Wednesday 30 January 2019

War of 1812 Canadian Provincial Light Cavalry

As mentioned previously, here are the "spare" four Perry plastic British Light Dragoons in Tarleton helmets painted up as Provincial Cavalry, based on this illustration:

Seems like this unit was dissolved in August 1813 but I am sure they will appear in later actions in our versions of the war!

Here are three images of the four figures completed. As it was a small unit I may only do two more figures - a command element, which can be purchased separately from the Perry's







10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I think its a pretty splendid uniform too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work, and you can't beat a Tarleton helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree Lawrence - many years ago I even had a friend convert a bunch of Front Rank Brits into the 90th foot by substituting Light Dragoon heads onto the standard infantry bodies - of course, with Perry Plastics I could now do this myself, but no one need TWO units of the 90th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with the above - the Tarleton helmet is a classy item! Nice work Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which begs the question - why did the British Army go and substitute shakos instead?? Copying the bloody French, that's why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it was the Prince Regent's idea/decree, which was not well received by Wellington and the British Army. Wellington was rightly concerned that his light cavalry would be confused as French.

    A superb foursome of provincial dragoons. Well done. It has given me inspiration to get around to painting my Knuckleduster provincial light cavalry.
    http://warof1812war-gaming.blogspot.com/2019/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Rod - and thanks also for the link to your blog - I just visited and was very impressed by what I saw, so will be back! I may get around to purchasing some more Knuckleduster figures - particularly the Canadian cavalry and British in winter uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking cavalry unit, love the Tarleton!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the kind words Iain :)

    ReplyDelete