Saturday 3 February 2024

Two Recent Dungeon Crawler games

 I have taken the description from my friend Andrew, who hosted these games recently at his place. Again, we used a variation of his AS9 rules, and tiles/scenery collected from various Fantasy box games and Kick Starters backed by Andrew over the years. 

In both games, the basic aim was the same - two groups enter an underground crypt/dungeon via separate sets of stairs, traverse the netherworld, picking up VP's, defending themselves from marauding demons and monsters, and potentially engaging in combat with each other, prior to exiting again via the other set of stairs.

We had a value of 22 points and were able to select our own warbands up to this value, with sorcerers etc costing 4 points, apprentices or skilled warriors 3 points, professionals 2 and "grunts" 1 point each. Virtually every roll succeeds on a 9 or better on 2 x D6 and the figures add their skill value to the die roll - so sorcerer adds 3, apprentice 2, professional 1 and grunt 0.

Activation was by a full pack of standard playing cards - all red cards were my group, all black Andrews - and in this game, there was no limit on how many turns one side could have in a row. All court cards had the chance of generating a beast/monster.

Let's see how we got on!

Game One


Table layout



My group - 2 x sorceresses, 2 x apprentices, three (professional) armed nuns plus two bow armed "grunts!"


And here is Andrews group descending the other set of stairs.



Both groups advanced slowly, searching for VP's



Here is the first monster that was generated:



The Spectre appeared to Andrews right, and a group of his characters went off to deal with it. The cards are repurposed from Frostgrave (I think), and the stars indicate how many points the monster adds to die rolls and how many hits it takes to kill them.



As the other half of Andrews force successfully unlocked a magic door, they generated another monster!


My team advanced as one group, led by a Frostgrave Sigilist Sorceress!


Andrews guys successfully dispatched monster number 2.


On the other flank, the Spectre was doing a bit of damage....


.... but was eventually taken out by a combination of Andrews players. Killing a grade 3 monster gained his group 3 VP.


In my sector, the third monster of the day appeared!


Apparently, this figure is 40-50 years old and was a free toy in the bottom of a packet of breakfast cereal! (remember collecting those?!)


Sadly, the beast killed the nun - but was in turn killed by a spell from the apprentice Sigilist!


Whilst I was tied up monster killing, Andrews team was getting ahead of me in the race to the stairs!


They unlocked another magic gate - and generated a giant wolf!



The wolf charged forwards, but I think was dispatched without loss by Andrew's force.


My band spent some time gaining a few extra points in the centre of the table.


Andrews band has the exit in sight!


But they were moving extremely slowly and running low on activation cards .....


My group now had a number of turns one after the other, as the cards fell in my favour, finally!



Both groups close in on their escape route.




My group reaches the stairs with several activation cards to spare - but Andrew only had one card left...


.... and he rolled a double 1 for movement - so near - and yet so far! Technically, a victory for my force, as Andrew failed to exit the dungeon but, in the points, count up, we had 37 VP each.


I had the "coins" to the left, plus 3 for killing the White Ape, plus the combined score of all my original group members who made it off the table, minus two for the dead nun.


Andrew killed more monsters but also lost more team members - so our scores were tied - except, of course, his entire band failed to escape the nether regions!

The game had only taken about 90 minutes, so after a Chinese take away dinner, we reset, starting at the opposite ends of the table. 

Game Two


I took the opportunity to select a different band - this time, from my Pulp collection - nasty Nazis!I had 2 grade 3 officers, 2 grade 2 Unterofficiers (the pointing figures) three professionals, and two DAK grunts this time.


The Nazis advance through the labyrinth, in search of mystical objects to add to Reichsfuhrer Himmler's collection of artifacts. 




The two groups converged on the centre of the table from opposite directions!



At the far end of the table (adjacent to my exit route) a Lich Lord appeared - GREAT!


Andrew had gained a couple of Chaos Warriors at one point, and he threw these against my group - fortunately, female nazis are more evil than these part timers, and my team prevailed!


As Ilsa and Elsa battled the chaos warriors, Andrews characters slipped away towards the exit stairs.



Having taken a couple of detours en route to gain some extra VP's. the nazi band still had some distance to travel to escape from the underworld.


This monster was generated but its location was too far removed from where my band were located to be of any concern.


Fraulein Doktor Elsa Von Helsing, having dallied just a little too long to gain that last extra VP, was cut off and killed by the Lich Lord, but the remainder of the Nazi group made good their escape with a couple of cards to spare!

