Tuesday 1 August 2023

A Brief Interlude

 Of course, you KNEW I could not completely ignore all the shiny new stuff that's turned up over the last couple of weeks, didn't you?! 

It's only a very minor detour though - the GNW project continues apace, with another battalion nearing completion.

As a small taster of what will be in store from late August onwards, here are four 28mm WWII Blitzkrieg era Germans to give you a brief idea of where my painting will be heading next.


First up are the two Propaganda Kompanie figures from Col Bills....


A movie cameraman...,. 



.... and a stills photographer



For anyone interested, here is a bit too much information, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Wehrmacht Propaganda Troops (German: Wehrmachtpropaganda, abbreviated as WPr) was a branch of service of the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II. Subordinated to the High Command of the Wehrmacht (the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht), its function was to produce and disseminate propaganda materials aimed at the German troops and the population.

Planning and formation
The planning for propaganda activities by the Wehrmacht began in 1938. Joseph Goebbels, the head of Ministry of Propaganda, sought to establish effective cooperation with the Wehrmacht to ensure a smooth flow of propaganda materials from the front. He deferred to the military in setting up and controlling the propaganda companies but provided assistance in supplying personnel.

Function and operation
The service was subordinated to the OKW Chief of Operation Staff, General Alfred Jodl. Commanded by General Hasso von Wedel, the department oversaw the numerous propaganda companies (Propagandakompanie or PK) of the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS, attached to the fighting troops. At its peak in 1942, the propaganda troops included 15,000 men.

The propaganda companies were the only news-reporting units in areas of military operation, as civilian news correspondents were prohibited from entering combat zones. The troops produced the written, audio and film materials from the front and sent them to a processing center in Germany, where they were reviewed by censors, mostly for security purposes. The filtered materials were then forwarded to the Ministry of Propaganda for immediate dissemination. Among the propaganda materials produced was the Wehrmachtbericht, the official news communiqué about the military situation of the Reich and was intended for both domestic and foreign consumption.


Secondly. a couple of fighting troops, on the left above from Crusader Miniatures and on the right from 1st Corps


1st Corps junior officer armed with MP40 sub machine gun.




And an NCO from Crusader, again armed with the ubiquitous "Schmeisser"





Both figures have the standard belt kit of ammo pouches, bread bag, water bottle and gas mask cannister. The 1st Corps figure also has an entrenching tool and bayonet (not sure why the latter when he isn't armed with a rifle...?)

I am pretty happy with how these have turned out. I have undercoated a couple of the Warlord plastic figures, just for completeness, but they are going to be a bit of a pain, as I haven't been able to figure out a solid, but temporary, way to attach them to a base for painting purposes, so looks like I may have to hold them by one boot as I paint the rest of the figure, which I have not done for thirty odd years!

Thanks for your visit and for your comments.

37 comments:

  1. Roach clip, keep your fingers clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I literally ahd NO IDEA what you meant there Jos - but Google came to the rescue! Never heard of this device in my life but it could work!

      Delete
    2. That’s funny, Keith! You’re not that young, are you?

      Delete
    3. I've used many a roach clip in my teens and not for hobbying. :)

      Delete
    4. I think it must be an American thing - I literally have never heard the term till this post!

      Delete
    5. During my teens and earliest 20's in Wales and England the term was very much used, but then, I could well have travelled in different circles back then than you sir. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the new German Infantry figures Kieth- looks like the 28mm , 1/56th Project is well under way - look forward to seeing further development and I'd be interested in seeing the German vehicles you paint up as well. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev. Given the size if the vehicles, I am considering using spray cans of Panzer Grey paint, rather than a brush, which is my usual method. I could then add layers of highlight with a brush.....

      Delete
    2. Yes spray paint sounds like a good idea for the 1/56th scale models....are you going to purchase German Tanks if available? Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    3. I already have 3 x PzKfw 38 (t) tanks and two SdKfz 251 carriers in hand!

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done figure and fascinating information too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark glad you found the PK background interesting!

      Delete
  4. Bravo, Keith! This is a real collection. I love figurines of non-combatants - nurses, cooks, radio operators, coachmen... Now propaganda workers! This is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These fellas look good! How will you work the photojournalists into a game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really sure Jon - most likely, they will just be set dressing - but we could have VP's for getting them within X inches of actual fighting, without them being killed?!

      Delete
  6. These look very nice. I see the butterfly effect has caught hold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a bit like Covid Neil, most people succumb eventually!

      Delete
  7. I really like the camera crew. did the set come with some posing soldiers?
    I always paint my miniatures on the base that they will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No posing soldiers Stew! As to painting, for years I have preferred to hold a separate base (you can see examples in the images of the two infantrymen). The problem with the Warlord ones is, you glue them onto their 25mm round bases, but I will eventually have them in groups on 50mm round bases - but I don't want to glue three unpainted figures onto a 50mm bas and then try to paint them....!

      Delete
  8. Great job on these Keith. The propaganda crew look great. I still prefer to hold my figures individually when painting. It can be frustrating at times, but I much prefer being able to manoeuvre them individually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On painting, I am an individualist too, Lawrence.

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys - yes, I too want to be able to hold the individual figure, I would just prefer them to have a base for me to hold, like a metal figure would have - I prefer not to have to hold them by the leg while I paint the face etc!

      Delete
  9. Fine work there Keith and love the propoganda kompanie figures, which will make a nice vignetter I'm sure. I paint my figures once based, so not an issue for me. When I did paint larger figures they were individually based, so not a problem. You could try small pieces of double sided tape to hold the figures in position, or even Blu Tack. Some people use good quality pva glue I believe, which is another option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve, for both the comments and the advice. I have tried both PVA and Blutack, as well as liquid nails, but none really worked to my satisfaction, so the first couple of figures are half painted using the trusty "hold them by the boot" method!

      Delete
  10. Nice work on those figures and interesting background. I always stick figures onto sticks/batons with either glue or blu-tack. Plus I score the bottom of plastic bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard - my issue here is the Warlord figures have no organic base - the feet have to be attached to a 25mm round base (supplied) but I don't want them individually based, I want to attach them in pairs and threes to a larger 50mm round base....anyway, it really is the very definition of a first world problem, so I won't bore people discussing it any further

      Delete
  11. Really like the character in these sculpts and you've painted them up nicely too Keith. As to basing... eh, I get it - I have a bunch of zombies I want to base en masse on a cd, but no way to paint them without pancerni's suggestion of a clip to hold them with prior to gluing to said cd base. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have just gone with holding the figure which makes me feel like a fourteen year old but hey, ho!

      Delete
  12. Nicely done Keith…..I do love early war Germans 👍

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking Germans, Keith. Goebbels was a master of propaganda for sure - and had the film footage to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean....at least the Nazis were "honest" and admitted the Ministry and Minister were dedicated to propaganda...not Public Relations, Marketing or some other BS title!

      Delete
  14. Splendid stuff…
    You could always give whatever unit the propaganda crew were a bonus of some kind… “we are on film… charge” 😬.
    I glue my figures to bits of 5 or 3 mm foam board… because the outside layers are card/thick paper they are very easy to remove when finished .

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...extra motivation from the presence of the cameraman ....I like it!

      Delete
  15. Great looking ww2 Germans, the different makes work well together, I use double sided tape for painting my figures, seems to work?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete