Monday 12 February 2024

Some Recent Arrivals Painted

 I have been quite productive recently, in an unfocussed, butterfly-like manner - with several different batches of figures on the go simultaneously, as well as some building and construction work - more of that anon.

Tonight, I present most of the Sultana Heteira's court by Effincool Miniatures - I say most, because the snake charmer is not yet finished - it's the snakeskin pattern. you see......! Here are the rest of the ladies, however, plus a few potential scenes from future Pulp scenarios....


The Sultana and her retinue are entertained.


The Court entertainers


Sitar Solo!


European Slave Girls are employed in the Court of the Sultana.




Female Nazis presented to The Sultana.


Visiting African royalty pay their respects.


A brash Pulp Hero tells these dames, what's what....


Not so noisy now, is he?!


And his female companion does not look happy either!


The Court with a couple of Egyptian additions.

I am very happy with how these figures have turned out and I must just figure out how to work them into an upcoming episode of "The Desk Mask of Ramallah".

Finally, I recently purchased and have just finished watching this DVD that many British readers may remember from their dim and distant youth - I am unsure if it is known to our N American colleagues?



The Flashing Blade


The Flashing Blade (French: Le Chevalier Tempête) is a French television serial made in the late 1960s. It was first broadcast in the UK on BBC children's television during the 1960s, with several re-runs throughout the 1970s. The British version of twelve 22 minutes episodes was created from the original four French 75-minute episodes.

The fictional story is based upon historical events during the War of the Mantuan Succession (1628–1631) between France and Spain and its allies. Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy, a supporter of Spain, laid siege to Casale, the capital of Montferrat on the Savoie (Savoy) border. Despite numerous attempts to scale the defences, the beleaguered garrison held out. The Savoy army was eventually defeated by a French relief force on 18 March 1629.

The castle of Casale, seen being besieged in the opening credits, was filmed at Château Gaillard in France.

Plot
The series revolves around the efforts of a dashing French spy to engineer the garrison's rescue. François, the Chevalier de Recci, and his servant Guillot are trapped in a besieged castle on the border between France and Spain. When the Spanish elite hear of a possible truce between France and Spain, some of them do not want a truce because the capture of the castle has greater strategic importance.

The Spanish begin a bombardment in order to capture the French castle before any form of ceasefire agreement is signed. The garrison commander, General Thoiras, recruits François and Gullot to break through Spanish lines to get word of the attack to the French Army. The pair, with their superior swordplay and horsemanship, embark on a daring mission evading capture, enemy spies and pursuing soldiers to deliver their message. The series ends with the Chevalier bringing news of the peace conference's decision to the Spanish Forces surrounding the castle.


The hero and heroine of the tale - the Chevalier de Recci and Isabelle de Sospel.


The evil Spanish adversary - Don Alonso.

As was to be expected, it is of its time (production values, what's that then?!) and does not really stand up to modern expectations, but I am glad I got it and no doubt I will watch it all again some day in the future, although I would be hard put to recommend anyone watch it, unless, like me, it's for nostalgia's sake!

36 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some very fruity figures in todays post Keith, I'm sure it will upset some of your more delicate readers!! The Flashing Blade, Oh how I loved that show when I was a kid! Me and my brother would go straight out in the garden after watching it and practise our sword fighting skills, practically try to land that death blow on each other!!! Oh what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...yes, I remember duelling with garden canes...bloody sore when your opponent whacked you over the fingers!

      Delete
  3. Well I say, you have been busy! I need to see if I can find a UL distributer of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly ment Uk distributor.🤦🏼

      Delete
    2. I did wonder if it was an acronym I did not recognize Michael (see below reply to Mr Freitag!)

      Delete
  4. Nicely painted figures Keith.
    The Flashing Blade is certainly a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard....yes,one of the better kids TV series from the early 70's!

      Delete
  5. Great work there Keith and love the scenic setting for the figures, which works a treat:).

    Ah, the Flashing Blade! One of the BEST theme tunes ever and with such a great opening sequence too. A staple of the Summer holidays along with Robinson Crusoe, the Banana Splits show et al. Off to listen to the theme tune now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...I listened to the song once through....then fast forwarded it! It may be a classic, but hearing it twice every 22 minutes or so would have been too much of a good thing!

      Delete
  6. Fine work, Keith! Clearly, some of these figures are NSFW. Luckily, many of us are no longer in the Workforce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NSFW.... I had to Google that, Jon! It's not an acronym I am familiar with!

      Delete
    2. Hope you found the meaning. You know, I’m a hipster, daddy-o.

      Delete
    3. Lol...I did indeed...not safe for work, for any other old foggies like me, who don't know!

      Delete
  7. Nice work on some very good figures, a nice collection. The Flashing Blade is a real blast from the past, a theme tune that's a classic and a show I really enjoyed way back in the day, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Donnie....I think most of us will remember FB, along with the Robin Hood and William Tell series of a similar vintage, with great affection!

      Delete
  8. What??!! dark skinned naked ladies and light bondage? This blog is hitting too close to home...😁😜

    Nice job setting up the display. Those went from bare metal to painted really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the direction my blog is heading Stew! I thought you might have said the figures went from bare metal to bare flesh really quickly!! 😆

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty....not quite Marston Moor, but I like them!

      Delete
  10. It seems like only yesterday when these arrived Keith. Lovely work. I don't remember the Flashing Blade at all even though I spent a few years in the UK in my childhood. It looks like the sort of program I would have enjoyed though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really depends on your age Lawrence...I dint think I saw it in 1969...but I may have...I would have been 6 or 7 then....it was one of those series that was repeated ad nauseum every school holiday etc...I am sure I saw parts of it more than once!

      Delete
  11. Well, not familiar with the television show, so can't say much on that end (costumes are of course of interest). However, regarding the ladies..."Goodness, gracious, me!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, isn't that a direct quote from a movie starring Peter Sellars and Sophia Loren??!

      Delete
  12. You certainly didn’t waste any time getting those painted 😁.
    I imagine we will be seeing some exotic adventures in the future.

    The Flashing Blade certainly brings back memories…
    And I now have the theme tune as an ear worm 🤣

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the plan, Aly.....otherwise, what possible justification do I have for buying and painting them?!
      The Flashing Blade was a nice trip down (distant) Memory Lane!

      Delete
  13. Awesome harem figs, Keith! Love the ones dancing and playing the stringed instrument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, they are very nice sculpts, for sure!

      Delete
  14. Keith, quite the change of pace. I just hope Ilse will not get her own menagerie for back home. Nice attention to detail .

    As for the series, looks like a great way walk down memory
    And. I don't recall that one, only a Robin Hood.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe...I think the various TV shows may have been specific to the UK....the only US one I can immediately recall from childhood is Casey Jones (and the Cannonball Express)!

      Delete
  15. A lot of fun stuff Keith. I hope my wife doesn’t catch me looking at all those naked ladies ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the figures fun, Matt...probably be something more serious next time!

      Delete
  16. Nice work - and looks ideal for The Mummy and The Mummy Returns-style pulp games. Thanks for the nostalgic reminder of those 1960s adventure films too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David.....and thanks for your visit and comment too!

      Delete