Saturday, 15 August 2026

Last Friday Game for a While - The Rise of Moloch

 With Julian his lovely wife Jane off to Europe and then Canada in just under a week, we won't be back at his place until mid-October!! 

As our final outing, our host chose the boardgame Rise of Moloch. It has some very nice plastic figures that Julian has done a great job of painting.

We played two "Chapters" of the campaign, the first was a kind of "learning game". Andrew played the "Nemisis" character, who controls all the "baddies" and has a lot more options at his disposal. Julian, Chris and I were the "Gentlemen" even though Chris and I actually had female characters!

Here is what it says about the game via AI:

Chapter Two of Rise of Moloch continues the story of the Gentlemen of the Unicorn Club confronting the Nemesis and the cult's machinations, introducing new challenges, tactical gameplay, and opportunities for character upgrades.

Story Context

In Chapter Two, players continue their campaign to stop a sinister cult plotting to bring the demon-god Moloch into London. The narrative expands on the rivalry between the Gentlemen of the Unicorn Club and the Nemesis, the cult’s leader, as the city becomes increasingly dangerous 

This chapter, like others in the campaign, uses a modular board configured differently to represent new locations and obstacles, requiring fresh strategies

Not a lot of images because things do not change all that much in this type of game and there is a limit to how many images of basically the same thing anyone might want to see, but here is what I have.


The board tiles set up for Chapter 1


Two of the Baddies - Capt. Moran (I think) on the left and Irene Adler on the right


Good and Bad Minions - a London Bobby on the left and a Victorian zombie on the right!


This Distressed Damsel was also a good "minion"


Character card for my "gentleman"!


The cards for the two baddies featured in the earlier piccy


Emma Swanson figure


Chris's figure - don't know her name - I think she is some kind of benevolent spirit


Chris confronts a zombie minion


We had to move around the board, getting adjacent to the policemen, to get clues from them, which was achieved in exactly the same way as inflicting hits on baddies was.


Sherlock Holmes was absent from Game 1 but the figure on the right is Dr John Watson.

We won the first game (just) by gathering four clues. A break for lasagne and salad was followed by Chapter 2.


New figures and a new layout were introduced - the above is Ira Kodich, "a cult priestess and a powerful Nemesis Agent who specializes in occult rituals, summoning magic, and commanding specialized minions like Dismembered Zombies"


The goodies start all together in one small room in the middle of the board.


The man himself, S Holmes Esq, joined us - don't ask me why he is modelled lugging some weird creature around in a large trunk!


The mission was to stop the spirit or ghost or something of Dr Moriarty getting from one end of the board to the other. Holmes had a special weapon that could inflict damage and 5 hits were required. Chris and I could grab one of three "Magic Bullets", as per below:


So basically, when I got one, I was able to use my standard firearm with 4 dice, plus one dice for spending an ether token, to magically fire at Moriarty at the far end of the table, through intervening walls, rooms, and characters!  I rolled two hits but the circle with the arrow means reroll misses, so I did, and ended up with four hits, none of which the Evil One saved!


Which was just as well because Irene Adler was busy almost snuffing out Mr Holmes (she succeeded in dispatching his off-sider Dr Watson!)


It was a close-run thing - Chris got to roll three dice for his magic bullet but failed to hit anything. Holmes only just escaped the evil clutches of Fraulein Adler and managed to get off a shot with his magic firearm and extinguish Moriarty just before the Evil One would have exited the board and won the game for the Nemisis.

Not our usual fare and not what I would have chosen but it was certainly a good laugh and an easy couple of games to end the working week and wish Julian "Bon Voyage" for his trip.

35 comments:

  1. The game has some nice looking miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looked interesting. To my internal shame, I think I backed this as a kickstarter. When it finally arrived, the enthusiasm for the game long evaporated, it was hidden at the back of the wardrobe of woe. Seeing you enjoy a couple of games with fabulous looking miniatures I might yet have to dig it out and dust it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - well, if my post has encouraged you to dig the game out Michale, I count it as time well spent! The figures are great and could be used in all sorts of weird and fantastical settings.

      Delete
    2. So, by way of an update, I went and had a rummage and oh dear Lord! I found the core game, Rise of Moloch, but with a couple of expansions too!

      Delete
  3. Not the sort of thing I'd purchase either, but it does look like fun. I could be tempted if I had some fellow gamers who were interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I definitely wouldn't ever buy any of these boardgames that Julian likes, but I don't mind playing them occasionally.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking miniatures, suitably weird! Looks like a fun game, not my usual but very interesting for all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Donnie, I think we are in agreement on the figures and game.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of the game but the figures are awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scotty - they are great figures, aren't they?

      Delete
    2. I am with you, Neil. Figures are ace!

      Delete
  6. That looked a lot of fun, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, lovely looking game sir😍 !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, your sort of game and figures I would think!

      Delete
  8. A fun looking game and indeed lovely looking figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - the hard plastic figures in these games Julian buys really are very nice.

      Delete
  9. Ooh very steam punk. I likes it. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM - absolutely 100% Steam Punk!

      Delete
  10. A great looking game Keith with the usual characters plus some ring-ins.

    Why can't Demon Lord Moloch come to London? Would it clean up the smog? Bring down property prices? Make a mess in Hyde Park or buy up all the real estate in Westminster? Go onto welfare and demand a seat in the House of Lords? I guess it just goes with the current environment, maybe they should add Nigel Farage to the "goodies" 😂😂😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good questions there, Ben although I cannot imagine any circumstances where Nigel Farage would be a "goody"!

      Delete
    2. Well it is a fantasy game 😂 But probably to far fetched 😂

      Delete
  11. Nicely painted figures bring a lot of atmosphere to a boardgame. Julian's large table is going to be missed! Bon Voyage indeed. Everywhere is very hot at the moment, but we are moving into the time of year when the heat should pull back a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, and yes, I agree - I would not be half as interested in playing this game, if the characters were represented by cardboard tiles or coloured blocks a la Cluedo!

      Delete
  12. That game looks a lot of fun Keith! Colonel Moran looks formidable! I must confess that I hadn't heard of the game before but it looks very impressive! Best wishes, Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason - it may just have been the way we were playing it, but we had quite a few laughs getting through it!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a fun game and the figures are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain - a week ago n ow - but yes, we all had a bit of a laugh at various points in these two games!

      Delete
  14. Fun looking game that sounds like it would indeed be a hoot. Julian certainly paints up his game pieces well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dai - Julian has really mastered the new "speed" paints technique very well.

      Delete
  15. Great looking figures - all very characterfully painted! I havent' really played boardgames with figs like this very much, but I can see why they'd be fun. I must expand my gaming repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - it's thanks to Julian we get the opportunity to try this different genre occasionally - left to ourselves, I don't think any of us would play boardgames, with the exception of Andrew.

      Delete
  16. A nice 'beer and pretzels' game it would seem and as always, plenty of really nice figures to see:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - it was a fun way to pass a couple of hours

      Delete