Wednesday 3 June 2020


Hi All. 

I have not been doing any painting recently, but a possible future project I am looking at is a Border Reivers skirmish level collection, so to facilitate this, I got some info off the Net and started building with trusty cardboard!

I also managed to source an effective looking “dry stayne (stone)” paper as well as roofing slates, wooden floorboards and flagstones for the ground floor. (Remember when you used to have to buy all that type of thing from a model railway shop...now you can just find an image and print it on a colour printer....)

What is he building you ask – well, its my version of a Borders “Pele” (pronounced peel) Tower. I have built it in separate floors, in case I ever want to get to the level of fighting inside the building itself.

I am pretty pleased with the results so far. Below are a few images and I will post again in a few days when there is more to see







Eureka Renaissance ladies added to give an idea of scale







As I said, I am quite pleased with how this has come out and may attempt a few smaller buildings - farm, kirk etc - using similar process. I am currently trying to produce some furniture - tables, benches, fire places etc - so the rooms do not look too bare.

10 comments:

  1. Nice work there Keith. It is amazing what you can do at home now and what we take for granted. I imagine it won't be too long before we will be printing off our own 3D fully-painted plastic miniatures, although I think I'll always prefer to paint lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well I agree on the 3D printer as far as buildings and scenery goes Lawrence...maybe with figures too...just have to wait for the printers to come down to a reasonable cost...and to me, that's a couple if hundred bucks!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking modular building! It is great what we can print off now and what can be 3d printed too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain....I quite enjoy the creative process involved in building something like this from scratch. It's going to be interesting to see how quickly 3D printers develop and what we will be able to do with them in ten or fifteen years

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathon.....I am very happy with how this has turned out...just need to get some figures to go with it now!

      Delete
  4. Very good stuff:) you’re right, some furniture will be nice here. It's not polite to make the ladies stand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry....I am working on some now although my skills as a cabinetmaker are not up to the same level as those of a builder!

      Delete
  5. That's a great build Keith.
    The wargamers challenge do you start with terrain or figures or both :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu...my current challenge is that I emailed the company whose figures I would like to use, Monolith Designs, to check if they are operating at the moment, but they have not responded, so I am loath to order figures that may not arrive for weeks or maybe even a couple of months....

      Delete