Friday 8 December 2017

R.C.W. - Finally, some progress!

I have finally made it to the end of one, almost two, units for my new Russian Civil War project.

Firstly is a cavalry unit of ten figures, from the Old Glory WW1 range. I like to use OG if I can, due to the cost effectiveness of this range. I usually have an "Army Card" running, at a cost of $US50 per annum - this provides a 40% discount on a range that is already pretty competitively priced. Admittedly, they do not seem to have added one sculpt in the last 15 years, and some of their ranges are not the best - think early Napoleonic in particular - but when you get a good one, I think they are as well done as many of the more expensively priced ranges.

Anyway, enough justification - they are probably a bit smaller than the Copplestone and Brigade figures I will be using for most of the infantry, but as they are mounted, the difference wont be too obvious

 Here is the officer figure and his bugler
 The standard bearer and a trooper
 Two enthusiastic charging troopers
 A sergeant (with pistol) and a trooper
 The last two troopers
 A group of three bases together. All the figures come minus the right hand - you can choose from about twenty options - there are enough open hands to make this a regiment of lancers, for example - I only used one of these, for the standard bearer

The next unit is not 100% complete because it does not have a command base yet. I am in a bit of a quandary about this - the figures are Hinterland female sailors painted up as the Red navy - but the command who come with the set are more appropriate for a colonial setting, as the officer and sergeant are sporting helmets akin to a pith helmet or British Home Service helmet of the late 19th century....I have them half painted and will probably just use them but they wont look quite right!
 Above are all five bases of the sailors that I have painted - this comprises two of the 5 figure packs and one 6 figure unit builder pack where you get 6 all the same - the firing figure who appears on every base (yes I do have one left over!)
 Above and below - close ups of a couple of the bases - I think these have come out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment