially started with the arrival of June, and so far it's been pretty miserable, with a lot of squally rain and wind, although not really all that cold by the standards of your latitudes. I think we are around the same distance south of the equator as the Mediterranean countries are north, so that will give you an idea of our range of temperatures....

      Delete
  10. Great to see the pulp figures in action again Keith. Andrew's setup looks very nice. It will be great to see the forthcoming AAR and Mark's Paraguayan project on the table. I enjoyed Shanghai and particularly the Bund, but will never forget the never-ending procession of barges loaded with rubbish on their way to dump it out at sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes, Andrew has lots of cool scenery and some very unusual fantastic creatures in his collections! Shanghai was pretty cool, I don't recall seeing badges of rubbish but doubtless they still do that....all the crap in the oceans has to come from somewhere .....

      Delete
  11. Excellent AAR ! Always easier to write when the result goes the right way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ben...yes, that's a good point!

      Delete
  12. Great use of a hall pass to go play games for the weekend! The figures and terrain look pretty snazzy. You should definitely encourage the wife to have friends over more. I’m always volunteering to watch the kids so y wife can go do stuff with friends with the sneaky idea that it just means that I can later on ask her to watch the kids while I play games…. The exchange rate is about 3 to 1 times. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my wife's friend has already booked in for another visit Stew - I cant wait! Thanks for the tactical suggestion but given my kids are young adults, I cant use that one any more....I wonder how else I can manipulate her ? :)

      Delete
  13. Cracking looking games Keith…
    Nice that you got a couple of games on the night…

    And of course lovely to revisit your visit to China.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly - pleased you enjoyed it, as we did!

      Delete