Saturday 20 February 2021

Friday Night Game - For King and Parliament

 Welcome - normal service has been resumed! After a snap three day level 3 lockdown in Auckland, we were all happy to hear the government announce on Wednesday that we would drop to level 2 with the rest of the country going to level 1 - meaning Julian's proposed Friday night game was back on again - hurrah! Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, the rest of the usual suspects were unavailable to attend, so it ended up just being Julian and myself

We fought a scenario from one of Julian's collection of rule/scenario books - its a fictitious battle apparently based on the classic BBC Radio series "The Archers"....I dont know because even I am not old enough to have listed to drama on the wireless - I think thats more a 50's and 60's thing! (1950's that is , not age group).

We remembered some rules that we have previously forgotten in the heat of battle (mainly because we have played TtF so often and these rules slightly resemble them, although they have MANY more nuances) The morale test when adjacent units are destroyed was particularly helpful to me!


The battle plan - I was the "Royalists" on the bottom of the map


View of the table before I had deployed


View from Julian's side after I had spent half an hour pulling troops from five different boxes!


My overall commander - despite the fact I was nominally Royalist and Julian Parliamentarian, the actual forces deployed were Covenanters on my side and TYW Swedes on Julian's - obviously some falling out over an arcane area of Calvinist theology!


I was outnumbered in cavalry but theoretically had an advantage if charging - so I did on the left flank


Well that didnt go so well - one unit destroyed and another retired disordered - 3 coins gone from my army morale!


On the other (right) flank, my smaller cavalry units moved forward to engage Julian.


This cavalry met with more success - I had one less unit but was able to concentrate them more quickly than Julian, so had a three to two advantage in the first action


On the other flank, unhindered by my one remaining unit, Julian's four cavalry units charged forwards, but after several moves were destroyed or driven back by my gallant dragoons and commanded shot! ( coins off Julian's army morale.


The next four shots are how the right wing cavalry tussle developed


Stands turned at 90 deg indicate disrupted. My units could sustain two hits, Julian's could take three - but it did not save him. In one fight, I had five cards and got four hits, Julian needed to save three - which he didnt - minus another three coins mate!


Having destroyed the cavalry, this unit charged a disordered dismounted dragoon unit - and were defeated! Another three coins off my pile.


But I also managed to wipe out this unit - Julian's four cavalry brigade was reduced to a sole survivor


As mentioned, on the other flank, withering musketry removed another two cavalry units with the one remaining (at left by hedge) pulling back to reorganise


The mas yellow brigade of four pike and shot units advanced in the centre - whoops, here we go I thought....but some good shooting managed to disorder a couple of them


We traded fire for a couple of turns, I had two disordered units and Julian I think had three


And then all of a sudden, one unit popped and another disappeared after failing a morale test - and all Julian's coins were gone, whilst I still had about ten

25 comments:

  1. This is a nice, big game, Keith! Congratulations on your victory. How are you liking playing ECW on a grid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon....it was a lucky win in truth. The cards fell my way a few times, when if they had gone the other, Julian would have been the victor. I don't mind the grid style games...they are more stylised I think and closer to a board game with figures but there are some advantages to their mechanics.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Keith and good to see you back to some FtF gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve...it was just the right size of game for a Friday evening too!

      Delete
  3. Awesome gaming with great looking troops, Keith! Reminds me that I've yet to get my ECW guy on the table too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean...Yes we would certainly all appreciate seeing your lovely figures gracing a table.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking game (the archers is still on the radio) well done for winning, it's an enjoyable scenario and it sounds like fun for both of you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain...it was a fun game and there was much gnashing of teeth and the odd expletive as the cards fell the wrong way at a crucial point!

      Delete
  5. Nice looking game Keith, I think the 'Archers scenario' has survived the show circuit and is well tested. The grid system hoes nicely hand-in-hand with a hedgerow battlescape.

    Fantastic to see that NZ is is a position of short, fast lockdowns being sufficient, here in the UK ours move from weeks to months, a necessity of course, but it really heightens the awareness of what we are losing out on. I'm sure after all of this, the simple things will not be taken for granted again ... well at least for some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hedges do seem to go well with a grid. I was thinking the same thing. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
    2. Thanks Norm...yes we have been well served by our government and public servants here I think. Some people here were whinging about the three days we had to put up with a few restrictions because of the financial cost to businesses etc but they really should take a look at most of the rest of the world and get some perspective....

      Delete
  6. Good looking tussle, you are lucky to have some freedom face to face gaming would be nice. Grid based games not my favourite although with my CCN games I am seeing them in a different light ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt....I understand your reservation ..I certainly would never want to move exclusively to grid based games but Julian really likes TtS and now FKAP and as he us generally my host, I am happy to go along with these systems at his house

      Delete
  7. Most excellent game. Superb terrain and figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...the figures look nice in the photos and Julian has some good looking terrain

      Delete
  8. Very nice game, Keith! Terrain and miniatures look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry. Hope to have a To the Strongest game this Friday coming

      Delete
  9. That turned out to be a resounding victory by the look of it Keith. It looked like a fun game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Yes, the result was far more one sided than I had any right to expect. Julian started with two more coins than me but I had a heap left at the end.

      Delete
  10. 3 day lock down.... lucky you. Excellent looking game Keith nice scenario.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stu, yes I know, right? Some people here should try a couple of weeks in your guys shows to stop the moaning....the game was great fun...although maybe not so much for Julian!

      Delete
  11. Very nice AAR. Though what’s a 3 day lockdown??? Our here go on and on and on...lol.
    I keep meaning to try out TtS but have never gotten around to it. Posts like these are a good reminder. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew...well maybe if your archaic version of democracy didn't let a buffoon win the presidency with less votes than his opponent, you might have had better reaction to the virus...๐Ÿ˜Š The game was fun and TtS is quite a good system so you should definitely give it a go

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...a game is generally more fun when you win, I find!

      Delete