Thursday, 17 September 2026

HJ Flak Crew, Berlin 1945

 As mentioned in my previous post, I think the figures are based on these scenes from the movie "Downfall" (which is a great watch, BTW)


So, here are my versions. The FLAK 37 is a Warlord/Rubicon kit, and the BDM operator figure comes in the kit, but had a Statuesque Pulp scale female head added.



I sprayed the gun with a Tamiya aerosol then brushed over very watered-down black paint, then highlighted with a lighter buff type colour - I think the result is quite nice?





If you refer back to the first picture, I think the inspiration is pretty obvious?


I might have to tidy up her eyes although no one will ever be able to see this detail in real life, as its take on x 2 sizing on my phone camera!


Likewise, the similarity between the movie character and the gun commander seem obvious to me....








Next, a quick n dirty bit of scratch-built terrain for a WW2 game I will be running at Barrys on Sunday. It will be a Barbarossa era Wehrmacht assault on a Russian city defended by the Red Army. I needed a Russian style pill box and after consulting Co Pilot, this was constructed based on its recommendations! Juust cars stuck together then plastered with a filler paste to simulate rough concrete. Certainly not up to Marks amazing standards, but it will do for me!


The roof can be removed so figures can be placed inside.



German figure for scale

Finally, in a "real world" moment, last Friday I was lucky enough to be part of a team who took some of our larger customers out on a fishing charter for the day. 77 snapper were caught and each person took home around 12 fillets - a great day out although slightly bumpy on the way back in! The skipper, who I genuinely think was younger than my son (who turned 25 today!) did a great job, along with his crew.


0615, ready for the off!



Passing Auckland CBD





A few fishies!




Deck hand filleting the fish on the return trip


Around 150 fillets ready to be skinned and boned!

Needless to say, my wife and I had fresh fish for dinner, and I gave 4 fillets to my daughter Amy and her partner, and 4 to Micahel and his partner!

Now, once I have posted this, I will try using the "hack" Jon told us about - and hopefully, this will appear on at least some blog lists in a few minutes....

43 comments:

  1. That 88 is a nice model. You have come straight through on my reader in 7 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm - I checked immediately after posting on Jons Blog List - and it wasn't there - so I did the "hack" a second time - but then left it for an hour or so before checking again - so it does seem to work - Hurrah!

      Delete
  2. Good work on the models, and success on both fishing trip and publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - and the publishing success is entirely due to your going to the trouble of finding a solution - and then telling us all how to implement it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Coming from you, Michal, that is a great compliment!

      Delete
  4. Well this appeared pretty quickly Keith:). Great work on the 88 and the crew. 'Downfall' is such a great film, but a sobering watch at the same time. Good to see you had a good catch by the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I am glad Jon's solution seems to work! "A Woman in Berlin" is another good film set at the end of the war in Berlin. Personally, I only caught one "keeper" (they have to measure 30cm or more from the nose to the V of their tail fin) but the "team" managed a decent total!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on adding to your collection and to your refrigerator! 😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic work, Keith. Downfall is a great film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard - we seem to agree on the film, too.

      Delete
  7. Your new figs look great mate. Downfall was a pretty well put together production and I like the similarities your printed minis have with the screenshots. I've held a flak 88 round and it was heavy! Couldn't imagine a teenager doing likewise solo.

    Your bunker looks rough and ready - pretty much perfect for Soviet use! :) I should probably make some for my own tables, it looks like something even my fumbling paws could put together.

    Snapper tastes delicious! (Pricey over here tho) That fishing trip looked fun and I'm glad your clients got their fill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - snapper tastes great here too and is also pretty expensive to buy - getting it for free is a great bonus!
      The bunker was simple - from memory, height 35-40mm, 80mm each side making it square (obviously!) and the firing slit is 5mm and covers say 60mm of the 80mm frontage. Rear steel door and it could/should have had an L shaped blast wall to protect soldiers entering/leaving - but with my usual lack of planning, I stuck the 80 x 80 structure onto a 100 x 100 base without giving any thought to its exact placement, and the rear wall ended up too close to the edge of the base to allow me to accommodate anything - you can guarantee Mark wouldn't make that sort of mistake!!

      Delete
  8. These are looking great! I think you are spot on with the inspiration and the characters have a haunting feeling to them. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I wonder how long they will last in a game....

      Delete
  9. Nice work. You must have a ton of flak guns now Keith. The latest addition to your Berlin defenders all look great. This post didn't appear for me, but I'll have to go back and try editing your feed on my blog again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That worked. Top of the list again.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lawrence - I think you are confusing me with someone else - I have a grand total of TWO Flak guns - the other is field grey for Blitzkrieg era use!

      Delete
  10. Great looking figures and gun Keith. They will look good in the ruins of Berlin (maybe not good, maybe depressing 😢😁)

    The bunker will be a handy addition as well to the terrain collection.

    Well done on the fishing, next time take a customer who is late paying their invoices and toss them overboard, just to encourage prompt payment by the others 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Your post came up quickly on my list together with a few others, so hopefully things are getting better...... thanks to Jonathan.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comments, Ben and yes, thanks to Jon for the solution to the Blogger issue!

      Delete
  11. Very nice work on the gun. The figures selected are certainly evocative of the 1944-45 period you are gaming. Great additions to your forces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Peter - I felt like I had more than enough Red Army figures (although I could easily be tempted to buy more!) and decided I needed someone to fight them during their inexorable march West.

      Delete
  12. Great looking model. Don't think I've ever watched Downfall

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking gun and crew, nice bunker and great haul,policemen getting younger too?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain and yes, I am well past that stage - our Police Commissioner and Prime Minister look young to me although in my defence we did have a 37 year old PM a few years back!

      Delete
  14. Awesome looking gun and irregular crew. Nice sights as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - I am glad you liked both themes!

      Delete
  15. Very nice detailing on the 88 (and general brushwork on all). Don't think I've ever had such a splendid work outing--the cruise itself would have been enough, let alone the catch. Aside: it looks like the blog list update bug might have finally been fixed....(fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed - re Blogger - I am not sure - I have used Jons method to "push" my recent post, and that seemed to work, but I don't know if the actual fault has been rectified as there seem to still be a lot fewer new posts turning up on other peopled blog lists - I don't have one myself.

      Delete
  16. Good paint jobs Keith.
    Talking of Downfall. Someone (with better tech skills than me) ought to do one of those Hitler Rant parodies....of Blogger's recent problems. "All of those whose blogroll has updated may leave the room now...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris - LOL - yes, those Hitler rants on YouTube are quite amusing!

      Delete
  17. Fantastic looking 88 and the crew look grand, as well as adding much poignancy.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Keith, have you seen this one posted by Mark Felton? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LXbH8W0hes

      Delete
    2. Thanks James - I have watched a few of the Mark Felton videos on YouTube - not sure about this one, so I will take a look

      Delete
  18. Great figures Keith and I've gotta agree about Downfall, what a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheers Ray - not sure my wife would agree, though - or yours??!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice work on the 88 and crew and pill box Keith! I think the crew do very much resemble the Downfall scene. It is a great movie - such great actors and the portrayal of cold damp paranoia inside the bunker is so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason - I hope to get my Berlin Defenders into action soon - probably in a solo game. Have you seen this deleted scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnAi1rNBvA

      Delete