Sunday 7 June 2020

First Post Covid 19 Lockdown Game

On Friday 5 June 2020, history was made as our group got together at Julian's place for our first Friday night game in about three months. To be honest the lock down seems a pretty distant memory to me now, as when we moved to L3 here in NZ, I went back to travelling to and from work every day, rather than working from home as I did under  L4. As this occurred on or about 4 May, I have probably now been back at work for as long as I was working from home - the whole of April basically - so my period of working at home seems a long time ago now!

Our group has had (and continues to have) a mixture of experiences around the lock down - a couple have returned to near normality like me, whereas others are still being required by their employers to work from home. None of the group have been impacted at all - as far as I am aware - but I did find out that a number of people I know through work had caught the virus and two had been hospitalised, including a fit 32 year old, who was so affected he genuinely thought he was going to die at one point - scary stuff.

We played a scenario based on a genuine battle I believe but I cant remember what or where and neither can I remember who the protagonists were supposed to be - I do not think any of the troops on the table represented who they should have been in reality - they were just a mix of all Julian's Dark Ages collections, with some of my Valkyries in the centre on our side (having been told he intended to run a Dark Ages game using To the Strongest rules, I requested Julian allow me to use my own figures!)

Following are a number of images of the game - basically Chris on our left won the game for us by steadily whittling away Nicks light troops and reducing the other sides coin count (army morale). In the centre, I had some initial success against Julian's screen of archers but then had some bad luck with morale turns that resulted in most of my front line units being disordered. On our right, John had the worst of it in a duel with Mark, so that although we killed off enough enemy units to get them down to zero, we carried on one further turn and reached zero ourselves, with the enemy army in a better tactical position than we were....without the artificial army morale coin count, we could not have claimed any kind of success at all!

Most of the images concentrate on my figures but I did manage to get a few shots of other areas of the battlefield - all the male figures are Julian's from a variety of manufacturers


First few images show the initial deployment



It was a real "line them up and charge" type of game 




My light horse archers after dispensing with one of Julian's archer units


Marks cavalry advance ominously against John


The view of my advance from behind Julian's diminishing archers screen


A couple of close ups of my advancing front line units




The view from the rear of Johns position on our right flank


Julian's heavy infantry prepare to join the fray



A very bloody combat quickly developed between Nick and Chris on our left wing



The centre and right of our position mid game


Julian's heavies advance on my disordered front line


Mark was doing the same to John to my right


A big gap opens as Julian dispatched a couple of my front rank units


On my left, Chris knocked off a couple more of Nicks units and technically won the game for us


A couple of close ups to finish - my Shadowforge archers above and Julian's Gripping Beast (I think) post Roman Britons below


No my finest hour on the gaming table to be sure but certainly great to get back together with the boys after around ten weeks without a physical game....apologies for the average quality of some of the images, I do find that the slightly subdued lighting in Julian's dining room tends to result in poor definition of some of the pictures I take...

17 comments:

  1. Inspiring and impressive gaming. Keep safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean...it was great to be able to meet up with our gaming mates again after so long apart!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great game and wonderful report. Beautiful terrain and figures. I truly look forward to the day I can game with my friends again.

    Stay healthy and safe and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comments Mark and I hope you will be able to get back into face to face gaming again soon too.

      Delete
  4. Rather jealous but glad you are all safe. We have a cunning plan to game in the garden in a week or so, 10 weeks of painting has resulted in lots of new toys and gaming ideas.
    Great looking game and nice to see the ladies on the table.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...I hope your garden game goes ahead and the British weather dies not intervene to spoil your plans!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on pushing through to the other side of this roadblock. We still have a ways to go before we can safely break through to clear skies. Your game looks fab and it must be very satisfying to game again FtF with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan..yes, although we of course have a lot of naysayers here, I think we have been pretty lucky with our political leadership here...we have had no new cases for over two weeks and today they announced that at midnight we will go to the lowest alert level, which is basically no restriction on anything at all. Hopefully other countries will get there in the not too distant future...

      Delete
  6. Great to see you gaming again, and I'm still trying to talk my group into a game of TtS. We're back rolling dice again a week on Saturday. We could have done it earlier, but there were a few various commitments to get out of the way first. Down to three active cases in Queensland now, so hopefully we're not too far off having our restrictions completely lifted as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news from Queensland then Lawrence...hopefully now we have broken the drought, we will get back to frequent games....

      Delete
  7. A fabulous first outing back face to face with the boys Keith. A fine array of boys and girls on the table too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, as you can imagine, it was wonderful to finally get a game in after a break of over ten weeks!

      Delete
  8. Great looking game. Good to see mates are getting back to normal life:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dmitry, we managed a game at Barry's today, so live feels a lot better on the gaming front!

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking game! Glad your back to normal!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...my gaming life was the last to return to normality, as for work, it's been BAU for six weeks now.

      Delete