Sunday 18 August 2024

Another Repost From August 2016.

As I have nothing much completed in terms of new figures, nor have I had a game since the 15mm WWII at Barrys, I went with an easy option and picked another game report from the first month of my blogging career, first posted eight years ago:

Wednesday 24 August 2016

Last night I had a game of "Heroes of Normandie", a French WW2 board game. I am not usually a big fan of boardgames but we substituted 15mm figures for the standard tiles that come with the game, and this made it feel more like a REAL wargame!

The mechanics of the game took quite a long time to explain so we only had about a couple of hours of actual play - we did not get the game finished but my Germans were holding their own at the time we finished about 2145.

The scenario  was St Mere Eglise - the Germans had foiled the first attack by the US paras and it was night time. Five of the German units were actually bedded down in the streets of the town at the commencement of the game!

The US player had to sneak on through the surrounding bocage and assault the town. There were about twenty buildings in total, of which one was the primary target and three others were secondary targets - the US player had to capture the primary target and two of the three secondary targets to win the game.

The box that the game arrived in

The scenario book for the game that we played


This is "most" of the game board showing the town of St Mere Eglise that my German forces were called upon to defend against the US paras. The target buildings are marked with crosses - yellow at three corners for the secondary buildings including the church in the bottom left, and red for the primary target in the "centre de ville"


Two of the German units "asleep" in the shelter of the church at the start of the game. They had to remain abed until the first shots were fired, at which time they would, not surprisingly, arise from their slumber and join the fray!

An SdKfz 250 representing a PzKfw II that we did not have a model for. This may not seem a very impressive AFV for mid 1944 but when pitted against an all-infantry force, its 37mm gun and twin MG's were pretty effective!


On the first move, this para bazooka team sprinted forward, took aim at the Panzer, and needing a Three to hit it, rolled a Two!


When it came around to the AFV's turn to return fire, it did so with the MG, needing a 2 to hit and kill the bazooka team - and rolled a Five - first blood to the Wehrmacht!


Two German scout units advanced out of the town to bring the fight to the enemy in the surrounding countryside. The US paras got first go but fluffed the dice rolling.


The Germans responded with grenades and wiped out the US unit with a perfect Six!


The Germans and US paras traded blows for a couple more turns but the US player had some unfortunate dice rolling and failed to inflict any casualties on the defenders. The Germans, on the other hand, continued to whittle down the attacking force. In the final move of the game, a German squad sprinted from cover and engaged the US commander figure - who had been injured in the jump and was being carried in a chair by members of his unit - a historical fact apparently! The Germans won the fight, and the US group was pushed back - if we had carried on for another turn, perhaps the officer would have been eliminated?


A general view of the position as we finished the game - US paras can be seen in the countryside to the bottom and right of the picture. The German unit that engaged the US commander started at the position marked by the black Four to the bottom left of the picture and ended up adjacent to the green One, near the road.



The view from the German lines near the church, at the top right in the previous picture. These units had successfully engaged and eliminated two or three US squads in this area.

Now, I have been accused of always enjoying a game where I do well, so maybe that has coloured my judgement, but this game was good fun and I will be happy to give the system another try soon, which is good news for my opponent, as he has invested a small fortune in obtaining a plethora of map boards and scenarios using this system - watch this space!

23 comments:

  1. Do you think the idea of Summer Re-runs will catch on? I guess that would be Winter are-runs for you. I have early posts that I suspect might receive more interest a second time around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it would be a good idea for all bloggers, Jon....I will get back to some original content too, but I have been thinking, one rerun per week for the next little while would not go amiss!

      Delete
    2. to be honest, I don't *personally* enjoy this idea. I don't quite understand the reasoning. Just don't post for a bit. why feel the need to keep to a grueling 2 (or 3) posts a week schedule?

      I have labels and an archive on my blog so if someone wants to do a deep dive they can.

      it could be, just be me. I don't really want to come off as critical or negative. it's just not my thing, even more so than Napoleonics.

      Delete
    3. Aww....come on Stew, don't raun on my parade...all the other feedback was positive....even if people are just being polite!
      (I must remember NOT to repost anything involving Napoleonic figures or games....you would really hate that!!)

      Delete
  2. Good to see a 'blast from the past' game there Keith. Not my sort of game but plenty of people like this sort of thing though and our hobby is richer for it. I looked back through some of my early posts that garnered no hits at all and frankly doubt they would now;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reference my comment above to Jon, Steve, I reckon you should give a rerun or two a try, and see what reaction you get!

      Delete
  3. That does look fun, the printed tiles are rather splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, and yes, the artwork on these game boards are really very nice indeed 👍

      Delete
  4. Not a game I would usually play but interesting all the same, I must admit I am enjoying your posts from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, I enjoyed it well enough, although have probably only played it two or three more times in the intervening eight years!
      I am glad you are enjoying my reruns too...look out for more soon!

      Delete
  5. I have nothing against board games per se. Just depends which ones they are--and I maintain a goodly stack of "oldies but goodies" from the olden days that I keep telling myself I'll get to play one more time. The ability to hybrid a wargame with mnis certainly does make it more viable, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed....as a teenager, I always liked the idea of SPL (I think they were?) and similar boardgames, advertised in Military Modelling, but never actually acquired or played any.
      To me, the hobby is 80% about the toy soldiers, so boards and tiny cardboard markers don't really do it for me. Introducing smaller scale figures, as you say, does make the idea more appealing!

      Delete
  6. An enjoyable trip down memory lane Keith…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does look like a fun game Keith, and well worth revisiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun for me at least Lawrence! I'm quite enjoying reposting some of my earlier efforts, so expect to see more of these in the coming weeks, interspersed with some new stuff too.

      Delete
  8. Good looking game and the minis certainly add to it Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting looking game, but I don’t have any suitable players locally at the moment for such endeavours ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt (just released this comment from spam, for some reason!) That is one of the very few advantages of living in a city of 1.5m+ inhabitants - at least I am not the only wargamer in the area!

      Delete
  10. Interesting game and nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia looking at old games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, I am glad you don't mind an occasional rerun!

      Delete
  11. Carefully selected past articles might be appealing, but from personal experience I tend to remove old posts that do not have 'legs' for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete