Saturday 2 February 2019

War of 1812 or Napoleonic Brig

Today I have basically spent the entire day working on this ship. I started about 7am and finished about 10pm. In between, I went out for breakfast with my wife for a couple of hours in the morning, ate dinner then watched the news 545 - 630 pm and took the dog for a walk at Kariotahi beach 7pm - 830pm.

The rest of the time was spent on this master piece - tomorrow, I may get a chance to undercoat it!

Thanks to Gary Chalk who created the templates used to build this ship

Above - Original illustrations from Gary Chalk's article

The plans that were part of the article - I glued these to thin card then cut them out for templates - so I can create a sister ship if required.....

The templates all ready to go about 730am Saturday morning

I realized I needed THREE of the deck shapes - one for the base, the second for the deck and the third for the quarter deck, foredeck and prow sections.

This looks very similar to one of the illustrations in the original article - which I took to be a good sign!

Holes were aligned through upper and lower deck to ensure the masts would be perpendicular to the deck.

Dry run assembly before applying any PVA glue....

I used plastic clothes pegs as clamps to hold things in place while the glue dried. Masts are going to be created from kebab skewers, as I thought dowel was a bit too "Chunky"
About fifteen stages and eight hours later - this is how the vessel looks at the moment

From directly above.....

From a side angle....

...and with the two masts in position. I used some thin string I had to bind around the join between the upper and lower parts of the two masts. I made mine slightly shorter than suggested in the plan because I thought that worked better aesthetically.

My plan now is to paint the ship up in black and yellow a la Royal Navy circa 1800-1820. I have checked several images and decided that the hull and masts will be yellow, with the spars and fighting tops black. On the hull, all the beading is also black.  I think the model has come out pretty well and I just need to make sure I take time to get the paint work right!


12 comments:

  1. That is going to look fantastic when it is completed. I remember that article, but it always looked a little beyond my modelling abilities. I might be advanced enough now to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nat - to be honest, I found the pdf of the article on line six or eight months ago and printed it off - but its been sitting there waiting for me to overcome my trepidation! I had some miscuts and a few "bodges" but it has come out ok I think!

      Delete
  2. Great work again Keith, and I'll look forward to seeing this painted up. That Royal Navy scheme is iconic and always looks good on a model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lawrence - yes, the yellow and black paint scheme looks very nice - hopefully I can do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Keith. It is good to see that you have spent the weekend wisely. That boat is going to be particularly useful in our landing games. You will be pleased to note, no doubt, that I too have spent my time wisely too, building the seacoast artillery to repel such landings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark - not sure my dear wife agrees with the adverb you have used above! The ship has come out quite small, so I may try an experiment to see if I can enlarge the templates by 50% and add a mast to create a Frigate-esque vessel.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative and outstanding job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Phil - I still have quite a bit of work to do on it however!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great Keith...
    I’m looking forward to seeing the painted model.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Aly - I have put in an hour or so tonight - might be a few more sessions before its ready for a "reveal"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking ship! Can't wait to see it finished!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Iain - she is almost there - but I keep having to add things - and yesterday I spent a couple of hours online looking at model ship suppliers for cannons...and anchors...and stern lamps...and...oh well, you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete