Wednesday 7 August 2024

More Perry Plastic AWI - Col Sherburnes Additional Continental Regiment

Sherburne's Additional Continental Regiment (a.k.a. Sherburne's Battalion) was a unit of the Continental Army which served from January 1, 1777, until it was disbanded on January 1, 1781. It was commanded by Colonel Henry Sherburne.

History

Sherburne's Regiment was one of sixteen additional regiments authorized by the Continental Congress in late 1776. It was organized on January 12, 1777, with soldiers mostly recruited from Rhode Island and Connecticut. It was at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania during the winter of 1777 to 1778 and was engaged at the Battle of Rhode Island in August 1778. In 1779 the regiment was stationed at West Point, New York, where they built Sherburne's Redoubt - a small fortification covering the land approaches to Fort Clinton.

It was also engaged at the Battle of Staten Island on January 15, 1780. It was disbanded in January 1781 when it was consolidated with the 1st and 2nd Rhode Island regiments to form the Rhode Island Regiment. 

Sherburne's Additional Continental Regiment

Authorized 12 January 1777 in the Continental Army as Sherburne's Additional Continental Regiment. Organized in spring 1777 at Fishkill, New York, to consist of three companies from Rhode Island and three companies from eastern Connecticut. Assigned 12 June 1777 to the 1st Connecticut Brigade, an element of the Highland's Department.

Relieved 21 June 1777 from the 1st Connecticut Brigade and assigned to the Rhode Island Brigade, an element of the Highland's Department.

Relieved 14 September 1777 from the Rhode Island Brigade and assigned to the 1st Connecticut Brigade, an element of the Highland's Department.

Relieved 21 July 1778 from the 1st Connecticut Brigade and assigned to the Rhode Island Brigade, an element of the Eastern Department.

Relieved 17 November 1779 from the Rhode Island Brigade and assigned to Stark's Brigade, an element of the Main Army.

Disbanded 1 May 1780 at Morristown, New Jersey when it was consolidated with the 1st and 2nd Rhode Island regiments to form the Rhode Island Regiment.

Significant Campaigns and Battles

The regiment would see action during the New York and New Jersey Campaign (1776-77) and the Philadelphia Campaign 1777-78. It took part in the following major battles:

Battle of Rhode Island (1778)

Battle of Staten Island (1777)

And now, without further ado, some eye candy!




I could find no info on the regiments colours, so have "conjectured"(ie made up!) a dark green field with a small version of the "Betsy Ross" (no relation - that I know of!) flag in the upper canton






I decided to give this unit a more "uniform" appearance by giving every man a matching regulation pack.



My sources varied on the colour of the coat turnback - the Perrys guide showed yellow whereas other references showed turnback's as being white - I decided to go with the Perry version.



Very happy with how these have turned out - and it's on to the next Patriot unit! I have assembled all the remaining Warlord figures, a total of 38, but minus heads, so far - I just need to decide what units I am going to paint them up as, which will determine the appropriate headgear. I am also deficient command elements for these and won't have enough for the remaining Perry figures either, so when mate Mark sends off another Perry order in the next few weeks, I will grab a few extra command elements, plus some other bits n pieces!

Thanks for stopping by and supporting my blog.

37 comments:

  1. And don't they look nice!! Great job, Keith!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work here Keith- these figures are terrific- certainly well sculpted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, yes, the Perry miniatures are always excellent.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking pack of rebels, nice flag!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain and glad you like the flag too!

      Delete
  4. A fine body of men there Keith and there simple uniforms in muted colours work a treat. In fact I prefer them to the more 'gaudy' colours used by the Regulars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I liked the unusual mix of colours, hence the reason for picking this unit to add to the collection

      Delete
  5. Brilliant choice of unit to pick Keith, the uniform is a cracker, nice potted history on them as well. They have turned out lovely, great work on them, super addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, they look the business. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking forward to these Keith and they look great. That combination of colours really seems to work and I'll have to remember it when I start on my Continentals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence...I think you may have suggested I do this unit?? If so, good pick 👍

      Delete
  8. Lovely work on that unit! And the flag looks perfectly feasible too. :-) (Would love to find time and energy to do some AWI flags - one day, hopefully...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and that is praise indeed from the king of wargaming flag design/creation! Personally, I would like you to look at the GNW, too 😆

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Keith. A minor vexillological princeling, perhaps - ha ha. ;-) Yes, GNW is on the now very long To Do list. Perhaps, like the legendary wargamers' unpainted figures heap, it will keep me alive for ever having so many flags still to do!

      Delete
    3. Thanks David - I certainly hope your flag making has the desired effect on your own longevity!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Keith. We shall no doubt see! ;-)

      Delete
  9. Love the brown-coat look: always much smarter than you would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially, when looking at American AWI units, I was not too keen on the brown coats - but they have grown on me!

      Delete
  10. Gosh. Seems like if you post on a game day, I miss your post. Great result and I have always been a fan of brown-coated Rebel regiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - thanks Jon - as to my previous post re the Friday game, you don't seem to be the only one who missed it! Its an interesting phenomenon I have noticed (I should gather some data and send it to you for analysis!), Anecdotally, my painting posts seem to attract more comments than my game reports - on average - which almost seems counter intuitive.....

      Delete
    2. What I meant was when your post coincides with one of my game days, it often slips under my RADAR since I am occupied for much of the day and a number of posts hit my feed and I can miss some. I think painting posts receive more comments because they are much easier to respond to than a BatRep. I notice the same phenomenon.

      Delete
    3. Ah right - sorry - as you correctly inferred, I thought you meant when I posted on a day I had gamed, you missed it, rather that when I post on a day that you are gaming on!

      Delete
  11. Very nice Keith I might borrow these for my 10mm project once I clear the militia.
    Excellent stuff.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all Stu - I am proud to be your AWI influencer!

      Delete
  12. You're cracking on with the rebels Keith. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - bit of a speed wobble at the moment, nothing much has happened for the last 2-3 days!

      Delete
  13. Great looking figures Keith.
    The marching pose is appropriate as they seem to have been very busy. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, they certainly seemed to move from one brigade/division to another with monotonous regularity Ben!

      Delete
  14. A very fine looking unit there Keith.

    ReplyDelete