Friday 2 November 2018

Old Glory additions to WW1 in East Africa

Yes, it IS a long time since I last posted figures for this mini project - in fact, it has never really been completed, as I didn't ever buy all the figures I had intended to do, but things have moved on in our group and perhaps we will never have another game of this era - that is the only problem with having so many different figure collections to game with - we tend to do two or three games, then move on to a new period!

Anyway, the dearth of figures to paint forced me to drag out the second batch of 15 Old Glory Boer War Mounted Infantry in slouch hats, who I had cunningly re tasked as S African cavalry circa 1915-17 in East Africa.

Here are the first 9 figures painted and based - might get the other six done over the weekend although almost all day Saturday is taken up with a friend's son's wedding....










12 comments:

  1. Is a project really ever finished? I still await that answer for myself.

    These Old Glory Boers look terrific! These Boers have many of the same poses as the Spanish-American War figures and I love the Span-Am figures. Excellent sculpts and a fine range of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I agree, the bulk of OG figures are great and they represent excellent bang for your buck. These are actually British Mounted Infantry from the Boer War range - my research indicates the British Army was using the same version of the SMLE rifle in 1900 as in 1915, so I thought they would do for the later period!

      Delete
  2. They look great. I love the basing. And I hope we haven't seen the last of East Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate - the guys did have an E Africa game a few Sundays back but unfortunately I missed that one

      Delete
  3. Well done Keith. We could have done with this unit in the last game! We must get another one going in this period. In truth we could easily follow on from the last game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - yes it would be nice to get these boys on the table again - maybe at JB's one Friday evening - although I think many of the troops would be absent, as they were painted by people who don't generally attend the Friday evening sessions

      Delete
  4. What a splendid uniform...Great painting and basing, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Phil - the uniform is pretty simple to be fair - a lot easier than painting Napoleonics!

      Delete
  5. Nicely done Kieth...
    It’s always nice to see WW1 that isn’t just mud brown and trenches.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Aly - I suspect that's why so many wargames of WWI are in the Middle East, E Africa or some other remote and minor theatre - I have never seen the point of lining up 1000 figures then having the defending player roll 600 dice and everything except a one is a casualty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice figures, lovely work on a relatively unusual subject!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Iain - hopefully will get onto the remaining six figures this evening - the entire weekend disappeared in other activities......

    ReplyDelete