And this time, there was a definite winner, with my SS-Verband coming out ahead, 33 points to 27.

As always, these games were great fun and had the added bonus of being my first games of 2024, albeit they were played in the last week of January.

Last night, John and I partook of several games of Zombie killing at Julians gaff, but the AAR of those will have to wait a few days.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read my ramblings and I hope it was of some passing interest!

34 comments:

  1. What fantastic games-very immersive. It is so different from my usual fare of number crunching with battalions! Great AAR! The story and focus make is very absorbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot John.....I do wonder sometimes if "real" ie historical gamers like this kind of thing or just roll their eyes! It wasn't always something I was interested in, but the small number of figures and narrative driven games have definitely grown on me!

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of playing D&D nearly fifty years ago. Nice set up and figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet 40 to 50 years ago, Jon, this sort of gaming held no interest for me whatsoever! Hope for you, it is a happy memory!

      Delete
  3. Fun looking games, before videos took over I used to play similar with my son 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt - yes, I always enjoy these games nowadays!

      Delete
  4. A ton going on there, great gaming and characters galore. I was transported back many years to a time when ‘Sorcerer’s Cave’ was in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm! It seems like many of my readers played this type of game in their distant youth!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Looking at what you paint, I would guess you would like this type of gaming, Michal!

      Delete
  6. Not my bag but it looks like you had a blast - which is all that really counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's fair enough too, JBM, although it's not a million miles removed from the VSF you were playing when I first started following your blog?

      Delete
  7. That came across as being a lot of fun Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been able to get through weeks of a D&D game, but was always a fan of these dungeon type games which you could play in a few hours. We used to love those breakfast cereal figures, but some child somewhere must have swallowed one to put an end to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I think I know what you mean Lawrence. I don't really know much about the RPG gaming with a GM telling you what happens if you open door A versus Door B etc - but for me, it's all about the toys - a game without 15, 20 or 28mm miniatures has very little appeal to me - and something where it was all "in your head" and on bits of paper AND took weeks to play through, holds no interest at all!

      Delete
  9. Great game Keith and like many I used to play these back in the 70's. Not such a fancy setup, just cardboard strips for the dungeon walls, but always lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, as mentioned, I didn't ever play this type of game back in the seventies, but I am enjoying them nowadays, every now and again.

      Delete
  10. Clever use of so many figures, terrain, rules and so on. Looking forward to the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe - there are some Zombie hunting games already in the can for release in a day or two- stay tuned!

      Delete
  11. Two great games there Keith and loved the stairs that both sides used to enter the dungeon; nice touch! As others have said, this takes me back nigh on 50 years to very simple D&D type games. If only we'd had access to simple dungeon tiles etc then our games might have been even more interesting. Happy days:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I do quite like the tiles for these types of games - and Andrew has a heap of lovely terrain - both homemade (eg the two staircases you liked!) and bits from boardgames he has invested in over the years.

      Delete
  12. Table looks great, cool monsters, and 2 fun games in one sitting; How much better does it get?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, probably not everyone's cup of tea, but they are quick...and fun!

      Delete
  13. Takes me back to "ye olde dayes" playing paper and pencil D&D--only better! A splendid temptation: I've got a few disembodied medievals and fantasy figs stored away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are half way there Ed, time to dust off those old figures, perhaps?!

      Delete
  14. fun evening. Nazi's exploring underground caverns? sounds like an Indiana Jones movie. 😁
    nice set up. a nice touch that the monsters matched the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stew...Indiana Jones is EXACTLY the feel I was looking for when I started all this Pulp madness...thanks!

      Delete
  15. Thanks Keith, it was a fun couple of games.
    So a couple of days after, before I cleared the table, I had a refight using two of the same size warbands. This time I had the cubes stay on table even after they had revealed nothing and used the "double" dice roll for event cards as we used in the first game. Even then it was halfway through before anything appeared but when they did, there was a whole lot of them. One band had to fight off more wandering monsters but got out with 4 or 5 figures, but the other band got within 2" of the stairs when the cards ran out! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff Andrew....that ending sounds like a reprise of what happened to you in our first game!

      Delete
  16. A cracking couple of dungeon crawls Keith…
    It was a nice twist using your pulp toys…
    Those multiple firing sub-magic missile machine-wands are very useful

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are Aly - glad you appreciated it - I am sure some, if not most, of Andrews band are your own creations!

      Delete